Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

"fire Burke!" The Chants Have Begun...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
56 replies to this topic

#1 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,621 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:53 PM

Just a few weeks after Wilson got canned because of fan chanting, "Fire Burke" came raining down from the stands tonight as TO was in the midst of another big loss. This time to the lowly New York Islanders. Tweeted about by various media outlets.

Needless to say, an 8-0 loss followed by a 5-2 loss drives a pick-axe through their paper-thin playoff hopes. It would appear that another ol' buddy, Randy Carlyle, who was unable to make a go of it this season with a vastly superior Anaheim team, was NOT the answer for the short term. In fact, given how Carlyle's insistance on running a big man's game with a small lineup, you have to wonder if they were better off keeping Wilson around in the first place. TO's main strength, speed, has been squandered while the new system preaches patience and just plain up boring hockey. The losses would still come with Wilson, but at least the games would be entertaining. In any regard, Burke has once again oversold his teams' playoff chances, and their fast start is a vanishing memory. Not even Kessel being 3rd in goals is enough to stop the impatient chants (and waffles?) crashing down to the ice.

Just wondering if indeed Burke's head will roll as early as their mathematical elimination this season? Afterall, Wilson's canning seemed to be forced out of Burke by the new ownership in the first place.

New ownership? New GM? It's pretty much the norm.

Asking Burke about the subject after Wilson was fired made him quite animated. He hung up on an interviewer after calling him gutless for asking if Burke's job is on the line. (It obviously is.)

This may be the end of an era folks, and i for one am sad. Burke was the GM that TO deserved. Cheers.

TOML
Posted Image

#2 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:01 PM

40+ years of futility.

The only thing that they haven't changed is the fans.

Edited by hudson bay rules, 20 March 2012 - 08:13 PM.

I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#3 Lockhart

Lockhart

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:02 PM

Burke has done nothing since he has been there, they aren't even an 8th place team....... He hasn't improved the team at all.

#4 Guest_The Brown Burrows_*

Guest_The Brown Burrows_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:02 PM

I wouldn't fire him just yet. Burke has drafted several players that could help out down the road. He has made some boneheaded signings however (Komisarek, Connolly, Orr, and Armstrong being the worst) but then again he has brought in several players for the future (Franson, Ashton, Colborne, Kadri?). He is doing he fine job but Toronto might want to hire a Lawrence Gilman to help controll spending (not sure if they have a Cap guy in the box).

* The Kessel trade really tarnished his rep.

They should keep him around for another year, if he doesn't make the playoffs (even by 1 point) he should be fired (right after that game has ended).

Edited by The Brown Burrows, 20 March 2012 - 08:04 PM.

#5 Caboose

Caboose

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,635 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:05 PM

40+ years of futility.

The only thing that they haven't changed is the fans.

Speaking of teams with 40 years of futility :rolleyes:

Jq9Htab.jpg

#6 Wheres Fluffy

Wheres Fluffy

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:12 PM

The thing with Burke is that he tries to ice a competitive team year after year. For that, I give him props.

#7 Toni Zamboni

Toni Zamboni

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,621 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:15 PM

big mistake not keeping ron wilson for the remainder of the season so he can be the fall guy in the off season...now its obvious there is no one else to blame but burkie...hes doomed.

#8 Lychees

Lychees

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:17 PM

The same fans who were praising Wilson and Burke when the Leafs were high flying early in the season? Such fickle fans..... WAIT THIS SOUNDS FAMILIAR!!

#9 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,342 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:20 PM

What happened to the truculent, belligerent, testosterone, aggressive physical team he promised in 2008? All talk? It was all about the Brian Burke show when he showed up in Toronto. Leafs fans didn't care, because they envisioned their team being like the Anahiem Ducks (at that time) so they were happy. I was telling Leafs fans at hfboards, that Burke was overrated, and that 80% of his job was already done in Anahiem. When it came down to finding a Number 1 goalie, he's failed miserably in Vancouver and Toronto. Gigure saved his job in Anahiem. I don't feel bad for him at all, mainly because of his arrogance, and what negative comments he me towards Vancouver early on. A good gm, wouldn't say the stuff he said about the Canucks. 3 years ago, Brian Burke wanted to skip the rebuild mode, 3 years later (now) Dave Poulion says, that "we have to wait and see what is the fnished product" It may take a few years.

