The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Schneider Starting Game 4

jj99

I usually agree with what you say but I feel this is really a toss up. If you want to be critical and say Luongo didn't make timely saves, then Schneider's right pad rebound was definitely untimely.

My stance throughout the entire thread has been this: I can't see which one is a right decision and a wrong decision because both Luongo and Schneider have the ability to win games.

stop being a fanboy. if you had paid any attention to people with actual hockey sense, you would realize that this simply isn't that black and white. there are a lot of people debating this very thing, and as far as i've seen/heard, no one unanimously believes that lu is better than schneids. i said it before and i'll say it again: lu has experience, schneids has potential.

all of you fanboys need to get your heads outta lu's arse (or whoever else's it happens to be in).

I don't think the fans will turn on Schneider unless he melts down like Luongo has in the past. There is just something in Luongo's personality that does not endear him to this fan-base; possibly his ego and perceived arrogance when talking to the media. Of course, this is not necessarily a bad personality trait, especially at the goaltending position.

I don't think of this as the fanbase running out another goaltender, but rather an organization decision to keep a younger goaltender that has immense upside, and may already be a better goaltender than Luongo is at this point. Luongo is not young, and he has been on the decline for a few years now. His athleticism and overall mobility is clearly not the same from when his first few seasons with Vancouver, and this certainly should not come as a surprise since he was never a very agile or flexible goaltender even in his prime. He has changed his goaltending technique to make him a more efficient goaltender, and maximize his strengths, which is his size, natural instincts, and reflexes. It has allowed him to still be a very good goaltender.

But if the future of this club and it's aging core is going to have continued success in the next half-dozen years, the team has to go with Schneider, and not Luongo.

Schneider is hardly a downgrade from Luongo. Schneider is the epitome of the modern goaltender. Plays a calm, composed game. Flexible and dynamically agile, but at the same time efficient and perfect in his positioning. He's a humble player that also is very confident in his abilities. I love the little message that he has on his blocker. "Don't fear failure. Compete. 100%. Enjoy the Process. Play for others."

We are lucky to have a potential franchise goaltender that could take over for our aging franchise goaltender. Whatever happens or doesn't happen in the off-season, just remember that we are Vancouver Canuck fans first and foremost. If Luongo is the one to go, I wish him all the luck and success wherever he goes.

I'm shocked by this.  Not because it's a bad decision.  We have 2 great goalies.  More shocked because I had made the assumption Lou would stay at the end of the year, and Schneids would go.  

I just don't see how you can possibly keep Lou around now.  Very gutsy choice by A.V. But I do think that seals the fate of Lou in Vancouver.  Too bad.  I'm a big fan.  Then again, I'm a big fan of Schneids too.  Support the team and hope for the best.  Go Canucks Go!

Why do people make the goaltender position in hockey the most SELFISH position of all sports. So what if the back up starts over the starter. Schneider has earned it and if Luongo gets pissed about that then ship him out cause hockey is a team sport and 2 goalies are a part of the team. When Schneider didn't play, all we saw was a positive attitude (game 5 vs San jose) and Luongo should do the same this year and support his partner.

I don't think the fans will turn on Schneider unless he melts down like Luongo has in the past. There is just something in Luongo's personality that does not endear him to this fan-base; possibly his ego and perceived arrogance when talking to the media. Of course, this is not necessarily a bad personality trait, especially at the goaltending position.

I don't think of this as the fanbase running out another goaltender, but rather an organization decision to keep a younger goaltender that has immense upside, and may already be a better goaltender than Luongo is at this point. Luongo is not young, and he has been on the decline for a few years now. His athleticism and overall mobility is clearly not the same from when his first few seasons with Vancouver, and this certainly should not come as a surprise since he was never a very agile or flexible goaltender even in his prime. He has changed his goaltending technique to make him a more efficient goaltender, and maximize his strengths, which is his size, natural instincts, and reflexes. It has allowed him to still be a very good goaltender.

But if the future of this club and it's aging core is going to have continued success in the next half-dozen years, the team has to go with Schneider, and not Luongo.

Schneider is hardly a downgrade from Luongo. Schneider is the epitome of the modern goaltender. Plays a calm, composed game. Flexible and dynamically agile, but at the same time efficient and perfect in his positioning. He's a humble player that also is very confident in his abilities. I love the little message that he has on his blocker. "Don't fear failure. Compete. 100%. Enjoy the Process. Play for others."

We are lucky to have a potential franchise goaltender that could take over for our aging franchise goaltender. Whatever happens or doesn't happen in the off-season, just remember that we are Vancouver Canuck fans first and foremost. If Luongo is the one to go, I wish him all the luck and success wherever he goes.

Good move. Schneider is a way more of a calm goalie, and does not have any past blown experiences like Luongo,. Game 7 choke, even though its a team sport and effort, if your the best goalie around, its called stealing a game or two in huge pressure situations. Schneider has not had a chance to do so yet, so he wants to start off on the right foot for his career with a huge win tonight.

I'm pretty critical of Lu's game, with good reasons, but he wasn't the reason they lost games 1 and 2. He played well enough to get a W, but the bad goal per game has always been his achilles heel and that played a big part in losing games 1 and 2.

I wasn't crazy about Schneid's rebound, but in the last 10 mins of that game, when the Nucks were all in, 5 guys pressing hard, he made 3-4 huge saves......something Luongo has trouble doing.

If I'm Luongo, I honestly would request a trade out of Van. The guy is one of the biggest competitors in the league, been the most consistent goalie since the lockout, taken his team to game 7 of the finals, played an amazing game 7 against arch rival Chicago, and this is how he gets treated - hatred from half the fan base and a snub in a must win game coming off 2 strong outings.

And you just know if he leaves he's going to have that fire burning that all great competitors have that allows them to overcome adversity.

AV should be gone after this season is over.

AV is just playing the goalie he thinks has the best chance at winning this one game. The Canucks have said themselves they are going to be taking this series one game at a time. AV's job is to give the Canucks the best possible team for this one game, his main priority is not making sure Luongo doesn't get pissed off down the road when the team's focus is only on winning this do-or-die game.

Both goalies are good, but we're riding the Scheind for this game. Any why not? He's coming of a good performence.

If I'm Luongo, I honestly would request a trade out of Van. The guy is one of the biggest competitors in the league, been the most consistent goalie since the lockout, taken his team to game 7 of the finals, played an amazing game 7 against arch rival Chicago, and this is how he gets treated - hatred from half the fan base and a snub in a must win game coming off 2 strong outings.

And you just know if he leaves he's going to have that fire burning that all great competitors have that allows them to overcome adversity.

AV should be gone after this season is over.

Archived