Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

The Only Place Luongo Can Go Is Tampa Bay

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
116 replies to this topic

#61 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,540 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:27 PM

1st off, I doubt MG will be offering further contracts that look anything like Lu's so to ask Lu to part or play 2nd fiddle is in the cards. Lu will request a trade if he can't be the deisgnated starter.

I disagree that LU has shown he can take us all the way. He has, as far as I'm concerned shown the exact opposite. He had regula melt-downs in the playoffs last year agains CHicago and Boston. He showed up for 4 games against Chicago and 3 against Boston. Simply not good enough. Look at Quick this las series...he wasn't as good as Cory but he made our guys work for every goal. Not a single softy. Even in game 2 this year, Lu let in a softy. He's inconsistent and on the decline. Time to mive on wiht COry.

Oh...and why would we fdraft a high first rounder: develop him for 6 years; show case him as a future super star goalie and then trade him for a high first rounder?!! Absolute insanity!

Lets see Quick play like that for 4 straight series. He won't be able to.

Luongo is not the only one that has meltdowns. Our D has consistently been melting down ever since AV got here. Edler and Bieksa are constant turnover machines when they try and pinch, and Luongo can only bail us out so many times.

We would trade him for a high first round pick because it would likely be a franchise player that can make an impact right away. Putting a guy like Grigerenko on our second line would give us a cheap impact player and allow us to spend more money upgrading our D.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#62 ccc44

ccc44

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:28 PM

What if Shneider does not want to play long term in Vancouver after what he has seen Luongo go through with our pathetic fan base and media
Posted Image
SHOTS ! SHOTS ! SHOTS !

#63 Tanev's Smirk

Tanev's Smirk

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:28 PM

Luongo is not the only one that has meltdowns. Our D has consistently been melting down ever since AV got here. Edler and Bieksa are constant turnover machines when they try and pinch, and Luongo can only bail us out so many times.

We would trade him for a high first round pick because it would likely be a franchise player that can make an impact right away. Putting a guy like Grigerenko on our second line would give us a cheap impact player and allow us to spend more money upgrading our D.

With AV coaching any player the Canucks draft would be in the juniors in favor of a plug on wing.

#64 surtur

surtur

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:30 PM

1st off, I doubt MG will be offering further contracts that look anything like Lu's so to ask Lu to part or play 2nd fiddle is in the cards. Lu will request a trade if he can't be the deisgnated starter.

I disagree that LU has shown he can take us all the way. He has, as far as I'm concerned shown the exact opposite. He had regula melt-downs in the playoffs last year agains CHicago and Boston. He showed up for 4 games against Chicago and 3 against Boston. Simply not good enough. Look at Quick this las series...he wasn't as good as Cory but he made our guys work for every goal. Not a single softy. Even in game 2 this year, Lu let in a softy. He's inconsistent and on the decline. Time to mive on wiht COry.

Oh...and why would we fdraft a high first rounder: develop him for 6 years; show case him as a future super star goalie and then trade him for a high first rounder?!! Absolute insanity!

Lu showed up in more games last year then the rest of the team did.. and we made it to game 7 SCF..

Edited by surtur, 23 April 2012 - 03:32 PM.

Release The KraKassian
Kassianthe_Krakensm.jpg

#65 Strombone1

Strombone1

GDT Master

• Members
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:32 PM

there just seems to be too many IFs when it comes to a Luongo trade. My guess is CS is gonna be traded for high picks and/or a top 6 forward. then again, we really need a good D man. either way I think CS is more likely to be traded.

Commissioner of Shapheat FHL

Player of the Game - Wall of Fame
2014-15 GDT Registrations

#66 iknowitall

iknowitall

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:58 PM

I would hate to have to face Luongo....Our crappy "D" was what lost it for us....Both He and Shniides are great goalies. But IF Luo left us and we faced him in the Post season....it would not look good for us.~!

word~!

well we'd get at least one 8 goal blowout against him as per usual luongo in postseason

#67 iknowitall

iknowitall

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:00 PM

according to the nhl players, luongo is the most overrated player in the league. i guess they all must be wrong and canucks fans right

#68 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:07 PM

I think Burkie could woo him in Toronto.

Match made in heaven for me, just need a fair trade back.

Joe Colborne/Ashton Carter and Gardiner for Lu?
OR

Joe Colborne, Ashton Carter and their 1st round pick next year?

