The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should You Tip For Bad Service At A Restaurant?

MikeGillis58

Actually a funny thing I thought of. There have been cases in which I have refused tips if I felt they weren't warranted. Or if the person was too intoxicated I refused tip and got the customer a taxi. As well I have been rightfully tipped but then taken advantage of later, by the same tipper. Who had me provide extra service the next time without any tip at all. Worked in the tourism hospitality industry. Variety of roles.

My gripe with tipping is that no matter what I feel uncomfortable at some point. The whole point of going out is to be free and enjoy yourself. I don't like tipping bartenders and I as a bartender myself. For one thing the people you're serving are getting intoxicated. I'm pretty sure I have missed tipped over/under many times because of being intoxicated. Then felt bad after. Why should I spend money and then feel bad over such a stupid detail?

Not to mention how unfair tipping is. I tipped the girls at Tim hortons. For having to clean up after everyone else, that had failed to throw out their own garbage( which there was garbage can a mere 4 feet away ). Lazy people.

I would much rather have these costs automatically included and tipping on exceptional service only. Expectations by staff make customers feel uncomfortable and that's not good for the service experience. Similar situation to commission based jobs, but I won't get into that.

Anyhow I drastically stepped down my eating out and started cooking at home. Tip myself now and my laundry hasn't ever been cleaner.

try having it demanded from you by waitresses #YeahTrueStory

they brought our tea late, didn't really pay attention to us at all, yet when we left they looked at the money and said it wasn't enough... :picard: !#@$%#%^$&^%*&(**_(*(*^%$## :frantic: who in their right mind believes they have the right to demand a tip? I give it if you deserve it; I should've taken money OFF from the tray just for asking me that. Cheeze. (FYI that place was in Rchmnd, across from RC)

family owned businesses are almost always the worst-- they're so comfortable in their work environment; the Uncle F's on Broadway? Sheeze Louise-- the server stared at me, didn't really give a _ _ _ _ or even smile/ greet when she took my order, then walked away, got the pizza baked, put it in front of me again w/ no expression or greeting and just walked away again. NEVER going back to that branch again. #QualityDining

Just some food for thought,

I've been a server for over six years. There are times where tables do not leave a tip, not because of the level of service, but because of a cultural misunderstanding. (i.e. servers in other parts of the world make $15-$20 per hour so tips aren't expected or parts of South America and Europe have the tip automatically on the bill). So on every bill where a server gets stiffed they are still expected to pay the restaurant a percentage of the bill. For example, my restaurant has a 4% tip out pool, so if I had a $100 bill and they didn't tip, I have to pay $4 of my own pocket for serving the table.

But on topic, as a server, I strongly agree that tips should be earned. Too many people in the industry believe tips are a right of passage and they ruin it for the hardworking servers out there. I more often then not get mediocre to really poor service? Some people have got into the industry for the "money" without matching the job to their personality. Some people just aren't meant to be around people. Today I consider great service to be a somewhat friendly server, who brings me refills, and my food out in a decent time.

There was an interesting story in the news today about how the GM of some steak bar downtown was keeping servers tips and allocating them for regular costs of business (i.e. walkouts, breakages, and staff parties/incentives).

It's so sad how moronic some people are.

Last piece of advice, especially at the more upscale restaurants, especially with the playoffs coming up. (i.e. Earls, Moxies, The Keg and so on) LOOK AT THE BOTTOM OF YOUR BILL where it's broken down to subtotal and tax. LOOK to see if there is a column labelled GRATUITY or maybe even TIP already included.

Quick story: I went to Moxie's downtown during the Olympics and they threw on an automatic gratuity of 18% (no sign or notice by any of the service staff). The server spilled a jug of water on our table and never came back to clean it up. She gave us our food and put it on top of the puddle actually making the comment "wow, it's like a river on your table". She walked away and never returned until bill time. My boyfriend handed the credit card to be ran through and then left to the washroom. She passed me the portable and I said I couldn't fill it out as it wasn't my card. She responded with "oh I just need you to fill in the tip". I said "I noticed there is already an 18% auto-gratuity already on the bill thought". Her intelligent response, "oh you noticed? most people don't! you must be a server." Case and point, so many servers only see dollar signs and not service. It makes my heart frown. =(

That's about all for my rant tonight. Take care fellow Canucks!

the server stared at me, didn't really give a _ _ _ _ or even smile/ greet when she took my order, then walked away, got the pizza baked, put it in front of me again w/ no expression or greeting and just walked away again. NEVER going back to that branch again.

so you're saying she took your order then gave you your food? wow man, are you ok? I can't believe she could be so harsh to you.

I hope you huffed and puffed in a passive aggressive manner then left without saying anything! show her who's boss!

So on every bill where a server gets stiffed they are still expected to pay the restaurant a percentage of the bill. For example, my restaurant has a 4% tip out pool, so if I had a $100 bill and they didn't tip, I have to pay $4 of my own pocket for serving the table.

Just some food for thought,

I've been a server for over six years. There are times where tables do not leave a tip, not because of the level of service, but because of a cultural misunderstanding. (i.e. servers in other parts of the world make $15-$20 per hour so tips aren't expected or parts of South America and Europe have the tip automatically on the bill). So on every bill where a server gets stiffed they are still expected to pay the restaurant a percentage of the bill. For example, my restaurant has a 4% tip out pool, so if I had a $100 bill and they didn't tip, I have to pay $4 of my own pocket for serving the table.

If the service is bad, you've got to let them know. Would you prefer a complaint to the manager?

They need to be reminded that a free market capitalist economy is supposed to be a buyer's and not a seller's market. Therefore, it's the merchants that are supposed to kiss the customers' asses, and not the other way around.

My new tipping strategy has been to leave no tips, that way when I do get really great service I can tip liberally. Why waste a dollar or two every time when instead you can tip someone $20 if they do a really good job.

Great service deserves great tips, the rest of them can stick with their minimum wage. If they think its unfair, perhaps they can look into the agriculture industry and how much harder farm labourers work for the same minimum wage.

My new tipping strategy has been to leave no tips, that way when I do get really great service I can tip liberally. Why waste a dollar or two every time when instead you can tip someone $20 if they do a really good job.

Great service deserves great tips, the rest of them can stick with their minimum wage. If they think its unfair, perhaps they can look into the agriculture industry and how much harder farm labourers work for the same minimum wage.

My waiter at Red Robin ended up not giving me my meal..

I was in a large group of friends and everyone got theirs, except for me. Needless to say, she didn't get a tip from 10 people.

I rarely ever tip for bad service, why should i dish out extra money for someone that pissed me off?

Exactly, just as I said - Ignorant and chilidish customer gave them an 8 cent tip.

Again, the OP's question is "Should you tip for bad service At A Restaurant?"

It's a simple yes or no answer - which I believe should be no.

The question is NOT "Should I be a jack @ss and make the people here feel bad just because I didn't like the service they provided?"

Archived