When Brian Burke got to Toronto he said, "We need to be paitent"
Just last season Dave Nonis, yes Dave Nonis, said "Our fans need to be paitent."
Thats exactly 3 years from the time Brian Burke took over.
Just this season, Dave Poulion said, " we have to wait and see what is the fnish product, when we are 15 years old we can't be 17 years old." WTF!!

But really, I don't care about that team. I want them lose like they wanted us to lose in the finals. This is all CBC too, for always focusing only on the leafs and nothing more on the other CAnadian teams. Good! IF I was a Leafs fan, i be so pissed right now, I will be asking Brian Burke to be fired. NO questions asked. Ron Wilson was the natural choice to be fired. Not that he is great coach, or a bad coach, but Brian Burke is overrated. Nuff said.

He did a *good* job in Vancouver
He did a *good* job in Anahiem. Of course winning the stanley cup is all anyone can ask for, and can over shadow whatever bad you did, but again, 80% of his work was already done.
Finally Toronto exposed him for who he really is. A Fraud, who capitalized on the Assets of Pavel Bure and Alex Mogilny, in Anahiem, he was loaded with depth, and in Toronot he had nothing to work with.

Edited by MoneypuckOverlord, 20 March 2012 - 08:24 PM.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#10 NightHawkSniper

NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,315 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:32 PM

Speaking of teams with 40 years of futility :rolleyes:

40 years of not coming dead last = not futile.

5577747361_37d631069c_m.jpg

#11 Caboose

Caboose

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,635 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:33 PM

40 years of not coming dead last = not futile.

Not making the playoffs is considered futility in my mind.

Jq9Htab.jpg

#12 SheaWeber6

SheaWeber6

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:34 PM

If he did not do that Kessel deal, they very well would have just been like the Oilers with both RNH and Hall. They would probably be on their way to receiving Yakupov this season. The thing is that the Leafs just cannot stay consistent with their play throughout the season and Burke has sadly not improved the team, seeing that they have yet to make the playoffs since he has showed up. The trade he made for Kessel now looks like this:

To Toronto:
Phil Kessel

To Boston:
Tyler Seguin
Jared Knight
Dougie Hamilton

Just a terrible trade for Toronto, even though Kessel has been playing fairly well, they would have been much better off with all of the young talent they lost out on in this deal. Why fire Ron Wilson? I personally have believed that Burke was the problem, you saw Boston beat Toronto 8-0 when Wilson was not coaching, just a complete mess in Toronto right now.

#13 awalk

awalk

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,039 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:59 PM

I actually hope they get a top 5 pick this year. What is the point of making the playoffs if you know you are going to get crushed in the first round? Prime example, TO has no chance against Boston in the regular season, let alone the playoffs. Pure domination.

As intolerable as Leafs fans may be, I feel kiinda bad for them...we had to struggle through it with Burke and we at least had a good regular season team.

Also, it would be kind of cool to see Montreal and Toronto each pickup a top young player or two with some high draft picks...something to add to the rivalry.

#14 JoeyBats

JoeyBats

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:53 PM

Anyone got a youtube video of this?

Your stupid
Your dum

#15 Vigneault's Timeout

Vigneault's Timeout

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,678 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:57 PM

Yikes. Makes you grateful to have the Canucks to cheer for.

Good luck Burke.
Posted Image

#16 canucks.bradley

canucks.bradley

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,417 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:02 AM

the leafs are close imo. burke has brought in pieces that will make the team successful in the future.
Posted Image
3000th post - September, 2010

K guys I nd hlp fast. Im @ a girls I rly like & txtng from my iphone. I did a #2 in the bathroom and it plugged, water is almost overflowing toilet. Srsly I dunno wut 2 do somebody help!

Watch Bowness somehow mess up Tampa Bay's already amazing 2 powerplay units...he'll probably tell Stamkos to do drop passes from centre ice, take him out from the faceoff dot, and place him infront of the goalie :lol:

#17 JRSJ

JRSJ

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:10 AM

#18 لني

لني

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,310 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:09 AM

The same fans who were praising Wilson and Burke when the Leafs were high flying early in the season? Such fickle fans..... WAIT THIS SOUNDS FAMILIAR!!

