The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nail Yakupov -- The Next Elite NHL Superstar.

Guest Voucer

Obviously I know what his stats looked like. I've been saying all along that he would have went 1st or 2nd overall in the 2011 draft. However, that has little to do with my original point.

...and are we really going to say he had a better season?

PPG Average

Yakupov: 101 points in 65 games- 1.55

RNH: 106 points in 69 games- 1.54

A difference of about a point over the 69 games that RNH played. It should also be noted that RNH played in the WHL which is usually tougher to put up big numbers in compared to the OHL, he played for a coach that rolled all four lines so he saw less ice time than most junior stars and he also played for a very defensive team. I couldn't tell you the specifics of Yakupov's situation but I'd imagine it was similar to most junior stars. Considering he played for a worse team, I bet his situation was similar to Tyler Seguin's was in Plymouth. He was likely the only real consistent offensive threat so his ice time was through the roof.

Good points.

Yakupov is also a little bit more physically mature than RNH so that probably helped him pick up more points, but it also allowed him to be a very solid hitter and forechecker, some things RNH doesn't really bring to the table.

Even though they are very different players, they're are both going to be huge stars in the NHL.

Obviously I know what his stats looked like. I've been saying all along that he would have went 1st or 2nd overall in the 2011 draft. However, that has little to do with my original point.

...and are we really going to say he had a better season?

PPG Average

Yakupov: 101 points in 65 games- 1.55

RNH: 106 points in 69 games- 1.54

A difference of about a point over the 69 games that RNH played. It should also be noted that RNH played in the WHL which is usually tougher to put up big numbers in compared to the OHL, he played for a coach that rolled all four lines so he saw less ice time than most junior stars and he also played for a very defensive team. I couldn't tell you the specifics of Yakupov's situation but I'd imagine it was similar to most junior stars. Considering he played for a worse team, I bet his situation was similar to Tyler Seguin's was in Plymouth. He was likely the only real consistent offensive threat so his ice time was through the roof.

http://sports.yahoo....urn=nhl-wp15952

Who could he be compared to?

"That's a good question," TSN's Bob McKenzie told me last week. "You can't say Ovechkin because he is not as physical or as powerful. He will get his nose dirty to score a goal. But he won't necessarily overpower you the way Ovechkin did. The very first time you see Ovechkin, we saw him as a 17 year old, the thing that impressed you was not just that he was fast, he could score goals and had a great shot, but that he ran people over. There's a difference in that. But I am not sure there is a Russian winger that he could be compared to. I don't want to say Semin either. I don't have a good answer for you on that."

"He reminds me of Bure," Russian National Junior Team head coach Valeri Bragin told Sovetsky Sport's Pavel Lysenkov on Monday. "He is just as quick, a good goal-scoring winger. He is not as big as Ovechkin or Kovalchuk were when they were drafted, but he is very quick. I am really looking forward to playing him for the National Team after not having seen him play a year."

Why is it that Russian prospects always have to be compared to Russian players.... Yakupov is NOTHING like Bure... he's closer to Ovechkin because he's got some grit.

The best comparison would actually be a player like Rick Nash.

I dont think it matter where a player is born.

I REALLY hope the Jackets don't get Nailed. Their history of top prospect development can be described as rushed, considering how top guys like Zherdev (Europe), Alex Picard (AHL), Brule (AHL), Brassard (4 pts in 15 games to start this season), Filatov (AHL) and Mason (struggling currently) just off the top of my head were all young, talented guys who had the chance to flourish, while guys like Voracek were expected to carry the load early on in their careers, but unfortunately they didn't develop the proper environment to bring these guys along slowly before inserting them into the Jackets lineup.

I really hope that, unless Nail's like Crosby as a savior-type player who can play with Nash and develop a one-two punch right away (hopefully with an actual playmaker between them) I'd rather they slow down his development by giving him time in the minors like they did with Johansen before bringing them in too quickly and spoiling their potential

Nash - Johansen - Yakupov

This line, if developed properly could be QUITE deadly

EDIT: also, would you guys consider it accurate to compare him with Alex Radulov? I see very similar styles and production between the two Russian right wings

Yakupov put up 101 points in his rookie season and his first season in North America. It's not really a proper comparable. Stamkos only put up 92 pts in his rookie season, RNH 65. Yakupov has all-world speed, east-west shiftiness, and unbelievable puck skills. Yakupov has outstanding hockey sense, and it is the reason why he is able to be such a dynamic player; in identifying shooting and passing lanes, in timing his moves and dangles. I can't believe Yakupov's release on his wrist shot. Yakupov's shot is very tough to read because he has no release point, like a backhand. Very few hockey players have this kind of shot, and none of the notable goal scorers like Ovechkin, Stamkos, or Crosby do. Oddly enough, Turris does.

Brule is not a comparable at all. While Brule's injuries had a hand in his bust status, the reason why he busted was his poor hockey sense. He still was/is capable of being a depth player despite it all.

The fact that you speak in such generalities makes me think you don't know much about Yakupov at all. There's a reason why scouts are so high on him, and they know a lot more about hockey than you and I. Losing Galchenyuk will hurt his stats considerably, but he's still on pace to have an outstanding draft year. There's a reason why he's being touted as a can't miss prospect by scouts that see the little traits that will translate.

• 2 weeks later...

Just so everyone remembers first overall pick goes in a lottery, so even though Columbus will probably come in last, there is still a better chance on of the other bottom 5 teams get the pick.

I think you missed my point. I'm not bashing him. You don't need to convince me he's a good player. I'm not even saying he won't be better than RNH. I've said a few times that he likely would have went 1st or 2nd in 2011. All I'm saying(for probably the 3rd or 4th time) is that people shouldn't look at Yakupov's stats at the end of the season and say "he got 135 points in his draft year so he's sooo much better than RNH and Stamkos"...because he was only 3 weeks away from being drafted in 2011 and having his draft year be his 17 year old season just like RNH and Stamkos.

IMO age is more important than when his rookie season in the OHL was. We're still just talking about junior here. The North American style isn't going to be a huge shock to his system. The good players can do it. Like I said before, if he was 3 weeks older he'd likely be playing for the Oilers or Avs at this very moment. So of course he's going to light up the OHL. Nugent-Hopkins is producing at a 38 goal/71 point pace(small sample size) in the NHL. I'm sure he could be producing 2 points per game in junior had been sent back as well.

Edit: ...and for the record, I said in a previous point that I don't know the specifics of his situation. I'm not trying to mislead people and pass myself off as some Nail Yakupov expert. I've also been speaking in general terms because I haven't always been talking specifically about Yakupov. Someone said that he would put up more points early in his career than RNH because he plays a grittier game. I commented on why I didn't think that's always the case. I even used Taylor Hall(my team's franchise player) as my example.

Archived