The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Suspension] Raffi Torres Gets 25 Games

Guest AriGold

It was a careless hit but I don't think it warrants 25 games unless it was premeditated and clear intent. I guarantee it would've been around 5 games if this was the first suspension of the playoffs. Shanahans just fed up with dealing with these suspensions and Torres happened to one at the worst time possible.

Can we really compare the two though? I really dont get why people want to compare two completely different situations with each other. Torres has a history of exactly this, he seriously injured Hossa and he had been warned multiple times that. Torres is not just a repeat offender, he is a repeat x5 offender.

Let's really put it in perspective and say that Mcsorley initially got 23 games (the remainder of that season) and then afterwards it was extended to be one full year. Hell the NHL suspension even managed to stop him from playing in other leagues during his suspension.

Essentially Mcsorley was given far more than 25 games for his assault on Brashear; he got 82.

On the topic of this suspension, it's certainly on the excessive side, but if this is how seriously the NHL will take repeat offenders now then I fully support it. You'll have to forgive me if I have my doubts that this will actually happen in the future though but I'll wait and see.

I think it is excessive but he is his own worst enemy. It's hard to feel really sorry for Torres, He has been taking guys heads out for years. Look at last year. Gets suspended for the hit on Eberle and misses 4. The next game he takes out Seabrook and somehow doesn't get suspended. This year more of the same. He is constantly taking liberties and made that a really easy decision for Shanahan.

Matt Cooke was no different and his last suspension seems to have changed him. Maybe this will be what Torres needs to stop running guys.

Archived