The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

"fire Burke!" The Chants Have Begun...

Just a few weeks after Wilson got canned because of fan chanting, "Fire Burke" came raining down from the stands tonight as TO was in the midst of another big loss. This time to the lowly New York Islanders. Tweeted about by various media outlets.

Needless to say, an 8-0 loss followed by a 5-2 loss drives a pick-axe through their paper-thin playoff hopes. It would appear that another ol' buddy, Randy Carlyle, who was unable to make a go of it this season with a vastly superior Anaheim team, was NOT the answer for the short term. In fact, given how Carlyle's insistance on running a big man's game with a small lineup, you have to wonder if they were better off keeping Wilson around in the first place. TO's main strength, speed, has been squandered while the new system preaches patience and just plain up boring hockey. The losses would still come with Wilson, but at least the games would be entertaining. In any regard, Burke has once again oversold his teams' playoff chances, and their fast start is a vanishing memory. Not even Kessel being 3rd in goals is enough to stop the impatient chants (and waffles?) crashing down to the ice.

Just wondering if indeed Burke's head will roll as early as their mathematical elimination this season? Afterall, Wilson's canning seemed to be forced out of Burke by the new ownership in the first place.

New ownership? New GM? It's pretty much the norm.

Asking Burke about the subject after Wilson was fired made him quite animated. He hung up on an interviewer after calling him gutless for asking if Burke's job is on the line. (It obviously is.)

This may be the end of an era folks, and i for one am sad. Burke was the GM that TO deserved. Cheers.

TOML

Guest The Brown Burrows

I wouldn't fire him just yet. Burke has drafted several players that could help out down the road. He has made some boneheaded signings however (Komisarek, Connolly, Orr, and Armstrong being the worst) but then again he has brought in several players for the future (Franson, Ashton, Colborne, Kadri?). He is doing he fine job but Toronto might want to hire a Lawrence Gilman to help controll spending (not sure if they have a Cap guy in the box).

* The Kessel trade really tarnished his rep.

They should keep him around for another year, if he doesn't make the playoffs (even by 1 point) he should be fired (right after that game has ended).

What happened to the truculent, belligerent, testosterone, aggressive physical team he promised in 2008? All talk? It was all about the Brian Burke show when he showed up in Toronto. Leafs fans didn't care, because they envisioned their team being like the Anahiem Ducks (at that time) so they were happy. I was telling Leafs fans at hfboards, that Burke was overrated, and that 80% of his job was already done in Anahiem. When it came down to finding a Number 1 goalie, he's failed miserably in Vancouver and Toronto. Gigure saved his job in Anahiem. I don't feel bad for him at all, mainly because of his arrogance, and what negative comments he me towards Vancouver early on. A good gm, wouldn't say the stuff he said about the Canucks. 3 years ago, Brian Burke wanted to skip the rebuild mode, 3 years later (now) Dave Poulion says, that "we have to wait and see what is the fnished product" It may take a few years.

When Brian Burke got to Toronto he said, "We need to be paitent"

Just last season Dave Nonis, yes Dave Nonis, said "Our fans need to be paitent."

Thats exactly 3 years from the time Brian Burke took over.

Just this season, Dave Poulion said, " we have to wait and see what is the fnish product, when we are 15 years old we can't be 17 years old." WTF!!

But really, I don't care about that team. I want them lose like they wanted us to lose in the finals. This is all CBC too, for always focusing only on the leafs and nothing more on the other CAnadian teams. Good! IF I was a Leafs fan, i be so pissed right now, I will be asking Brian Burke to be fired. NO questions asked. Ron Wilson was the natural choice to be fired. Not that he is great coach, or a bad coach, but Brian Burke is overrated. Nuff said.

He did a *good* job in Vancouver

He did a *good* job in Anahiem. Of course winning the stanley cup is all anyone can ask for, and can over shadow whatever bad you did, but again, 80% of his work was already done.

Finally Toronto exposed him for who he really is. A Fraud, who capitalized on the Assets of Pavel Bure and Alex Mogilny, in Anahiem, he was loaded with depth, and in Toronot he had nothing to work with.

If he did not do that Kessel deal, they very well would have just been like the Oilers with both RNH and Hall. They would probably be on their way to receiving Yakupov this season. The thing is that the Leafs just cannot stay consistent with their play throughout the season and Burke has sadly not improved the team, seeing that they have yet to make the playoffs since he has showed up. The trade he made for Kessel now looks like this:

To Toronto:

Phil Kessel

To Boston:

Tyler Seguin

Jared Knight

Dougie Hamilton

Just a terrible trade for Toronto, even though Kessel has been playing fairly well, they would have been much better off with all of the young talent they lost out on in this deal. Why fire Ron Wilson? I personally have believed that Burke was the problem, you saw Boston beat Toronto 8-0 when Wilson was not coaching, just a complete mess in Toronto right now.

I actually hope they get a top 5 pick this year. What is the point of making the playoffs if you know you are going to get crushed in the first round? Prime example, TO has no chance against Boston in the regular season, let alone the playoffs. Pure domination.

As intolerable as Leafs fans may be, I feel kiinda bad for them...we had to struggle through it with Burke and we at least had a good regular season team.

Also, it would be kind of cool to see Montreal and Toronto each pickup a top young player or two with some high draft picks...something to add to the rivalry.

Full disclosure: I don't like Burke.

That said, he actually hasn't done too bad in bringing assets in. Kadri, Colborne, Ashton, Blacker...these guys are going to be players. No one thought they'd be as bad as they ended up when they made the Kessel trade. Had that pick been 10th instead of 2nd, that trade would be looking pretty good right now for Toronto.

But it would be some sweet irony if, just after having amassed some good young talent, Burke was fired and another GM took over just in time for the team to be successful - and that guy got all the credit.

Archived