The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sportsnet Article Re Luongo Trade Having "green Light"

metanoia

okay so this is what I have a problem with. According to you luongo "lovers", Schneider is unproven. Okay so basically what I understand is that in order to prove himself he has to play a lot of games, but in order to play a lot of games, he has to prove himself. You see how I'm having a hard time understanding the whole "unproven" argument? It's a lose-lose situation for Schneider! He can't prove himself because we won't play him as our number 1! And we won't play him as our number 1 because he's unproven!! GO F*CKIN FIGURE!!!

No...he's unproven so we aren't willing to trade away someone who is proven, since we cannot afford to keep them both. Why take a risk that we don't have to, when goaltending isn't our problem anyway and it won't even save us cap space (and will cost us cap space in the long run, if Schneider turns into the goalie his biggest fans seem to think he already is and wants big bucks, which will be more in two or three years than big bucks is today, think 7M plus, whereas Luongo is locked in at 5.3 mil). Besides, Schneider's trade value is likely higher.

If Luongo is playing like Brodeur or Thomas when he is 37 or 38 then his contract will be an amazing deal... you will be paying him a pittance for an elite level goalie. Those are terrible comparisons for you to make if your argument is that his contract will suck at that age.

There is little chance that Luongo will want to keep playing, be a back-up, or happily play in the minors once he is no longer able to perform. You are suggesting that his contract is bad because of that very remote risk? It is ludicrous, especially since we could easily waive him and get his cap hit off the books in the VERY unlikely event that he started sucking but decided he wanted to hold the team for ransom and get booed on the bench every night.

You are clearly a Luongo hater with no facts to back it up. You say that Luongo is not proven because he melted down against Boston last year? Bull-hooey... he was perfectly fine in that series, we just couldn't score any goals. He has also won a gold medal in the Olympics. You use the same logic to argue that Schneider IS proven as a winner... yet he is a career 1-2 in NHL playoff starts. How is that "proven"?

<p>

<br />

I&#39;m happy your not the GM.<br />

<br />

Despite his recent struggles, Robert Luongo is a sought after all star goalie in the NHL.  He is a proven number 1 goalie, and also a proven winner.  IF he gets traded, that team will automatcially be better because of Luongo.    Were not going after draft picks.  If anyteam wants Luongo, the price will be pretty high.  You can say, &quot;well you don&#39;t want him.&quot; Well Luongo is a franchice goalie.  NHL all star, and if people call him a &quot;choker&quot; he&#39;s made it farther then 28 other NHL goalies.   He had a bad year, but guarantee, he gets a new team, new start, and he will do fine.  And who the hell is this Victor Hedman??? Pretty mediocre.<br />

<br />

<br />

<br />

Name me a Canuck that was &quot;Run&quot; out of town in the past 6 seasons.  Actually name a Canuck that was run out of town the past decade.<br />

I just can't see Luongo leaving Vancouver. That contract makes this his team and home as long as he wishes it to be.

The mumbling and grumbling going on now can't be any worse then what was going around shortly after losing game seven. It'll take more then the opinion of fans and media to make him want to leave.

No...he's unproven so we aren't willing to trade away someone who is proven, since we cannot afford to keep them both. Why take a risk that we don't have to, when goaltending isn't our problem anyway and it won't even save us cap space (and will cost us cap space in the long run, if Schneider turns into the goalie his biggest fans seem to think he already is and wants big bucks, which will be more in two or three years than big bucks is today, think 7M plus, whereas Luongo is locked in at 5.3 mil). Besides, Schneider's trade value is likely higher.

You do understand that Luongo won't be playing by then don't you? ... and that since it isn't an over 35 contract we aren't responsible for the cap hit.

Luongo's contract was simply a way to circumvent the salary cap, and those last years are effectively cheating. They are cheating that we got away with though, since the league simply said after it was signed that no one else was allowed to do the same thing.

The result is that we have a player who we pay top dollar for in reality, but only get assessed a middling cap hit. That makes it a GREAT contract.

If your argument is that Schneider is going to sign for almost the same amount (and they are roughly equal goalies), then it would be dumb not to keep Luongo. Luongo is proven and you know what his cap hit is going to be going forward... we also have another potential star goalie in the system who if we bring him along the same path as Schneider could be ready to take over right about when Luongo retires.

With Schneider, you are certainly not going to sign him to a 7 year deal for $4-5 million per year... he has never even been a starter in the league and has yet to show he is capable. PLEASE consider that he has been under zero pressure to perform so far, he has been behind an unpopular starter and if he plays reasonably well he gets to be the hero... and if he plays poorly, well he is only a young backup so you can't blame him.

