Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

* * * * * 1 votes

Nail Yakupov -- The Next Elite NHL Superstar.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
218 replies to this topic

#151 Greene02

Greene02

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,820 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 10:28 PM

I hope the Islanders get him, but the Islanders never seem to suck all the way, just enough to be a failure of a team, but not enough to be a lottery team. Tavares setting up Yakupov would be a perfect situation for him.

The Islanders have drafted in the top 5 three straight years.

I think the biggest difference between the Oilers and Islanders right now is the veterans. No offense to Staios, Rolston, Pandolfo, Eaton and Reasoner...but they're not Smyth, Horcoff, Whitney, Belanger and Hemsky. There is a difference between being an effective player with experience and just being old. Their young players don't have anyone to take the pressure off them. Take Eberle for example. He may be top 10 in scoring and the Oilers 1st line right winger...but Hemsky is on the second line. He was selected to play in the ASG last season. There are nights when the opposition decides Hemsky is the bigger threat and that leaves Eberle/RNH with weaker Dmen to deal with. It's a nice luxury for the young players.

You add some legit leadership to go along with a core made up of Tavares, Strome, Niederreiter, de Haan, Hamonic, Nelson, Bailey and Okposo...and they won't need Yakupov to be a contender in a few years.

#152 Baercheese

Baercheese

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,734 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 01:44 AM

it's looking more and more likely that it may just be the case. talk about a huge year for winnipeg, eh? they not only get a team back, but they also get the #1 draft pick and future superstar as well? not a bad way to start off a new franchise in the least.

Scheifele and Yakupov for the next 10 years in the NW division?

DO NOT WANT

3499h5x.jpg
Johnny Gaudreau>any Casucks

Edler, Markstrom, Hansen, 2nd round pick 2014 to Islanders for Ryan Strome, 5th overall pick 2014

This is fairly even as well.

#153 Jumpin Jack Flash

Jumpin Jack Flash

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 10:51 AM

The Islanders have drafted in the top 5 three straight years.

I think the biggest difference between the Oilers and Islanders right now is the veterans. No offense to Staios, Rolston, Pandolfo, Eaton and Reasoner...but they're not Smyth, Horcoff, Whitney, Belanger and Hemsky. There is a difference between being an effective player with experience and just being old. Their young players don't have anyone to take the pressure off them. Take Eberle for example. He may be top 10 in scoring and the Oilers 1st line right winger...but Hemsky is on the second line. He was selected to play in the ASG last season. There are nights when the opposition decides Hemsky is the bigger threat and that leaves Eberle/RNH with weaker Dmen to deal with. It's a nice luxury for the young players.

You add some legit leadership to go along with a core made up of Tavares, Strome, Niederreiter, de Haan, Hamonic, Nelson, Bailey and Okposo...and they won't need Yakupov to be a contender in a few years.

I have really lost confidence that either Okposo or Bailey will ever thrive with the Isles. Both these guys will be good 2nd-3rd liners but simply will never live up to their draft positions, something the Oilers prospects have already done.
Once Strome, Tavares, de Haan, and Niederreiter start producing they will be a great team however.

#154 Boone Jenner

Boone Jenner

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 04:36 PM

It will be columbus and it will be another Nikita Filatov sitch.

#155 Froggy Fresh

Froggy Fresh

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 05:56 PM

Imagine if this guy ends up being a bust...

Posted Image

Credit to (>'-')> for the amazing sig!

#156 Greene02

Greene02

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,820 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 10:48 PM

I have really lost confidence that either Okposo or Bailey will ever thrive with the Isles. Both these guys will be good 2nd-3rd liners but simply will never live up to their draft positions, something the Oilers prospects have already done.
Once Strome, Tavares, de Haan, and Niederreiter start producing they will be a great team however.

I still have faith in Okposo. I agree that he likely won't reach the level most of us thought he was capable of but there is still something there. As for Bailey...I always think he was drafted in 2009 when he was actually drafted in 2008. Plus he was born on Oct 2nd, 1989. If he was 2 weeks older he would have been drafted in 2007. So I'm thinking of him as a 20 year old when he's really 22 and has done absolutely nothing in the NHL(his AHL stats are very good). I think the fact that Niederreiter and Strome aren't in the NHL right now is a sign that the Islanders learned from their mistake with Bailey.