Posted Image

#69 Teen Icarus

Teen Icarus

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:08 PM

It is not entirely impossible that Montreal would be in the running for a new goaltender. They like Price a lot, but he is also going to be asking for a very big contract. Montreal has beaucoup bucks tied up into players with NTC contracts and may have real difficulty in paying a goalie a $6.5 million dollar contract.

On top of that, they have a huge image problem that is going to be addressed this summer. They are as much a cultural icon for Quebec as a hockey team and need to exemplify the French culture. Getting a hometown Luongo who is francophone AND Italian would be pretty sweet in that regard.

I don't understand the people who are speculating that Luongo doesn't like to be in a big hockey market and have the spotlight on him. I think he wants that quite badly and that is why he signed in Canada and why he plays in things like the Olympics. Whether he is good at dealing with the pressure is a whole different topic than whether he wants the pressure.

And then we get a BC boy in Price right back again! That way, we have two excellent young goalies willing to battle things out for the starting job!
Spoiler

#70 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:10 PM

I doubt we can trade Lu to Columbus. The only way CBJ is willing to part with their 2nd overall is if we trade Schneider to them. It would suck but then we would have another franchise forward in Grigorinko or if the Oilers screw up, Yakupov.

Posted Image

#71 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:13 PM

Lu showed up in more games last year then the rest of the team did.. and we made it to game 7 SCF..

I can't argue the team were no shows in many regards last year adn this one too. HOwever, it is easier to replace Lu now with COry ready to take on that role than to look at trading the Sedins, Kesler, Burrows etc.

Lu could go to a team in need of an experienced starter to carry the load and because he is bteer than what they have, he could play the hero for his last productive years there.

If he stays here and COry gets traded, the press and fans will crucify him for every move or mistake. He will have to play as good as COry did the last 3 games every night and will be blamed for any failur by the team.

I see it as a win-win if he goes to a team he likes and can kick-start his career. We get a goalie that has been in the system for 6 years and has shown elite potential who has 10 years left in the tank.

#72 Provost

Provost

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,310 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:15 PM

And then we get a BC boy in Price right back again! That way, we have two excellent young goalies willing to battle things out for the starting job!

That wouldn't be terrible, but I doubt we would get Price back unless we were flipping him somewhere else. We would be in the same terrible spot with spending cash on goalies by doing that as keeping Luongo.... even worse.

We would be getting back picks and prospects in that trade... maybe Cole at most as he is on a little bit of a bad contract but is still quite useful.
Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#73 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 26,540 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:16 PM

I doubt we can trade Lu to Columbus. The only way CBJ is willing to part with their 2nd overall is if we trade Schneider to them. It would suck but then we would have another franchise forward in Grigorinko or if the Oilers screw up, Yakupov.

I was referring to trading Schneider for a top 5 pick.

Grigerenko is going to be the real deal. If we can get him it would be huge not only for now but for the future.

Posted Image

#74 Canucksbiggestfan

Canucksbiggestfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,027 posts

Ummm...So what if his wife is closer to home?? His wife is HERE. And they go back to Florida EVERY SUMMER anyways, so whats your point? Ya, I know they have family there...but LU has FAMILY in Montreal...so ya...

His wife is not here, she was stubborn and said she wanted to stay in Florida.

I feel like if Luo is traded to Tampa we would be able to acquire Malone and a 1st round pick,but Malone also has a NTC. If not Malone then we could get Purcell and a 1st round pick.

No thanks to Vinny.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#75 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,694 posts

YOu're right that LU isn't solely to blame but he is the piece that can be moved perhaps easiest for the best return, assumin management agrees Cory is the better long-term option for the team.

If we could get a top 3 pick, maybe it would be worth it but it still feels like a gamble to me to keep Lu after his increasingly slow starts and history.

Cory is an impact player now and after 6 years of grooming him and him learning his trade behind Lu, it seems like he should be worth more than a pick that might impact right away.

ON a side note, a rookie with AV may never get teh chance to impact the team unti he has spent 3 years in the minors no matter how energizing, creative or effective offensively.

#76 Provost

Provost

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,310 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:18 PM

I was referring to trading Schneider for a top 5 pick.

Grigerenko is going to be the real deal. If we can get him it would be huge not only for now but for the future.

If you can get a top 5 pick for Schneider, I don't see how you DON'T move him.

