Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Should You Tip For Bad Service At A Restaurant?

• Please log in to reply
158 replies to this topic

#91 Tokasmoka

Tokasmoka

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:10 PM

I always leave a tip, just need them to take my order and bring me my food. I know what it's like to deal with people all day, one idiot customer can chase your smile away in a hurry. Most of them make min. wage, cut them some slack. That being said stop going to crappy 2 star resturants and expect 5 star service, /cough moxies /cough. Come down to marine drive in White Rock, you know the real marine drive lol, alot of beautiful friendly servers.

#92 GodzillaDeuce

GodzillaDeuce

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,123 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:40 PM

I always leave a tip, just need them to take my order and bring me my food. I know what it's like to deal with people all day, one idiot customer can chase your smile away in a hurry. Most of them make min. wage, cut them some slack. That being said stop going to crappy 2 star resturants and expect 5 star service, /cough moxies /cough. Come down to marine drive in White Rock, you know the real marine drive lol, alot of beautiful friendly servers.

you know the fact that you need to even mention where your marine drive is completely invalidates your statement that it's "the real marine drive", right?

like the real anything is in surrey anyway

Edited by GodzillaDeuce, 03 April 2012 - 05:46 PM.

well I'm sorry that gd is soo perfect

#93 jovocop55

jovocop55

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,864 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:44 PM

i usually give alot of tips if the service is good and if the server is hot... haha... sometimes 40% tips... B)

#94 Hobble

Hobble

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,572 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:51 PM

Don't forget to tip the captain!

#95 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,574 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:47 PM

Wow you guys are such cheap bastards. I get not leaving a great tip if the service is bad but leaving no tip? c'mon tips are what these people work for. They make 9 bucks an hour on 4 hour shifts. You can't live off that. It's pretty embarrassing to go out to a bar with a guy who doesnt tip too. All you have to do is give the bartender a buck or two every drink. If you can't pay tips you should save your money and stop going out.

See, that's the problem.

We don't go out to eat/drink; there's less people at the establishment; the boss lays off some workers. it's a cycle of fail, and at that point, being there and making 10/hr (minimum wage will go up) is better than 0 and sitting at home.

#96 cj_coolcat

cj_coolcat

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,168 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:38 PM

I've never not left a tip. If it's bad service I'll maybe consider leaving 10% instead of 15. If the service is sub-par I always just figure the restaurant is understaffed or maybe they're just having a bad day. I figure if I'm planning to eat there again, it's better not to tick off the servers Mind you, I generally get pretty good service and I've definitely never had anyone be flat out rude to me. Maybe servers just like me more? (Relax, I'm joking!) Honestly though, as long as the food is good, I'm happy. If it's not, I just won't go back to that restaurant.

I've usually been lucky with service. The worst I had was about a month ago, I was at Milestones for a birthday dinner. There was about 10 of us. The service was decent, food was good, but the waitress gave us individual bills with a tip on each bill. Each bill had about $2.50 on it. So $2.50 x 10 = a nice $25 tip. I wasn't too thrilled so I just didn't pay the extra $2.50, but nobody else really noticed or gave a crap since it was only a couple bucks. But still, frack you, waitress. I'm a high school kid making $9.50 an hour, no tips so don't try to take my money! You can't do that, tips are earned. Yeah, that's the worst waitress experience I've had. /end grouchy rant

That's not really the waitresses' fault. Milestones has an automatic gratuity policy for large groups.
QUOTE (kanadahockey @ Aug 20 2009, 08:48 AM) ah yes, comparing Natives to stray dogs wasn't critical of the Natives, it was actually critical of the Whites. How very White Man's Burden of you. Pip, pip and all that - let's retire to the library for cucumber sandwiches.

#97 GodzillaDeuce

GodzillaDeuce

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,123 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:28 PM

I've never not left a tip.