#157 BraveHart

BraveHart

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 11:15 PM

NHL 12 has him at 5`3....

Posted Image

#158 soshified

soshified

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,856 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 12:19 AM

Somehow, we'll win the lottery and use that 1st round pick to draft Yakupov ;)

#159 Joel Heyman

Joel Heyman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,674 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 07:28 PM

NHL 12 has him at 5`3....

Naw, it's actually 5'1, he probably grew a bit before you got him in your Be A GM. It's quite odd, they had the same problem with Tobias Rieder last year to.. Posted Image

i44w87.jpgryanroyazzopardi+rolled+a+random+image+p
Blue Team

#160 The Listening

The Listening

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 09:24 PM

If Columbus/Florida/Winnipeg draft him, say goodbye to his potential. Their development will destroy him.
Posted Image
"...For everything under the sun, I owe you one... "
- Lights <3

burrows coughs up the puck on the PP, what an idiot he better score the ot winner.

#161 Try Again

Try Again

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 10:31 PM

If Columbus/Florida/Winnipeg draft him, say goodbye to his potential. Their development will destroy him.

florida under Tallon is different
but he'll be under the radar for sure
Posted Image

#162 WeatherWise

WeatherWise

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 12:47 PM

Another article, and an injury status update:

The Globe and Mail: http://www.theglobea...article2252878/

Russian star Yakupov pegged to go No. 1 in NHL draft
DARREN YOURK
Sarnia, Ont.— From Tuesday's Globe and Mail
Published Monday, Nov. 28, 2011 9:24PM EST
Last updated Tuesday, Nov. 29, 2011 8:35PM EST

There is a tendency among the cynics in the press box to want to toss a wrench into the gears of the hype machine when writing about "The Next One" in any given sport.

In this case the subject is 18-year-old Nail Yakupov, the left-handed Russian right winger tearing apart the Ontario Hockey League for the Sarnia Sting. The second overall pick in the 2010 Canadian Hockey League import draft, he arrived in this southwestern Ontario border town with a bang last season, scoring 49 goals and 101 points to smash the franchise rookie scoring record previously held by Steven Stamkos.

Yakupov is the darling of the NHL 2012 draft class, the kind of elite talent scouts say doesn't come along all that often and a player with the sort of raw potential that has fans of the NHL's more moribund squads advocating "Fail For Nail" campaigns.

"Just talking to guys at rinks, they all say they don't need to watch him any more, he's the No. 1," said a scout from a Canadian-based franchise who first saw Yakupov play in 2009 as an underage member of Team Russia at the Ivan Hlinka Memorial tournament.

"He stood out back then against guys who were two years older than him," the scout said. "I thought we'd pick over the kid so much that by the time he was draft eligible he'd be just another ordinary player. It hasn't happened because he's one of those kids who every night does something unexpected and that makes him a special player."

Leafing through a pile of scribbled notes taken while watching Yakupov play twice in a week, it's hard to find negatives among the endless lines of superlatives and exclamation points. Sometimes when he comes over the boards it feels as if the entire rink tilts to the right and the puck just finds him, like it does all the special ones.

He has explosive speed and a lightning-quick release; he sees the ice well and finds his teammates with accurate passes; at 5 foot 10 and 170 pounds he's not physically imposing, but doesn't shy away from contact. He has an intense, focused glare that Mark Messier would approve of. Under the tutelage of first-year Sting head coach Jacques Beaulieu he's rounding out his defensive game, backchecking just as hard as he goes toward the offensive zone.

"If you want to play in the NHL you need to have good offence and good defence," Yakupov said. "I need to be better in every part of my game. There is still a lot to work on."

Yakupov's agent, Russian hockey legend Igor Larionov, said the improving two-way game is all part of his client's rapid development.

"It's very rare to see a Russian player at this age have the strength and understanding to play the game both ways," Larionov said. "He can score goals, he can set up goals, but he also wants to backcheck. It tells me he respects the game of hockey, respects his teammates and the fans. He plays at 100 per cent every night."

Some wondered how Yakupov would fare without his regular centreman, close friend and fellow top prospect Alex Galchenyuk, who has been sidelined all season by knee surgery. Galchenyuk and his family played a vital role in easing Yakupov's transition to both a new league and country, and their on-ice chemistry is undeniable.