At best, Schneider isn't a huge upgrade on Luongo... and we aren't likely (hopefully) going to get a chance at a lottery pick anytime in the next decade so this could be our only chance.
Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#77 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 26,540 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:23 PM

YOu're right that LU isn't solely to blame but he is the piece that can be moved perhaps easiest for the best return, assumin management agrees Cory is the better long-term option for the team.

If we could get a top 3 pick, maybe it would be worth it but it still feels like a gamble to me to keep Lu after his increasingly slow starts and history.

Cory is an impact player now and after 6 years of grooming him and him learning his trade behind Lu, it seems like he should be worth more than a pick that might impact right away.

ON a side note, a rookie with AV may never get teh chance to impact the team unti he has spent 3 years in the minors no matter how energizing, creative or effective offensively.

Well if Gillis makes a trade for a young impact player, AV better be on board with playing him or he's gone.

If we can get an impact player that could be another Alexander Mogilny, I think it would make up for the loss of Schneider. Plus having an impact player on a cheap contract means that we could spend more money on D to help out Luongo.

For the 2.3 mil in difference that Luongo would likely make over Schneider, I think the best move would be to go for the impact player, rather than the likely weaker return that luongo would fetch.

Posted Image

#78 unbridled_id

unbridled_id

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:23 PM

I can think of 4, Tampa,Florida and NJ/Toronto being the long shot.

Tampa: Connolly and their pick
NJ: Larsson
Florida: Huberdeau
Toronto: Their 1st and Gardiner

Top young talent and/or picks for a 33 year old with a silly contract who is on the downside of a good career....?
"If the past sits in judgment on the present, the future will be lost." Winston Churchill

“Lady Nancy Astor: Winston, if you were my husband, I'd poison your tea.
Churchill: Nancy, if I were your husband, I'd drink it.”

#79 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:27 PM

Well if Gillis makes a trade for a young impact player, AV better be on board with playing him or he's gone.

If we can get an impact player that could be another Alexander Mogilny, I think it would make up for the loss of Schneider. Plus having an impact player on a cheap contract means that we could spend more money on D to help out Luongo.

For the 2.3 mil in difference that Luongo would likely make over Schneider, I think the best move would be to go for the impact player, rather than the likely weaker return that luongo would fetch.

Still makes me nervous but the last 2 years have shown that this team needs a more dynamic offence so, if we can get a serious upgrade to teh top 6 and AV will actually allow the guy to play, then maybe we move Cory. I just hate to see a talent like his shipped out of town and as for Lu...if that happens and he isn't lights out, life will be pure hell for him in Vancouver.

#80 unbridled_id

unbridled_id

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:30 PM

Why wouldn't a team just offer a sheet to Schneider for 3 million per year ? If he takes it all they have to give in compensation is a 2nd round pick ? I don't think at this point Schneider is worth more than that and that put Gillis on the spot.....

Nobody will take lou and his contract...and the thought of Gillis having to pay 3 million to a backup is a nice one...

Edited by unbridled_id, 23 April 2012 - 04:32 PM.

"If the past sits in judgment on the present, the future will be lost." Winston Churchill

“Lady Nancy Astor: Winston, if you were my husband, I'd poison your tea.
Churchill: Nancy, if I were your husband, I'd drink it.”

#81 Lou#1

Lou#1

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:38 PM

I can't argue the team were no shows in many regards last year adn this one too. HOwever, it is easier to replace Lu now with COry ready to take on that role than to look at trading the Sedins, Kesler, Burrows etc.

Lu could go to a team in need of an experienced starter to carry the load and because he is bteer than what they have, he could play the hero for his last productive years there.

If he stays here and COry gets traded, the press and fans will crucify him for every move or mistake. He will have to play as good as COry did the last 3 games every night and will be blamed for any failur by the team.

I see it as a win-win if he goes to a team he likes and can kick-start his career. We get a goalie that has been in the system for 6 years and has shown elite potential who has 10 years left in the tank.

For the past two years he's been blamed for every failure by this team. So it will continue, so what. He's handled it. Mentally, he's the toughest guy on this team. He's not going to waive his NTC because of media and fans. IF he decides to, it will be for his reasons and wants only. He holds all the cards right now.

#82 Grape

Grape

Fruit

• Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:42 PM

Connolly, Purcell First for Schneids, please

mj761l.jpg0007.gif0007.gif0007.gif0007.gif  
Signature Credit to Vintage Canuck!