Except they have reason. Going from a high flying to out of the playoffs is very different to continually making the playoffs as the nucks have for the past few years.
Sent from my iPhone Canucks App

View Postnhlconspiracy, on 21 April 2011 - 02:05 PM, said:

It is not my intent to get in circular arguments with anybody. The reason i have avoided saying anything specific is because i know you or someone else will attempt to find an alternate explanation to my points which i intern will have to defend. I see no point in getting involved with the circular argument that is already well under way in this thread. I simply intended to voice my opinion on the subject. In the end either you accept the possibility of corruption and conspiracy or you don't.

Also i find your comments to be very childish. Does taking what i say out of context, paraphrasing and misquoting it make you feel good about yourself? Grow up.

Logic at its finest.

#19 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:45 AM

:lol: at all the idiots that thought they would make the playoffs at the beginning of the season
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#20 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,772 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:39 AM

Full disclosure: I don't like Burke.

That said, he actually hasn't done too bad in bringing assets in. Kadri, Colborne, Ashton, Blacker...these guys are going to be players. No one thought they'd be as bad as they ended up when they made the Kessel trade. Had that pick been 10th instead of 2nd, that trade would be looking pretty good right now for Toronto.

But it would be some sweet irony if, just after having amassed some good young talent, Burke was fired and another GM took over just in time for the team to be successful - and that guy got all the credit.
Posted Image

#21 swflyers28

swflyers28

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,769 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:01 AM

It's not Burke's fault if the goalies can't stop the shots. He has some good players on the team. They just aren't producing except Kessel and Lupul when he was healthy. Losing Lupul late in the season didn't help. But when guys like Komisarek, Connolly and Phaneuf aren't what they used to be, you aren't going to go far in this league. Maybe Wilson really stinks as a coach. Some teams and coaches can make their teams produce, others can't.
Posted Image

#22 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,379 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:25 AM

Burke should never have hired Carlyle. I think that sunk the team. Carlyle is too similar to Wilson and it certainly seemed that players were not responding to Wilson. It makes sense that they have not responded to the direction Carlyle has taken. After a guy like Wilson, the Leafs needed a player's coach. A guy like Tippet or Bylsma or McLellan. Obviously those guys weren't available, but if there were any coaches in the AHL that fit that mould, I think they would have been a more suitable replacement.

OMG we could've had McKeown!

I think Virtanen was a terrible pick given that he's out for 6 months which will hinder his development. You don't pick someone at #6 under that circumstance, along with the fact that he was given a 3/5 IQ (aka he's dumb). 

God dammit Benning. WHY VIRTANEN? Terrible move.

Down by the River - Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.

#23 Monty

Monty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,590 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:37 AM

The team that Burke has assembled is an absolute mess. Once the Kessel trade was completed, he pretty much sealed his fate. I thought that at the time and still believe that to be the case.

To blame it simply on the goaltending is narrow minded. Sure, if they had an elite goaltender, then they might be a 7 or 8 seed team, but they certainly wouldn't be a contender.

Yes, Kessel is an offensive threat, so him as a player was a good addition, but not for what they gave up to get him. Burke also made a good addition with Phaneuf. I don't like him personally, but that was a steal of a trade. The Lupul/Gardiner deal looks good right now, but I am no sold on Lupul, yet. He has played on 4 seperate teams for a reason; so until he strings together 3 straight solid seasons, I'm not sold yet. But defensively, they are an absolute mess; which is why with an elite goaltender they would be a 7 or 8 seed.

Which brings me to Burke's tenure as a Maple Leaf GM. He will never admit it, but this team is really 5 years away from their "re-build" being complete, because of Burke's mis-step in the Kessel deal. Because Burke will never admit that they are that far away, a new GM is exactly what they need to basically say, "I would like to thank Brian for the pieces he was able to add that will be solid Leafs in the future. In my opinion, this team is, at best, 5 years away from having the pieces in place to start competing. We need to build through the draft and be very patient with our club. Most important, fans of this storied franchise will have to allow our young players the chance to grow in this rebuilding phase. It will be tough at times; but my goal is to draft and develop a core group of players within the next 5 years that will make the Toronto Maple Leafs a legitimate Stanley Cup contender for a considerable period of time, not a one and done team."

