Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Is It Time To Put Disgusting Pictures On Food Labels

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
38 replies to this topic

#1 Harbinger

Harbinger

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,198 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:07 AM

They do it for cigarette packaging. Is it time we now start doing it for extremely unhealthy foods as well? Should a tub of margarine have a picture of a persons heart with heart disease? Should a bag of potato chips have a picture of a dead person on a gurney on it? I look around and see a lot of people who are engaging in this dangerous practice of eating badly. It is done with cigarettes which are also known to be dangerous. Should we not go further and take it to certain foods?

Posted Image

#2 MariWanna

MariWanna

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:11 AM

I don`t think it really curbs people from smoking a/o eating, rather it simply grosses them out.
No real point imo.

BELIEVE

"The more saves you make, the more they rally around you. And you do whatever it takes to keep them believing. That's what a city can do for a goalie, and a goalie can do for a city."

Posted Image

#3 Satan's Evil Twin

Satan's Evil Twin

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:32 AM

They do it for cigarette packaging. Is it time we now start doing it for extremely unhealthy foods as well? Should a tub of margarine have a picture of a persons heart with heart disease? Should a bag of potato chips have a picture of a dead person on a gurney on it? I look around and see a lot of people who are engaging in this dangerous practice of eating badly. It is done with cigarettes which are also known to be dangerous. Should we not go further and take it to certain foods?

Cigarettes serve no purpose, and are not healthy in any amount. A tub of margarine could last someone healthy a very long time. I could agree with labeling unhealthy fast foods with such though. You could have a salad with pictures of summer, or a quarter pounder with a picture of a diseased heart. :lol:

Posted Image

Father (Peace be upon You) Satan (Peace be upon You), I call to you (Peace be upon You) from the deepest parts of my heart, I praise your (Peace be upon You) name with every breath of my body, I worship you (Peace be upon You) with every fiber of my being. You (Peace be upon You) shown me what true strength is. You (Peace be upon You) have shown me what true love is. Out of the darkness you (Peace be upon You) came to show me the true light.

My master (Peace be upon You), my father (Peace be upon You) and my friend (Peace be upon You) what a great gift that is.

Posted Image Hail to the King (PBUH)! Posted Image

#4 JamesTW

JamesTW

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:45 AM

Cigarettes serve no purpose, and are not healthy in any amount. A tub of margarine could last someone healthy a very long time. I could agree with labeling unhealthy fast foods with such though. You could have a salad with pictures of summer, or a quarter pounder with a picture of a diseased heart. :lol:

Nah just show the feed lot and slaughter house.

#5 Stark

Stark

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:48 AM

I can just imagine how pissed people would be if they started doing that :lol:
Posted Image

R.I.P. LB RR PD

#6 MrsCanuck

MrsCanuck

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,629 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:50 AM

Eating a little junk food now and then doesn't compare to the vastly detrimental health effects of smoking a single cigarette. Not to mention smoking cigarette's also affect those around you.

Posting pictures of those things is a little extreme in this case, in my opinion, although I can see where you're coming from.

I think the best way to curb poor eating habits is to educate the public on the long term health effects of consuming a diet full of unhealthy foods. I would say make nutrition a bigger concern in schools and tell kids WHY eating healthy foods is beneficial. Most people know what to eat but don't really understand the implications their diet has on their life. If more people were aware of the long term effects of obesity and nutrient inefficiency, it would probably make everyone a little more concious of what they consume.

I for sure eat my fair share of junk food but being aware of all the different things my body needs and how different foods (with specific vitamins, minerals, anti-oxidants etc.) can seriously reduce my risk for some diseases, it does affect my dietary choices.

Edited by MrsCanuck, 11 April 2012 - 12:51 AM.

Posted Image

#7 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,979 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:51 AM

The dietary information is almost always available. There should be a push to educate people on what the information means. Not put a picture of a fat encrusted heart under the doritos label.

edit: However, I would be all for certain companies being restricted from putting misleading information on their packaging. Like when sugar cereals put "part of a complete breakfast!" on their box or something.

Edited by GLASSJAW, 11 April 2012 - 12:52 AM.

marge.jpg

i'm not alone; i'll never be

#8 Bob.Loblaw

Bob.Loblaw

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,386 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:23 AM

Did you just watch Thank You For Smoking or something?
Posted Image

Hockey_Crazy is a god. But I still got dibs on Yuna.

