Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Roenick Calls The Canucks A Sleeper In The West

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
50 replies to this topic

#1 IMyMeMine

IMyMeMine

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:34 PM

I found this Roenick article about the Canucks today; I think this is his first article about our Canucks this season (I don't read every one of his blog post).

I think it's a good thing the Canucks isn't getting as much media attention as last year, so they can just focus on their game. I think it has a lot to do with the Canucks blasting thru last season, winning the President's trophy by quite a large margin. This year, we're surrounded by a few other high-calibre teams, so we're not the sole focus in the league.

Here's the link: http://www.nhl.com/i...ost.htm?id=8188.

What's clicking?

The Vancouver Canucks are the one team that everybody has not been watching or paying attention to. Especially in the U.S., with the Rangers, Pittsburgh with Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin, the Sabres, the Capitals, the Kings and everybody in the Pacific Division, it seems like no one has noticed that theVancouver Canucks have won seven in a row and quietly have found themselves right near the top of the National Hockey League again.

It doesn't surprise me. This team has been remolded, readjusted. They have built a tougher team, and that was one of the knocks against Vancouver last season. People were saying the Canucks weren't tough enough in the playoffs, especially in the Stanley Cup Final, when they got pushed around by the Bruins.

Posted Image

Posted Image

CORY SCHNEIDER
GOALIE - VAN
RECORD: 20-7-1
GAA: 1.93 | SVP: 0.938

This season they're tougher physically, tougher mentally, and they're a better all-round team despite the fact that Daniel and Henrik Sedin are below their average in production for a season.

The big positive for the Canucks has been the emergence of backup goalie Cory Schneider. He really has put the pressure on Roberto Luongo to perform at a higher rate.

Schneider is one of the best young goalies in the NHL and will be a starter if not next season, then very soon. He has done everything a backup goaltender is supposed to do.

He's won four in a row, allowing less than one goal per game with a save percentage of .972. He has Luongo looking over his shoulder and everyone questioning whether Luongo should or will be in net for the playoffs.

A friendly rivalry like that is great for goaltenders. You see what it has done in St. Louis with Jaroslav Halak and Brian Elliott. Look at how well that team has done with their goals-against.

It may sound absurd, but I'm calling the Canucks a sleeper in the Western Conference even though they are right at the top because nobody has been talking about them. That is always a dangerous situation. The Canucks could quietly get up there, pounce, kick some teams in the butt and find themselves right back in the Stanley Cup Final.

It wouldn't shock me at all.

I searched for any existing threads on this, and there doesn't appear to be any. If there are, my bad~

Edited by IMyMeMine, 04 April 2012 - 02:38 PM.

#2 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:37 PM

Pretty much goes in line with the overrated garbage we heard about a couple of months ago.

Can't remember what program I was watching on TV but the 'experts' suggested Boston had a better chance of returning to the finals than the Canucks.

I like this news.
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#3 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,658 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:38 PM

1st overall is a sleeper?

#4 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,291 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:43 PM

Bruins have been labelled as 'going under the radar' a bit as well.

Canucks-Bruins repeat?
Posted Image

#5 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,991 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:43 PM

Looks like the CDC crazies aren't the only ones not realizing how great our team is.

I love how we have been able to somehow conjure up "President Trophy winning underdog" status.
Posted Image

#6 VancouverStyle

VancouverStyle

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:44 PM

A sleeper, really? If anything, i think St Louis or Detroit is the sleeper this year...

#7 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,658 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:44 PM

[quote name='D-Money' timestamp='1333575812' post='10531779']
Looks like the CDC crazies aren't the only ones not realizing how great our team is.

I love how we have been able to somehow conjure up "President Trophy winning underdog" status.
[/quote]apparently we, and our trophy winning ways, are old news. I'm more than glad about that.

Edited by avelanch, 04 April 2012 - 02:45 PM.

#8 needtogetswole

needtogetswole

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:45 PM

Canucks deserve some recognition and finally get some

#9 nux4lyfe

nux4lyfe

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,980 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:45 PM

How could a top 2 team be a sleeper?

13zpnd4.jpg

Thank You Twilight Sparkle for the dope sig!

#10 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,210 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:46 PM

Pretty much goes in line with the overrated garbage we heard about a couple of months ago.

Can't remember what program I was watching on TV but the 'experts' suggested Boston had a better chance of returning to the finals than the Canucks.

I like this news.

x is an unknown quantity , spurt is a drip under pressure . i would say that sum's up the media perfectly.

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

tony-abbott-and-stephen-harper-custom-da

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.

Aldous Huxley.

#11 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:47 PM

Slumping to the Presidents trophy. ^_^
I don't care about the trophy but I do hope we at least get top seed in the West.

#12 Lockhart

Lockhart

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:50 PM

Boston doesn't have it this year, Horton is out for the season and Thomas has come back down to earth. PHI,PIT and NYR have a better chance of going to the finals.

#13 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,725 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:01 PM

A sleeper would be the 7th/8th places in either conference.

a President's Trophy candidate is not a sleeper.

#14 Monteeun

Monteeun

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,295 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:05 PM

I like this

BAD MOVE!!!

BAD FING MOVE

HAHAHA ANOTHER INJURED MORON ON OUR TEAM

HE WILL JOIN US IN 2019

Benning will be fired next year. Hope he enjoys screwing around for a few months. I just cant believe this. Another injured BC player. We just got rid of garrison. Seems like the canucks and linden just wanted any BC born player. Doesn't matter if hes good or not. We don't need another Linden to get us to game 7 of the Stanley cup and lose. We need someone to win us a cup.

5 million a year for Vrbata? 6 million for Miller? Kesler for Bonino and 24th instead of 10th pick or one of their top prospects? Garrison for scraps?

ive already lost faith in JB. Ive never EVER had this bad of a feeling about management.

