The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Roenick Calls The Canucks A Sleeper In The West

IMyMeMine

I found this Roenick article about the Canucks today; I think this is his first article about our Canucks this season (I don't read every one of his blog post).

I think it's a good thing the Canucks isn't getting as much media attention as last year, so they can just focus on their game. I think it has a lot to do with the Canucks blasting thru last season, winning the President's trophy by quite a large margin. This year, we're surrounded by a few other high-calibre teams, so we're not the sole focus in the league.

Here's the link: http://www.nhl.com/i...ost.htm?id=8188.

What's clicking?

The Vancouver Canucks are the one team that everybody has not been watching or paying attention to. Especially in the U.S., with the Rangers, Pittsburgh with Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin, the Sabres, the Capitals, the Kings and everybody in the Pacific Division, it seems like no one has noticed that theVancouver Canucks have won seven in a row and quietly have found themselves right near the top of the National Hockey League again.

It doesn't surprise me. This team has been remolded, readjusted. They have built a tougher team, and that was one of the knocks against Vancouver last season. People were saying the Canucks weren't tough enough in the playoffs, especially in the Stanley Cup Final, when they got pushed around by the Bruins.

8471239.jpg

medium.png

CORY SCHNEIDER

GOALIE - VAN

RECORD: 20-7-1

GAA: 1.93 | SVP: 0.938

This season they're tougher physically, tougher mentally, and they're a better all-round team despite the fact that Daniel and Henrik Sedin are below their average in production for a season.

The big positive for the Canucks has been the emergence of backup goalie Cory Schneider. He really has put the pressure on Roberto Luongo to perform at a higher rate.

Schneider is one of the best young goalies in the NHL and will be a starter if not next season, then very soon. He has done everything a backup goaltender is supposed to do.

He's won four in a row, allowing less than one goal per game with a save percentage of .972. He has Luongo looking over his shoulder and everyone questioning whether Luongo should or will be in net for the playoffs.

A friendly rivalry like that is great for goaltenders. You see what it has done in St. Louis with Jaroslav Halak and Brian Elliott. Look at how well that team has done with their goals-against.

It may sound absurd, but I'm calling the Canucks a sleeper in the Western Conference even though they are right at the top because nobody has been talking about them. That is always a dangerous situation. The Canucks could quietly get up there, pounce, kick some teams in the butt and find themselves right back in the Stanley Cup Final.

It wouldn't shock me at all.

Pretty much goes in line with the overrated garbage we heard about a couple of months ago.

Can't remember what program I was watching on TV but the 'experts' suggested Boston had a better chance of returning to the finals than the Canucks.

I like this news.

Pretty much goes in line with the overrated garbage we heard about a couple of months ago.

Can't remember what program I was watching on TV but the 'experts' suggested Boston had a better chance of returning to the finals than the Canucks.

I like this news.

It's accurate to consider the Canucks a "sleeper" with the way so many people (even here in Vancouver! Even people who are supposed to be Canucks' fans!) are writing this team off. How many times have you heard that the Canucks have no chance, that they'll be out in the first or maybe second round? Everyone's saying it! So to say they're a sleeper, I mean, in the press it looks like Detroit and Nashville and even St. Louis and Chicago are getting bigger props than Vancouver, everyone's taking potshots at this team any chance they get. So I agree with this, Vancouver makes a good sleeper pick, nobody's too high on our chances right now (you'd think we're on a seven-game LOSING streak the way people talk!) and this has been a team that people have underrated or slept on all season. Watch out, NHL!

Archived