*thick russian accent* that is because you are weak

well I'm sorry that gd is soo perfect

#98 NikiShiz

NikiShiz

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,171 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:56 PM

In my opinion

Good service = good tip
Bad service = NO tip

I find people who don't tip well are generally cheap. If you don't like the service WHY tip at all?
Posted Image
NikiShiz

#99 Columbo

Columbo

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,886 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:53 AM

i usually give alot of tips if the service is good and if the server is hot... haha... sometimes 40% tips... B)

Awesome bud. I bet the hot waitresses are all over you after they see that.

#100 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,214 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:10 AM

To be honest, Chinese people will tend to tip more often than other asian people - Filipino's tend to be the worst.

I've been a server for 5 years and at times, it does bug me when I know I've provided exceptional service but yet I get very little to no tips (example: Serving a 7+ person table and getting $0). Sometimes its not really about the service, because from my experience, A LOT of people already have the mindset before entering the restaurant to not tip regardless of how well the server performs; it's a psychological thing, sort of like the bystander effect (in a larger group).

Another thing,I especially hate people who tell you the tip is on the table, but its not there when you clear it. What's the point in lying? I'd rather you say "No" than make up some bogus lie that only makes yourself look bad. Most of the time these people come back time after time too..

from my experience, indian people were the worst tippers, especially in my wife's circle of friends, which brings me to a related annoyance.

[tirade]
When we would go out for food with her friends we used to be the first ones to add our money into the "pool" when the cheque arrived, but we quickly put an end to that practice when we observed what her cheapskate friends (who happened to be indian) would do. they would frequently wait for everyone to settle up in the pool (including their tips) and then they would count up the money compare it to the bill, and then just top it off, leaving NO TIP, despite good, and sometimes great, service.

this was exceptionally a piss off when one of them had the audacity to actually take money OUT and put it in their own pocket when the rest of us tipped well for amazing service. These cheap asses would frequently eat for next to free this way and the servers obviously hated us as a result.

Once I clued in to this I started to throw in extra cash after we left the table (i'd say i forgot my keys at the table or something) just so the server got something, and frequently I would have to apologize to the server who was cleaning up the table by the time i came back. we all make sure they pay first now, and when questioned I've told them flat out why. we rarely see or eat with them now, and i couldn't care less.
[/tirade]

#101 goalie13

goalie13

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,871 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:31 AM

from my experience, indian people were the worst tippers, especially in my wife's circle of friends, which brings me to a related annoyance.

[tirade]
When we would go out for food with her friends we used to be the first ones to add our money into the "pool" when the cheque arrived, but we quickly put an end to that practice when we observed what her cheapskate friends (who happened to be indian) would do. they would frequently wait for everyone to settle up in the pool (including their tips) and then they would count up the money compare it to the bill, and then just top it off, leaving NO TIP, despite good, and sometimes great, service.

this was exceptionally a piss off when one of them had the audacity to actually take money OUT and put it in their own pocket when the rest of us tipped well for amazing service. These cheap asses would frequently eat for next to free this way and the servers obviously hated us as a result.

Once I clued in to this I started to throw in extra cash after we left the table (i'd say i forgot my keys at the table or something) just so the server got something, and frequently I would have to apologize to the server who was cleaning up the table by the time i came back. we all make sure they pay first now, and when questioned I've told them flat out why. we rarely see or eat with them now, and i couldn't care less.
[/tirade]

Yikes. I frequently use the 'I have to go back for...' technique when my inlaws take us out for dinner. They are generous enough to take us out for a nice meal (they always insist on paying), but they are cheap bastards when it comes to tipping. I always make sure I bring tipping cash when I know we are going out for dinner with them. I have gone as far as intentionally leaving my cell on the table so I have an excuse to go back.

That part aside, that's bizarre that her friends would pull something like that. Did they think nobody would ever notice? How did they react when you called them on it?

By the way... nice use of the open tirade, end tirade tags. Most people forget the first one. :lol:

Back to the original topic, there are a couple of places in town I regularly go to on my pay-day lunch break (a pub and my barber). I tip generously at both and I get fantastic service at both. Good tipping doesn't just have to be for your current meal (or haircut), it can also pave the way for great service on future visits.
Posted Image

#102 McMillan

McMillan

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:28 AM

Another thing to wonder though is if your food was good but the waiter/waitress was bad, do you punish the cooks as well? They get a share of the tips as well.

