The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What Is Wrong With The Canucks?

CanucksFanMike

What is wrong with this team, is that deep down the players realize that coach doesn't have a clue, and as a result they have very little chance of winning the cup. He is consistently out-coached in the big games and series, and by pushing for the Hodgson trade and destroying their 3-line offensive depth, and then by confusing players with his mindless line-juggling, he demonstrates that he doesn't understand the game at a fundamental level.

AV doesn't match players and lines, with any innate understanding of their skills and potential. He just throws balls in the air and hopes something sticks to the wall. Why else would he break up Hamhuis/Bieksa, or put Raymond with the Sedins. Those moves don't work in reality OR on paper. The Sedins have always needed a power forward who can finish, play the cycle, and hit people to give them space. Burrows has done well with them because he plays as physical as he can, and has learned to anticipate and play with them offensively. But Anson Carter scored 30 goals in less than a season with them, because he's the closest thing to a natural match for them. AV doesn't understand tactics, player dynamics, or line chemistry. He's built a great win-lost record here on the backs of two premiere players, the Sedins, but has just about run them into the ground.

So, let me suggest a simple recipe, AV ... you pushed for Kassian; you gambled away Hodgson; so back up your gamble. The kid has hands and can hit. Play him on the first line with the Sedins, and make him hit people and drive to the net. Good things will happen. Leave the AMX second line alone, and don't touch it again. Leave Burrows with Hansen and Lapierre on the third line. Put your defence pairings back they were, and make Gragnani the 7th or 8th defencemen till he has a couple more weeks of practice to understand the system and develop some chemistry with Tanev, or whoever you want to play him with. Make Schneider your starter for the rest of the regular season and the playoffs, and let Gillis figure out what to do with Luongo after the season. You're not going to be here next year anyway (or shouldn't still be here) if the team bows out early in the playoffs, because you haven't made these moves.

View this post at: http://www.nhlteamsa...ades.com/?p=215

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Edler-Salo

any two of Ballard/Rome/Gragnani/Tanev/Alberts

Connauton will probably get a callup along with Sauve for the playoffs. Gragnani gives us an option against a less physical team, while Rome and Alberts basically hit anything that moves. Tanev is great against anyone... he's a pure puck mover, and you can catch any team on its heels with a well-placed outlet pass.

I agree Grags still has things to prove here, but I'm not that worried.

Haha your joking right? The sedins are acctually genertaing chances, I personally think there struggles have been blown out a proportion.

Yeah they haven't had the finish but they have still been making plays, and even coming close.

Raymond however... :picard: Im not really sure what line he will look good on , he didn't look as bad as usual with the twins agianst Phoenix but I think that the sedins play making made him look better, ya he read off them well at times but didn't really do a whole lot like we are used to seeing burrows and others do.

The Canucks current slump is testing the team's leadership group, Alain Vigenault said.

The Vancouver Canucks have lost four of five and their head coach manufactured some pressure for his core, suggesting it's up to the team's group of veterans to work through their struggles to lead the Canucks out of this funk.

"Our core group of players is being challenged," Vigneault said. "It's a different element when you're depended on to be leaders, to lead a group, to (make sure) your actions are the right ones to influence.

"If I'm a player in our dressing room, and I'm getting ready for a game, I want to win. I'm confident that's what this group wants. I'm confident knowing each and every player in this room that that's what they want. They want to win.

"Losing is no fun. And I don't think we've won a lot of games lately."

Vigneault then named names — those whose games are "not exactly where (they) need to be."

Vigneault rolled out Henrik Sedin, Daniel Sedin, Ryan Kesler, Kevin Bieksa, Manny Malhotra and Roberto Luongo. It should be noted here Malhotra is out indefinitely because of a personal issue.

"All of their games are a little bit off," Vigneault said. "It's a challenge for us right now. It's a good challenge. It's a challenge that should make this group stronger and better.

"I'm confident they are going to hit it head on and get back to what we're all about.

"It's not easy for them because their game isn't where we need it to be. It makes it more interesting as far as being able to influence and push buttons in the dressing room."

The Sedins got three points in Wednesday's 5-4 loss to Phoenix but struggled again defensively. They were lined with slumping forward Mason Raymond. That's not going to change, said Vigneault who suggested anyone can play with the Sedins.

So, it seems, he's going to continue to go with the "why not Raymond?" strategy.

"In theory, you would expect anybody to play with Hank and Danny to be able to play and play well. In theory," he said. "We'll see what happens."

But that theory is being tested. Alex Burrows had been struggling with the Sedins. In his first game with Jannik Hansen and Samme Pahlsson on Wednesday, the third line became the Canucks' best line.

"Can it work consistently? Hank, Danny and Burr had worked consistently," Vigneault said. "For whatever reason, the last couple of months, except for a couple of games, not much has been happening as far as them producing at the level they had us used to.

"You have to try other things. Usually, Hank and Danny, the guy they played with was good. Now, Burr goes somewhere else and that line gets going."

Vigneault also took his blueline to task for the number of odd-man rushes the team gave up against the Coyotes.

"I'd say 75 per cent of those were caused by bad reads by our defence," he said. "They're reads you have to make. Is the third-man high? Is he not high?

"What type of puck control do we have. Do we have good puck control? Am I supposed to be stepping in, or not? A lot of times (Wednesday) our guys decided to make decisions without the puck to either stay in or to go in for the outlet pass that were the wrong decisions.

"There were some other instances where the forwards were responsible for the odd-man rush, too."

Vigneault did not name his starter for Saturday. But he did say he doesn't believe Luongo needs games to play his way out of a slump.

"I think last year was the first step in us reducing his ice time which was a significant amount compared to what he was used to in the past," he said. "I thought he handled it real well.

"This year, for a stretch, we went with Schneids and when he came back he was fine."

jbotchford@theprovince.com

twitter.com/botchoncanucks

© Copyright © The Province

Coach AV is on it....

Haha your joking right? The sedins are acctually genertaing chances, I personally think there struggles have been blown out a proportion.

Yeah they haven't had the finish but they have still been making plays, and even coming close.

Raymond however... :picard:Im not really sure what line he will look good on , he didn't look as bad as usual with the twins agianst Phoenix but I think that the sedins play making made him look better, ya he read off them well at times but didn't really do a whole lot like we are used to seeing burrows and others do.

Listening to Sports talk last night and the only player in the core group that was owning up to their failures and pledged to be better was Roberto Luongo.

That shows Roberto has grown and is now much more ahead of the game than KB,Kes and the others.

Archived