#9 Amish Rake Fighter

Amish Rake Fighter

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:28 AM

If you're concerned about our food system, this is worth a watch. It's Joel Salatin giving a short lecture at the Google campus followed by a question and answer period. Interesting perspective on Monsanto.

#10 nucklehead

nucklehead

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,501 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:53 AM

Sure right after we figure a way to label idiot internet posters.
biggerabacus_zps5cae10b6.jpg

I got kicked out of the slut walk for trying to bid on the participants.

-BananaMash

#11 The Situation

The Situation

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,698 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:18 AM

What they need to do is a have some kind of a reward/punishment system for a healthy and unhealthy foods. The consequences of your eating is not something immediate like painting a wall. Having pictures of fat people on unhealthy foods would be hilarious though but I don't think it would change a lot of eating habits.

Eating a little junk food now and then doesn't compare to the vastly detrimental health effects of smoking a single cigarette. Not to mention smoking cigarette's also affect those around you.

A single cigarette isn't going to do a lot of damage. Same with a single Krispy Kreme doughnut. Its when it gets piled on and on, day after day when the real damage gets done.
Posted Image

#12 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:20 AM

Shouldn't we actually start with taxation first ;)
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#13 The Wizard of AZ

The Wizard of AZ

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:02 AM

At least we know this revolution won't last as long as the last American Revolution did over consumables.

Posted Image

#14 Buggernut

Buggernut

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,526 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:33 AM

As long as there's no second hand fat/cholesterol/salt/sugar blowing around, I could care less if it kills the willing consumer 1000000000x over.

#15 wtpasc

wtpasc

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:10 PM

yes... first tax unhealthy foods, then put disgusting pictures of what your Doritos may do to your body. The whole time, there needs to be a campaign to ensure that people who eat unhealthy foods are seen as second class citizens. This campaign starts at the schools, so kids know that their parents are awful people.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#16 wtpasc

wtpasc

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:11 PM

As long as there's no second hand fat/cholesterol/salt/sugar blowing around, I could care less if it kills the willing consumer 1000000000x over.

but but but

what about the impact on the health care system!?

#17 MariWanna

MariWanna

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:28 PM

Honestly, there is already a lot being done.
Schools have begun banning unhealthy foods, and provide viable alternatives that children are still willing to eat, although we do occasionally miss those delicious foods we once had.

Also, hasn't BC made it so that you can not have any transfat in food products sold here? I may be mistaken, or only partially right, I'm not quite sure.

Besides that, a lot of these foods people are mentioning aren't that bad for you.
When you are eating a Quarter Pounder for example, you are getting a valuable amount of protein, as well as fat.
Obviously you do not want to eat these in excess, but they're not as detrimental to one's health as people perceive them to be.
Fries can be said to have a decent amount of carbohydrates, just ask for them with no/less salt.
The only thing I strongly would advise, is to not drink much pop. I personally feel all the chemicals and sugars are far worse for you than any 'greasy' burger.

BELIEVE

"The more saves you make, the more they rally around you. And you do whatever it takes to keep them believing. That's what a city can do for a goalie, and a goalie can do for a city."

Posted Image

#18 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:42 PM

Putting all these extra nonsensical warnings just adds to the cost of making a product, another bureaucratic hoop to jump through, which in turn makes it more expensive, which in turn causes less transactions, which is bad for business. Unless the goal is to inch-by-inch head toward a dystopian-like health food czar that allocates food for you, let people frack themselves over in their junk-laden sedentary way of life if they so choose.

#19 Buggernut

Buggernut

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,526 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:44 PM

but but but

what about the impact on the health care system!?

Is it any cheaper to keep a 90 year old in extended care?

Wouldn't the system save money if people died before reaching retirement age?

#20 Satan's Evil Twin

Satan's Evil Twin

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:45 PM

Putting all these extra nonsensical warnings just adds to the cost of making a product, another bureaucratic hoop to jump through, which in turn makes it more expensive, which in turn causes less transactions, which is bad for business. Unless the goal is to inch-by-inch head toward a dystopian-like health food czar that allocates food for you, let people frack themselves over in their junk-laden sedentary way of life if they so choose.