#15 ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:07 PM

It's accurate to consider the Canucks a "sleeper" with the way so many people (even here in Vancouver! Even people who are supposed to be Canucks' fans!) are writing this team off. How many times have you heard that the Canucks have no chance, that they'll be out in the first or maybe second round? Everyone's saying it! So to say they're a sleeper, I mean, in the press it looks like Detroit and Nashville and even St. Louis and Chicago are getting bigger props than Vancouver, everyone's taking potshots at this team any chance they get. So I agree with this, Vancouver makes a good sleeper pick, nobody's too high on our chances right now (you'd think we're on a seven-game LOSING streak the way people talk!) and this has been a team that people have underrated or slept on all season. Watch out, NHL!

Ceterum censeo Chicaginem delendam esse

#16 drdeath

drdeath

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,084 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:08 PM

They've been the team to beat in the West all season. How does them making the SCF again make them a sleeper?

aXmDa9t.gif

#17 babybulls211

babybulls211

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:13 PM

Boston doesn't have it this year, Horton is out for the season and Thomas has come back down to earth. PHI,PIT and NYR have a better chance of going to the finals.

I won't conclude Boston's chance this early. With refs putting away their whistles in the playoffs, Boston can be a real force.

#18 Bang Bang Boogie

Bang Bang Boogie

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,059 posts

Seems like Jeremy Roenick doesn't know the definition of a sleeper.

The Canucks are favourites, not sleepers.
Posted Image

#19 wtpasc

wtpasc

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

1st overall is a sleeper?

How could a top 2 team be a sleeper?

A sleeper would be the 7th/8th places in either conference.

a President's Trophy candidate is not a sleeper.

They've been the team to beat in the West all season. How does them making the SCF again make them a sleeper?

"It may sound absurd, but I'm calling the Canucks a sleeper in the Western Conference even though they are right at the top because nobody has been talking about them"

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#20 Mr.DirtyDangles

Mr.DirtyDangles

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:21 PM

Really could care less what Roenick thinks, but I and many others here have been behind this team no matter what. Sleeper team ? Really ? If the league, fans and analysts think we are a sleeper team let'em :emot-parrot:

GO NUCKS !!!

Edited by vanfan73, 04 April 2012 - 03:23 PM.

1987.jpg

On weekends, to let off steam, I participate in full-contact origami :ph34r:

#21 drdeath

drdeath

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,084 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:24 PM

"It may sound absurd, but I'm calling the Canucks a sleeper in the Western Conference even though they are right at the top because nobody has been talking about them"

Nobody needs to talk about them. The players/teams in the West have been gunning for them all season. Just because the media doesn't necessarily give them enough credit doesn't mean their opponents don't.

aXmDa9t.gif

#22 Captain Aerosex

Captain Aerosex

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,019 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:28 PM

The reason JR's calling them a sleeper is because there has been 0 talk about them this season, not because of their place in the standings.

Think about it. Everybody's freaking out about the return of Sidney, the youthful Flyers, the rising Rangers, the Preds with their make-over, or St. Louis coming out of nowhere. In the stream chatboxes I see, the Canucks are written off as a bubble team by the majority of people there.

Relative to the amount of success they've had this season, they've had lower fanfare than any other team.
Posted Image

#23 lateralus

lateralus

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,999 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:31 PM

Could you imagine if Roenick posted here on CDC?

Very outspoken and colorful guy.
CDC is a reflection of society.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#24 RockNroLLa.

RockNroLLa.

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:33 PM

Just wait a week, all Canadian eyes will be on us.

Edit: Isnt Cory tied for the second best sv% all time?? Thats pretty insane..considering our D was really sloppy for a while this season.

Edited by iluvbc, 04 April 2012 - 03:57 PM.

#25 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,153 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:38 PM

It's a good thing that we've been flying under the radar most of the season. It's alot different then last season when everyone expected we would be in the finals. If a 1st place team is considered a darkhorse, that's a scary combination.

I think it's just a matter of analysts assuming we won't make it back to the finals because not many teams have been able to make it back-to-back seasons. The less focus on us the better though.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#26 pwnstar

pwnstar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:47 PM

ronik, pffft

Posted Image

#27 Hank's Secret Sauce

Hank's Secret Sauce

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:58 PM

to everyone saying that he shouldn't call the Canucks a "sleeper", please read the article. He explains why quite clearly.

#28 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,039 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:58 PM

I don't know if the word "sleeper" would be correct to use in this situation, but I think it's fair to say the Canucks have quietly put together another very strong season, despite all the moaning and groaning on CDC about this team.

Perhaps the term is "overlooked" or "underrated".

I generally consider sleeper teams to be low seeds who could potentially do a lot of damage in the playoffs and make it to the finals. A top seed could never be called a sleeper team. Most knowledgeable hockey fans would know what the Canucks are capable of.

RIP LB RR PD

#29 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,580 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:59 PM

That's an interesting thing to say by Roenick. Even more interesting because admitted he knows it sounds ridiculous to call a first place team a sleeper, but he's doing it anyways. Any theories as to why we're flying under the radar? I have a couple.

-We're a Canadian team, so the US media doesn't give us much attention
-We've been a good team for a while, so we're not new and exciting like the Blues for example
-No one expects a team to make it to the Finals two years in a row.

I think it's better that we do fly under the radar. Less pressure and not as much attention. The team can quietly do their job without all the distractions from last year.

#30 Stick-in-Rink

Stick-in-Rink

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:06 PM

Not many of our "star" players are having career years like they were having last season, so that might add to it. But I enjoy this flying under the radar approach for now. The more the media continues to talk about us, the more the fans here buy into it and start talking about all the "problems" the media has created for us to discuss.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.