Aren't tips usually divided between the server and the kitchen staff?

If the service was poor, but the food was good, I'll still usually tip. But there have been times when both were bad and I did not.

As someone who works in the kitchen I wouldn't worry too much about the kitchen staff not getting their share of the tips over a crapty waitress. Kitchen staff get crap tips anyway. I work at a high end hotel and get about $100 a month in tips.

Posted Image

Thanks VC for the sig!

Demo was great, but I'm a two-way guy.

#103 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,420 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:19 AM

To be honest, I've never really understood why we tip waiters and waitresses anyways. I go, sit down, they ask what I wanna order, I tell them, they bring me my food and then constantly ask how it is even though I've only taken a couple bites. At McDonalds, I go, stand in line, they ask what I wanna order, I tell them, they give me my food and leave me alone. The big difference is at a restaraunt I'm brought my food and at a fast food place I'm given my food right away. Why not tip the lovely McDonald's cashiers?

I understand why in the states we tip waiters and waitresses. They only make $3 an hour or something and their income IS tips. In Canada servers make $9.50 for beginners and above. Seems pretty good seeing as how most servers are in their early 20's and I know of other people in their early 20's/late teens who work $10 or $11 an hour jobs.

I'm not saying I don't tip, I do tip when the service was good. Sometimes I get caught as to whether I should tip. For example: at a local bar here it's 25 cent wing night every Tuesday. I'll go with a friend (if I'm with my girlfriend I always tip) and order myself 10 wings and a pint. My total bill comes to about $6.25 plus hst. The server has a really easy job to do, and my bill is really low. Even tipping 15% would be a tip of less than a dollar. So do I tip? Or not?

Round it up to an even $10 and dont be a cheapskate. So you only tip when your'e with your girlfriend? How do you know that the server has a really easy job?

#104 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,420 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:29 AM

Tipping is optional not expected. It is also a great bonus for exceptional service. If your a server and not happy with your wages, go back to school.

Then how is that server going to pay the bills? School isn't going to pay for that.
Some people are stuck between a rock and a hard place and they really try their best to make a living at these type of jobs. School or simply getting a better job is not always an option, and might never be. Do you think servers or cab drivers or whoever depends on tips to make a living really enjoy being at the mercy of the douchebags they serve on a regular basis? I doubt it.
I make a decent amount of money but I have many expenses that I wont get into on here. Because of this I avoid going to restaurants or bars because I cannot afford to tip properly. These people depend on tip money and I refuse to be one of the people who waste their time.

#105 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,420 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:37 AM

Do you also tip retail workers who make 9 dollars an hour on 4 hour shifts?

Grab a brain and think about that. In some industries it is customary to leave a gratuity (server, cabbie, barber, etc.) and in others it is not. Do you tip your lawyer or doctor?

#106 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,420 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:39 AM

It's comments like these that make me feel like I want to stop tipping all together.

Stop going to bars or restaurants altogether and that'll be just fine.

#107 thehun

thehun

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:47 AM

Short answer: no. Long answer: hell no.

Edited by thehun, 19 November 2012 - 05:48 AM.

#108 Aleksandr Pistoletov

Aleksandr Pistoletov

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:42 AM

Then how is that server going to pay the bills? School isn't going to pay for that.
Some people are stuck between a rock and a hard place and they really try their best to make a living at these type of jobs. School or simply getting a better job is not always an option, and might never be. Do you think servers or cab drivers or whoever depends on tips to make a living really enjoy being at the mercy of the douchebags they serve on a regular basis? I doubt it.
I make a decent amount of money but I have many expenses that I wont get into on here. Because of this I avoid going to restaurants or bars because I cannot afford to tip properly. These people depend on tip money and I refuse to be one of the people who waste their time.

The blame there goes on: 1) the service provider, 2) the employer, 3) and lastly, the customer.

Being that tipping depends on service, it's up to the service provider to provide better service for a better tip. People awful at providing services and keeping a customer happy get bad tips. Being at the mercy of douchebags is how life works with every job not just this one.