Posted Image

:lol:

Posted Image

Father (Peace be upon You) Satan (Peace be upon You), I call to you (Peace be upon You) from the deepest parts of my heart, I praise your (Peace be upon You) name with every breath of my body, I worship you (Peace be upon You) with every fiber of my being. You (Peace be upon You) shown me what true strength is. You (Peace be upon You) have shown me what true love is. Out of the darkness you (Peace be upon You) came to show me the true light.

My master (Peace be upon You), my father (Peace be upon You) and my friend (Peace be upon You) what a great gift that is.

Posted Image Hail to the King (PBUH)! Posted Image

#21 wtpasc

wtpasc

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:45 PM

Is it any cheaper to keep a 90 year old in extended care?

Wouldn't the system save money if people died before reaching retirement age?

i don't know honestly, is it cheaper to keep a morbidly obese middle aged man alive for 40 more years, or to keep a 80 yr old granny alive for 10 more?

#22 key2thecup

key2thecup

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,991 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:14 PM

Its time to label GMO's, sadly the big corporations have lobbied repeatedly to stop that from happening.

Dr. Ron Paul 2016!

Dr. Rand Paul 2016!

INFJ

#23 Buggernut

Buggernut

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,526 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:15 PM

Its time to label GMO's, sadly the big corporations have lobbied repeatedly to stop that from happening.

Agreed. Too bad the government and courts don't believe in corporate accountability and informed choices for the consumer.

#24 Guest_The Brown Burrows_*

Guest_The Brown Burrows_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:50 PM

No. Nobody really give a sh*t about what they are eating as long as it tastes good and they enjoy it , no one cares.

* not to be taken literally, more of a statement

#25 Amish Rake Fighter

Amish Rake Fighter

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:57 PM

I read an article a while back about how Monsanto employees in the UK refuse to eat GMOs in their cafeteria so they went completely organic

#26 KittenMittons

KittenMittons

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:12 PM

To everyone saying tax unhealthy foods, it will not work. Junk food is addictive and addicts need their fix. Charging an extra 10 cents (trust me, the tax will not be high because of the influence fast food corporations have) is hardly an issue.

#27 JLumme

JLumme

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,106 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:27 AM

The dangers of smoking are real, but they are exagerrated in the media. Fact is, by itself, smoking one cigarette is perfectly healthy. Even smoking one cigarette a week for life probably won't do you any harm.

#28 The Situation

The Situation

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,698 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:35 AM

A little extra printing along with the flashy logos, bar codes, calorie information, etc will be negligible. What's not negligible is the health care costs soaring from highly preventable diseases resulting from poor diet. This generation is getting so fat and out of shape that its the first to be outlived by a previous generation.
Posted Image

#29 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,930 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:38 AM

The dangers of smoking are real, but they are exagerrated in the media. Fact is, by itself, smoking one cigarette is perfectly healthy. Even smoking one cigarette a week for life probably won't do you any harm.

Probably wrong.

Cigarettes are a carcinogen.
Same as bleach and other chemicals.

The dangers of smoking are real and have been around for a long time - if not for the sheer magnitude of wealth that tobacco companies have, they would probably have been banned long ago. Unfortunately, some people think along those same lines as your post - oh, ones not going to hurt me...problem is, one turns to 2, then to 3...then to a pack...and next thing you know your uncle passes away and the tobacco companies could care less cause they made a fortune off of him....

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#30 JLumme

JLumme

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,106 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:04 PM

Probably wrong.

Cigarettes are a carcinogen.
Same as bleach and other chemicals.

The dangers of smoking are real and have been around for a long time - if not for the sheer magnitude of wealth that tobacco companies have, they would probably have been banned long ago.  Unfortunately, some people think along those same lines as your post - oh, ones not going to hurt me...problem is, one turns to 2, then to 3...then to a pack...and next thing you know your uncle passes away and the tobacco companies could care less cause they made a fortune off of him....

Why would you smoking cause my uncle to pass away? Your argument isn't what I'm saying. There are lots of people that have one or two cigarettes a month and suffer no ill effects from it. Not every person starts smoking packs a day because they smoked one. Some people can handle addictive substances, some people can't.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.