The world changes DRAMATICALLY if he is the go-to guy. Just picture next season if he comes out of the gate and lets in 7 goals a game for a stretch of 3 games (and every goalie has bad stretches)... all of a sudden people are yelling that we made the wrong choice and got rid of a veteran and are stuck with another young goalie with potential who has flamed out (like has happened uncountable times in this league).

If Schneider is going to be a significant cap savings you take that risk... if not then Luongo and his good value contract are the best choice.

Peanuts?

Todd Bertuzzi accomplished status as the premiere power forward in the league, on the best line in the league, scoring 90 plus points... Admittedly he had baggage, probably had to go, but peanuts; Geeez :picard:

Hey, were you one of the guys calling for Bryan Allen at the deadline? Guys still want him back!

And we got rid of a bad goalie in Auld as part of the package.

If anything; if we could get Lou, who has been an absolute star for us, from the Bertuzzi / Moore fallout > it should say that we can get great value for Lou now!

Tampa Bay Lightning desperately need a goaltender and without a doubt, a place Roberto Luongo would waive his no-trade clause to go to. His wife is from Florida and he has already said he plans to settle there once his playing career is over.

Considering the Canucks got Luongo for peanuts, they probably wouldn't care if they got peanuts back for him. The Lightning's first round pick or Ryan Malone is good enough for me.

Schneider looks more attractive than Niemi; but Niemi had a cup ring & 2 full seasons as a starter under his belt when he signed for $3.5.

That seems a fair number to speculate on?

Exactly. He'll either sign for around $4m for a couple of years until he's a UFA, or he'll want something comparable to Luongo's for at least 6 or 7 years.

Schneider will by no means save us any cap room.

I have always been wondering: Would the New Jersey Devils not need a veteran goaltender, in case Martin Brodeur retires? I know that it is better for the Devils to rely on a young, budding goaltender, but who can they have or who can they acquire? If I were a Devils GM, I would not be having faith on Scott Wedgewood, or, if they were to acquire, the likes of Jonathan Bernier.

Scenario: Schneider signs for 4 years, 16 million (4 million per year).

CBJ offers 2nd overall pick for Schneider

NJ offers Adam Henrique & 2nd round draft pick/prospect for Schneider (Brodeur retires, signs for cheap)

WPG offers Bogosian & 2nd round draft pick/prospect for Schneider (sign Pavelec as a 1B or a 35 game back-up)

Tampa offers Teddy Purcell & Keith Aulie for Luongo

Washington offers Neuvirth & Brouwer for Luongo

Big difference between the returns are that for Schneider we would get a young player who can produce now whereas for Luongo we would get an older player who can produce but is heading for free agency.

Of course these are hypothetical scenarios. I would love Bogosian, Henrique (Kesler sucked 5 on 5 this season) or the 2nd overall pick but I really want to keep Schneider.

I'd probably go with Purcell & Aulie for Luongo. Purcell is a solid top 6 guy who had a solid playoff and Aulie is a good stay at home defensive prospect.

Scenario: Schneider signs for 4 years, 16 million (4 million per year).

CBJ offers 2nd overall pick for Schneider

NJ offers Adam Henrique & 2nd round draft pick/prospect for Schneider (Brodeur retires, signs for cheap)

WPG offers Bogosian & 2nd round draft pick/prospect for Schneider (sign Pavelec as a 1B or a 35 game back-up)

Tampa offers Teddy Purcell & Keith Aulie for Luongo

Washington offers Neuvirth & Brouwer for Luongo

Big difference between the returns are that for Schneider we would get a young player who can produce now whereas for Luongo we would get an older player who can produce but is heading for free agency.

Of course these are hypothetical scenarios. I would love Bogosian, Henrique (Kesler sucked 5 on 5 this season) or the 2nd overall pick but I really want to keep Schneider.

I'd probably go with Purcell & Aulie for Luongo. Purcell is a solid top 6 guy who had a solid playoff and Aulie is a good stay at home defensive prospect.

really really don't wanna see luongo go, guys an all star ... PROVEN... i love schneider, but watching some of these HIGHLIGHT REEL saves luongo has made over the years in a canucks jersey, man.... to me luongo is the canucks, i wanted to see him retire a canuck, hell in the dressing room they have the orca facing luongo on purpose, the guy is THE core of this team.... just kinda stunned right now after reading that article and how his agent was green lighted WTF

Archived