Other solution is move to Toronto where you're given a high minimum tip with the tab no matter how terrible your service is. (which is why I don't go to restaurants in the city)

Edit: I've never given no tip, since bad service is still service, but I have left a $0.05 tip before when my wife and I had to wait in a not-so-busy restaurant nearly 45 minutes just to get served for the first time, not to mention our server spending more time arguing with coworkers than serving us. I will give a bad tip for bad service, and that's the way it should be, but more often than not I tip well.

Edited by zaibatsu, 19 November 2012 - 08:03 AM.

How do you embarrass a crackhead wearing a viking helmet?

How do you roast charcoal? -- Jeff Ross

#109 nucklehead

nucklehead

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,178 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:20 AM

My family owns a restaurant and I have heard on many occasions servers complain that they only got a 50 cent tip and they wonder why. This really bugs me because it is so simple. You got a bad tip because you gave bad service. I have yet to not leave a tip, but if the service is TERRIBLE I won't leave a tip at all!

Just a thought, having been in the business long ago. It seems to me that the level of service a customer receives is a reflection of the mangements approach to the business or at the very least the training and expectations put on the staff. Wait staff are often transient and tend to bring their previous training with them. It' s important to train them according to your system when they arrive.
So I wonder, what is the training process and what directions and expectations do you impart to your staff. What system do you have in place to monitor and improve service? If it is left to the wait staff to decide then they're going to deliver a mish mash of service.
Posted Image

If the way Torts stepped up doesn't inspire anyone to work harder, I'll drive them to the airport myself.

</p>

#110 Mr. White

Mr. White

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:23 AM

You guys know what's worst than leaving no tip? Leaving like 5 cents, that way, they know that they did a terrible job
Posted Image
^VanCauck93^

#111 Peaches

Peaches

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,983 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:47 AM

Not for bad service.

For good service, yes.

2qn360i.jpg

Feminism will be outlawed. Mostly because it's a backwards idiotic viewpoint that doesn't serve any real progressive purpose.

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#112 KelownaCanucksFan

KelownaCanucksFan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:07 AM

I will only tip if the service was good, I consider it disrespectful to leave a measly tip, better none to get the point across. Had many good and bad experiences, the worst was at a pub in kelowna, not to busy, our drinks sat empty for 5-10 minutes 3 times, the food took 45 minutes to arrive, was harassed to pay the bill cause she was leaving her shift, while still eating (no we were not slow eaters) and planned on being there for a while(watching a game) then when I paid the bill she had the nerve to ask where her tip was, I immediately asked for the manager and explained why I was pissed now, she didn't know the group I was with were regulars and my buddy knew the manager, never saw her after that.

I have 3 simple criteria for getting a great tip, I usually tip 20% for great service.
1- never let my drink be empty, especially at a pub,
2- only ask once if I like the food (like others get annoyed being asked 10 times)
3- let me ask for the bill, when they ask its like they want you to leave, many times I would have ordered another round or two but the waitress brought the bill or asked to bring the bill

Posted Image
Thanks to GoaltenderInterference for the sig!

#113 Dragonfruits

Dragonfruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,186 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:22 AM

ya i never tip because i know for the most part the cooks/chefs doing most of the work for your food is getting maybe 1/4 of total tips coming into the restaurant unless you find a place that shares tips evenly which out of the 4 places i worked 1 of them did this and wish more places did

also the added tip to the bill should definitely be illegal i remember going in to white spot by myself and having a 15 percent tip added to my bill which ended up being taken off after i told them i wasn't going to pay my bill

the thing with these added tips to your bill there is rarely ever a sign or warning that its been added to your bill and most of the time people end up tipping in the 30 percent range because of this

#114 Buggernut

Buggernut

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,506 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:00 PM

Tipping is OPTIONAL!

#115 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,689 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:05 PM

Not for bad service.

For good service, yes.

Who are you tipping? The lunchlady?

#116 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:53 PM

Tipping is OPTIONAL!