"It has been very tough because we worked so well last year," Yakupov said. "He knows what I'm going to do out there and I know what he's going to do. It's not easy without him."

The statistics say otherwise. Despite teams focusing their defensive game plans on him, Yakupov has 18 goals and 28 assists in 23 games this season to put him ahead of last year's pace.

His play has meant increased media scrutiny, but Yakupov seems happy enough to tell yet another reporter about growing up in Nizhnekamsk, a city in the Russian republic of Tatarstan. His father had him on skates at 3 and he watched his hockey hero, Pavel Bure, on television become a scoring star in a league on the other side of the world.

Yakupov decided that if he wanted to achieve the same heights, he had to leave home and test himself in the intense, physical brand of Canadian junior hockey.

"It was my dream to come to Canada and play against the best," he said. "I'm happy to be in the OHL, to be playing in Sarnia."

The only time Yakupov bristles is when he is asked about his standing atop most draft rankings and the chance to be the first Russian-born player since Alex Ovechkin in 2004 to be taken with the first pick. Even if you've bought the hype, he's not about to.

"Same questions all the time," Yakupov said with a shrug. "I feel no pressure. I worry about my team. If you work hard on the ice and in the gym and listen to your coach, the points will come and the high draft place will come."

I think it's safe to say people are comparing him to Pavel Datsyuk now too. If he can channel Datsyuk and Bure, and play with the competitive edge of Mark Messier, we might have ourselves the next great superstar. He's always several steps ahead of everybody else and is learning at a faster rate than anybody else. I hope he's healthy by the time the World Juniors begin.

He is still out with a back injury, but has 46 points in 23 games so far this season. Bob McKenzie tweeted this just a few hours ago:

https://twitter.com/#!/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/143732658881572864

@TSNBobMcKenzie Bob McKenzie
SAR's Nail Yakupov, top draft prospect, out last 10 days with bad back, is expected to skate Tuesday. SAR hopes he's playing this weekend.
3 hours ago via web

Edited by WeatherWise, 05 December 2011 - 12:58 PM.

The greatest segue into a weather segment.

#163 Luongo

Luongo

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,742 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 02:37 PM

I would like to point out that what makes Datsyuk special in terms of his stickhandling is his timing and calm demeanor. Yakupov is a little different. While they both boast supremely quick hands, I don't see Yakupov being on the level with Datsyuk in that regard...which is not to say that Yakupov isn't impressive. He's a little bit more bullish/tenacious in using his stickhandling, which is where the Ovechkin comparisons come in. I would expect a playmaker to try to slow the game down, whereas a goalscorer would try to push the tempo of course. Watch the vid to see what I mean.

#164 WeatherWise

WeatherWise

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 03:06 PM

I would like to point out that what makes Datsyuk special in terms of his stickhandling is his timing and calm demeanor. Yakupov is a little different. While they both boast supremely quick hands, I don't see Yakupov being on the level with Datsyuk in that regard...which is not to say that Yakupov isn't impressive. He's a little bit more bullish/tenacious in using his stickhandling, which is where the Ovechkin comparisons come in. I would expect a playmaker to try to slow the game down, whereas a goalscorer would try to push the tempo of course. Watch the vid to see what I mean.

You don't need to mute this one. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDi4dHvIaT4

#165 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 05:29 PM

I wish the Sedins celebrated like Nail. Man, what a beast of a name.

#166 Try Again

Try Again

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 05:32 PM

I wish the Sedins celebrated like Nail. Man, what a beast of a name.

the sedins would then have to score like nail
Posted Image

#167 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 06:00 PM

the sedins would then have to score like nail

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me3GPkF7m5s

Good enough?

#168 Luongo

Luongo

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,742 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 06:58 PM

You don't need to mute this one. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDi4dHvIaT4

That Galchenyuk is a pretty good player too huh. Posted Image

#169 Niloc009

Niloc009

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,803 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:40 PM

Atlanta's theory was to try to win now so they could get attendance. Winnipeg has seasons tickets sold out for like 3 years plus a great GM in Cheveldayoff(sp?) and asstant GM Heisinger who developed most of our players on the Moose. He'll do great if he goes to WPG.

zuhwS.gif

#170 Kungfudru

Kungfudru

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 04:31 PM

<br />Atlanta's theory was to try to win now so they could get attendance. Winnipeg has seasons tickets sold out for like 3 years plus a great GM in Cheveldayoff(sp?) and asstant GM Heisinger who developed most of our players on the Moose. He'll do great if he goes to WPG.<br />

