The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nathan MacKinnon - 1st Overall 2013?

Joel Heyman

Nathan just had a 5 goal night tonight playing for the Halifax Mooseheads against the Quebec Remparts! Even Crosby never did this, is he the real deal? I didn't see a Mackinnon discussion thread on here so I figured why not.

2pov8es.jpg

Nathan MacKinnon:

Born: September 1, 1995

Height: 5'11

Weight: 179 lbs.

Position: Center/Right Wing

Shoots: Right

Stats for the 2011-2012 Season: 58 GP 31 G 47 A 78 P 11 +/- 45 PIM

Stats for the 2011-2012 Playoffs: 17 GP 13 G 15 A 28 P 12 +/- 12 PIM

Stats for the 2012-2013 Season: 41 GP 28 G 41 A 69 P 37 +/- 43 PIM (Updated Feb. 25th 2013)

Nathan MacKinnon, born in Halifax, Nova Scotia in 1995, has been drawing comparisons to Sidney Crosby for his prowess in hockey. While playing in Tier 1 Bantams, MacKinnon posted an impressive 54 goals and 101 points in 58 games. MacKinnon has great wheels, excellent hockey sense and vision, is very strong on the puck, can shoot it a ton, makes everybody around him that much better, and is responsible in his own end as well. On June 4, 2011 MacKinnon was drafted 1st overall into the QMJHL by the Baie-Comeau Drakkar, and on July 13 his rights were traded to the Halifax Mooseheads.

Update: Looks like Mackinnon and Seth Jones are vying for the Number 1 spot heading into the upcoming season. Along with Aleksander Barkov close behind.

MacKinnon (as Crosby was) was a little bit of a premadona already when it came time to be drafted. Halifax wanted a player to showcase their memorial cup bid and convinced the family to get him to play closer to home, so they were traded there I believe on draft day. Other than that he should be a real good player, he works with Crosby in the off seasons for the last couple of years. If he doesn't go 1st overall I'd be surprised, but not as surprised as that he was off the list to go to the world juniors. Oh well, RNH didn't go either.

• 8 months later...

You always pick a forward with the first overall pick. D-men take longer to mature and don't always reach they're potential. See E.Johnson and V.Hedman was a threat to go first and NO ONE would pick him over Tavares now. Anyways another Nova Scotia native was picked 1st after a lock-out. I think he panned out pretty well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You always pick a forward with the first overall pick. D-men take longer to mature and don't always reach they're potential. See E.Johnson and V.Hedman was a threat to go first and NO ONE would pick him over Tavares now. Anyways another Nova Scotia native was picked 1st after a lock-out. I think he panned out pretty well.

• 1 month later...

Archived