The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Mayan End Of The World in 2012

InSoM-

Guest Gumballthechewy

Okay, that did not work out so well.

I charged my end of the world in luxury gig at the Loden Hotel and now the bill for a little south of $7000 is coming due.

Any donations gratefully accepted.

Guest Gumballthechewy

Always aim for the brain, try not to use guns unless absolutely necessary, master the zombie walk in case I have to smear guts on myself and pretend to be one of them, and hope I find a nice boy like Darryl to help me out ;)

Not only did the world not end today, it's not going to end in 2040 either.

Asteroid to miss Earth in 2040, NASA says

(CNN) -- On a day when global doomsday predictions failed to pan out, NASA had more good news for the Earth: An asteroid feared to be on a collision course with our planet no longer poses a threat.

Uncertainties about the orbit of the asteroid, known as 2011 AG5, previously allowed for a less than a 1% chance it would hit the Earth in February 2040, NASA said.

To narrow down the asteroid's future course, NASA put out a call for more observation. Astronomers from the University of Hawaii at Manoa took up the task and managed to observe the asteroid over several days in October.

"An analysis of the new data conducted by NASA's Near-Earth Object Program Office at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California, shows that the risk of collision in 2040 has been eliminated," NASA declared Friday.

The new observations, made with the Gemini 8-meter telescope in Mauna Kea, Hawaii, reduce the orbit uncertainties by more than a factor of 60. That means the Earth's position in February 2040 is not in range of the asteroid's possible future paths.

The asteroid, which is 140 meters (460 feet) in diameter, will get no closer to Earth than 890,000 kilometers (553,000 miles), or more than twice the distance to the moon, NASA said.

Archived