<br /><br /><br />

Is there any chance we get him. What if we traded lets say Schneider, our 1st and a prospect at the draft for him to whomever has the first pick? At this point in the season it could very well be Colombus that finishes last and they need a #1 goalie. He would fit perfectly into the canucks system, attitude and all. He also joins a winning organization where his idol Pavel once played. I live in Toronto and idolized Bure growing up. He was the reason why I started following Vancouver in the first place. I am proud to say that the Vancouver canucks are my favorite team, and that I have been a fan since 1990 threw all the ups and down, and I would love to see a rendition and re-live the moments of greatness that Pavel once showed us threw Nail.

#171 CHodgson9

CHodgson9

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 02:12 AM

The best thing for Nail would be to go to the worst possible team which has a good young core of players they try and build around. He needs a franchise center to play with because successful teams build strong down the middle.

The way the jackets are playing, I think they have to be the favorites in the Yakupov lottery...them or the canes.

Skinner/Staal/Yakupov would be cool, but I'm sure Ryan Johansen would love a chance to play with a guy like this.
"You must be the change you want to see in the world" - Mahatma Ghandi

#172 Kent.S

Kent.S

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,658 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 12:34 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me3GPkF7m5s

Good enough?

Well played sir

#173 WeatherWise

WeatherWise

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:28 AM

That Galchenyuk is a pretty good player too huh. Posted Image

What surprises me is that Galchenyuk is actually American. He was born in Milwaukee. Despite this, his Russian accent is very noticeable, as though he never spoke English at home.

He'll be a great candidate for the next few Winter Olympics.

#174 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,222 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 11:37 AM

Now 21 goals, 53 points in 26 games for Nail. Also a +21 on a team with a lot of minuses.

Sarault finally passed him in points - and has now played 9 more games.

I wanna see Nail vs. Canada in the finals at the WJC.

#175 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,759 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 03:16 PM

TSN interviewed him yesterday and he spoke pretty good english.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#176 Phil_314

Phil_314

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,660 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 03:02 PM

how's he been so far in the WJC? Haven't really heard much of him, only stuff like Kuznetsov's 9-point night in the 14-0 win

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus LOVES YOU!
2012, meet Matthew 24:36-47!

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

#177 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,021 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 03:14 PM

10 YAKUPOV Nail F 5GP 0G 5A 5PTS 6PIM +1

4th in team scoring.

I'm surprised he's been so ho-hum for such a highly touted player.

Jensen is outplaying him, and he's the only option for a skilled forward on his team.

Edited by avelanch, 03 January 2012 - 03:16 PM.

#178 Try Again

Try Again

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 03:27 PM

10 YAKUPOV Nail F 5GP 0G 5A 5PTS 6PIM +1

4th in team scoring.

I'm surprised he's been so ho-hum for such a highly touted player.

Jensen is outplaying him, and he's the only option for a skilled forward on his team.

you love jensen too much

is yakupov on the first line? i thought he played wing on the second line with Grigorenko
Posted Image

#179 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,021 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 03:37 PM

Jensen has 6 points in 5 games, nail has 5 assists in 5 games, and with much better linemates. 1st vs 2nd line REALLY makes no difference in this tourney, if anything it should make it easier for him to score. Espescially since he was so highly touted coming in.

Edited by avelanch, 03 January 2012 - 03:38 PM.

#180 Baercheese

Baercheese

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,734 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 03:55 PM

Jensen has 6 points in 5 games, nail has 5 assists in 5 games, and with much better linemates. 1st vs 2nd line REALLY makes no difference in this tourney, if anything it should make it easier for him to score. Espescially since he was so highly touted coming in.

Stats don't tell everything....

You probably didn't watch the game yesterday. When he got promoted to the 1st line with someone injured(can't remember who), you can see him using his explosive speed and top-flight stickhandling.

Kutznetsov also has no points in 4 games other than that blowout against Latvia. Is Jensen better too?

3499h5x.jpg
Johnny Gaudreau>any Casucks

Edler, Markstrom, Hansen, 2nd round pick 2014 to Islanders for Ryan Strome, 5th overall pick 2014

This is fairly even as well.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.