Not always - some establishments automatically add a gratuity.
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#117 Dragonfruits

Dragonfruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,186 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:56 PM

question for you wetcoaster how are they legally able to add tips to your bill like i said myself i was alone and whitespot tried to do this but told them i wouldn't pay my bill they ended up removing the tip probably helped i knew the manager

#118 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:06 PM

Grab a brain and think about that. In some industries it is customary to leave a gratuity (server, cabbie, barber, etc.) and in others it is not. Do you tip your lawyer or doctor?

Sometimes clients tip their lawyers and I would also "bonus bill" for success in a difficult case ( all provided for in my Fee Agreement with a client). OTOH I would also discount or even write off my fees depending upon the personal circumstances of the client or outcome of the case.

Only once did I have a client "tax" an account - under the Legal Profession Act, clients have the right to have a lawyer’s bill reviewed by a BC Supreme Court Registrar.
http://www.lawsociet...trar-Fee-Review

And in that case the Registrar ruled the account was more than fair and in fact increased it by removing a discount I had already applied given the extremely complex nature of the case and that I had in fact won the case. After the review I offered to settle the case for the amount of my previously discounted account rather than enforcing the Registrar's award.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

#119 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,373 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:07 PM

Heres a tip -- "do a better job".
Posted Image

#120 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:32 PM

question for you wetcoaster how are they legally able to add tips to your bill like i said myself i was alone and whitespot tried to do this but told them i wouldn't pay my bill they ended up removing the tip probably helped i knew the manager

Some restaurants have notices posted and often it is also noted on the menu and the website. And often if there are larger groups a surcharge is applied The argument is that once you order your food you have impliedly agreed to the surcharge. If there is no notice then you would have grounds to refuse to pay but that should be taken up with the manager.

These automatic gratuity charges became common during the 2010 Olympics according to reports but with the downturn in the industry businesses are scrambling for business so much less common now.

Robbie Kane, operating manager of Cafe Medina in Vancouver, said his restaurant assigns automatic 18% gratuities to groups of eight. During the Olympics, there were wide-ranging reports of Vancouver restaurants and bars adding automatic 20% gratuities to restaurant bills.

People often point to the US but in many US jurisdictions restaurants and bars can pay way below minimum wage by "deducting" the usual expected rate of tipping - that is not the case in BC as all servers must be paid at least the minimum wage established by Employment Standards Act and the practise of enforced sharing of tips (aka tipping out and/or rebating to the manager/owner) would appear to be illegal under our law as tips are defined as income to the server personally and the law prohibits any non-statutory deduction from the income of an employee

Members of Toronto’s serving community have praised the move, noting that 20% tips are “customary” in large U.S. cities such as New York. But while Toronto servers earn a minimum hourly wage of $8.90, waiters in the Big Apple only earn $4.65 per hour “because their total compensation includes expected tips,” according to the New York State Department of Labour.

Federally, U.S. employers can legally pay restaurant staff as little as $2.13 an hour.

Canadian servers also benefit from the country’s relatively high sales taxes. Generally, gratuities should be paid on the pre-tax subtotal of a bill, but many electronic debit machines calculate a gratuity on top of sales tax. In Ontario, where HST on restaurant meals is 13%, a diner tipping 15% will unwittingly pay an extra 97¢ of tip on a bill of $50. Servers are notorious for “lowballing” their tips come tax season, so much of the income from gratuities may well be coming tax-free.

However, servers often complain of having their tip revenue docked by “tip-outs”; mandatory payments of up to 4% of tips to kitchen staff and hostesses. In October 2010, Ontario MPP Michael Prue put forward a private member’s bill calling for the abolition of tip-outs. “This is an unfair practice and it must be stopped,” said Mr. Prue at the time.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/01/17/heres-a-tip-20-gratuity-may-be-the-new-15/

The practise of "tipping out", sharing tips or rebating as house charges to the employer to allegedly re-distibute is currently the subject of a complaint before the BC Employment Standards Branch.
http://www.cbc.ca/ne...-housetips.html

BTW I never tip based on the total bill inclusive of taxes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.