That said, I hope the Leafs organization doesn't do the above and keeps Burke in place so he can lead this lame duck team further down the rabbit hole.

Can you imagine drowning AT a KK Rev concert?

i'm pretty sure that's how zombies are born.

#24 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,772 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:48 AM

You know who really upstaged Burke this year, and showed how to turn a floundering team around? Dale freaking Tallon.

He took a team in supposedly worse shape, and molded it into a playoff team in one year. And he did so without depleting his picks and prospects. So not only are they in decent shape now, they have potential stars like Huberdeau, Gudbranson, and Bjugstad on the way - each of which are far superior to anything the Leafs have coming.

People scratched their heads when he took on Campbell's contract, but that was a shrewd move. If you need an overpaid defenseman, I'll take Campbell over Phaneuf anyday. And he got him for practically nothing.

Like I said before, Burke has done a decent job with what he had. But right now, Dale Tallon is the gold standard of how to properly rebuild a team.
Posted Image

#25 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,772 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:50 AM

Burke should never have hired Carlyle. I think that sunk the team. Carlyle is too similar to Wilson and it certainly seemed that players were not responding to Wilson. It makes sense that they have not responded to the direction Carlyle has taken. After a guy like Wilson, the Leafs needed a player's coach. A guy like Tippet or Bylsma or McLellan. Obviously those guys weren't available, but if there were any coaches in the AHL that fit that mould, I think they would have been a more suitable replacement.

I agree with this. After toiling under Wilson for so long, now they have an even bigger hard-a**??? I'd feel like giving up too.

If I was in charge of the Leafs, I'd throw a huge package at Columbus for 1st overall, draft one of the Russians to play with Grabovski, get rid of Carlyle and hire Arniel, and start fresh next season.
Posted Image

#26 NightHawkSniper

NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,315 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:53 AM

You know who really upstaged Burke this year, and showed how to turn a floundering team around? Dale freaking Tallon.

He took a team in supposedly worse shape, and molded it into a playoff team in one year. And he did so without depleting his picks and prospects. So not only are they in decent shape now, they have potential stars like Huberdeau, Gudbranson, and Bjugstad on the way - each of which are far superior to anything the Leafs have coming.

People scratched their heads when he took on Campbell's contract, but that was a shrewd move. If you need an overpaid defenseman, I'll take Campbell over Phaneuf anyday. And he got him for practically nothing.

Like I said before, Burke has done a decent job with what he had. But right now, Dale Tallon is the gold standard of how to properly rebuild a team.

It's funny cause he's the one that got Chicago Toews, Kane, Sharp and Versteeg...essentially he built the core of the Blackhawks before he was fired.

5577747361_37d631069c_m.jpg

#27 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,729 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:39 AM

I am surprised in 4 years Burke has not put together a playoff team. He thinks that fast and agile players can win stanley cups. On the other hand with the solid pieces Burke and Nonis had with the extra bit of grit Gillis put together a stanley cup final team was made. You have to have a balance in speed, skill, and tuffness. That's the reason Burke does not have a playoff team. He lacks the skilled tuffness.
Posted Image

#28 Lockhart

Lockhart

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:35 PM

When your "franchise players" are Phaneuf and Kessel.......... enough said.

#29 Monty

Monty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,590 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:11 PM

When your "franchise players" are Phaneuf and Kessel.......... enough said.

Very true. They are very good complementary players, but they are not character guys, and that is usually not something you can teach someone. Although this team would still have been awful had Burke not traded for Kessel and received those two 1st rounders, he would have received a pat on the back for committing fully to the teams rebuild. As it is, this team is still awful, no good players coming up the pipeline, and is at least 5 rebuilding years away from icing a somewhat competitive team.

Can you imagine drowning AT a KK Rev concert?

i'm pretty sure that's how zombies are born.

#30 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,177 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:30 PM

Its not Burke's fault the team plays superbly and chokes in the final month or two. That's all up to the coaching staff and players. We've seen what they can do, and that's all thanks to Burke.
Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.