CDC PUCK-Washington Capitals

#83 Guest_BuckFoston_*

Guest_BuckFoston_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:47 PM

Game 3 is one thing but game 4 is a fairly significant message. You might disagree but when Schneider is coming off a loss and they go back to him for 2 elimination games..........there is something to it. I'm not sure I've seen a sports show that hasn't discussed the implications of this for next year. You really think it will just be business as usual next training camp?

Well I don't know if it will be business as usual, but I don't take the sports commentaries seriously anymore. I used to think those people knew more than we do (or most of us anyway), but really those panels are worse than CDC sometimes. And the fact they they are fueling the fire doesn't help.

I knew they were all jokesters once they unanimously called the Pens a cup contender this year. Boy, did I have a good laugh.

#84 tan

tan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:49 PM

realistically luongo can only be moved to tampa bay

why luongo would go to tampa bay

1) his wife closer to home and family

2) think off-season luongo goes to visit family in flordia, im positive they will put pressure on him to come closer

3) lu is a competitor he is obviously pissed off that he did not get to play

4) Steve Yzerman why won't he want to be in that organization?

5) no media pressure luongo can play his game without the crap vancouver media does

realistically it will be vinny lecavilar for luongo its a fair trade for both sides think of it.... two heavy contracts that is the only place i see luongo being traded to otherwise its going to be cory......................

(be realistic canucks fans no other team will take on luongos contract and lu also has a trade clausLue)
also keeping lu here would be a big mistake he needs a fresh start too much pressure

thanks for your concern where lui will be heading....

tumblr_m0nxk38n5q1qdlh1io1_400.gif

#85 canuckster19

canuckster19

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,758 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:49 PM

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Luongo isn't going anywhere. Gillis is not the type of GM that signs a player to a 12 year contract only to trade him two years into it. That would ruin his chances of signing any players long term again.

Him acting like he's uncertain which goalie he's going to keep is just him playing the game of further increasing Schneider's value. Schneider can bring us a huge return this summer as in a top 5 pick. This could very well be an impact player that can step right into our lineup.

Luongo has proven that he can carry this team all the way. He just needs a backup that can carry some of the load during the regualr season, and a D core that doesn't meltdown consistently in the playoffs.

I still believe Luongo can bring us a cup.

There are two sides to that coin, one could argue no prospects are going to want to play in our system if the big boys can't be outplayed for their roster spots simply because of the contract they have.
Posted Image
Trekkie Monster says: GO CANUCKS GO!

Please read the Board Rules

#86 Guest_BuckFoston_*

Guest_BuckFoston_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:51 PM

Could be florida, it will most likely be some combination of Connolly Purcell and a 1st

After finding out Connolly is from BC it makes a lot of sense to bring him in with Kassian at teh same time and a new coach. With Raymond gone we need 2RW and we've got em.

So he will go back to the place that he feels "slapped him in the face" by forcing arbitration after telling him he was their franchise goalie. Sounds legit.

#87 iknowitall

iknowitall

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:55 PM

luongo is not an idiot. he knows what playing schneider meant. not to say gillis and av were thinking to play cory so luongo will leave. but luongo is proud, what gillis/av did by sitting him is a slap in his face. it was justified though in my opinion. luongo also knows the fans are somewhat split on him. they lou his saves then jeer his saves after he lets in a couple. the media in vancouver is by far his hugest enemy.

im not a luongo fan, or a AV fan, and after this season not a raymond or even kesler fan. what the playoffs has taught us, not only this year but last year against boston, is that we are predictable. AV is a great regular season coach but i believe julien and bruins, and sutter and the kings, all beat us by coaching.

we had ZERO offense against boston. no sustained pressure. we won the first 2 games based solely on the fact that they didn't know us. once they figured us out, it was series over.

we didn't score, now do we upgrade one of the best regular season offence because we didn't produce in the playoffs? doesn't make sense.

it wasnt luongos or schneiders fault we lost. sutter did a fantastic job preparing his team for us. i hate sutter and it pains me to say that, but they came in ready for us. everything we excell at, they shut down

#88 Demo250

Demo250

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:04 PM

Don Cherry on Luongo a couple minutes ago -

"Get outta there, get your short list ready and waive your NTC, cause you don't backup anyone. Go to TB or something and you'll be terrific!"
Posted Image
Posted Image

#89 : }

: }

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:09 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

#90 gnarbot

gnarbot

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:24 PM

I don't see why everyone wants connoly. He really hasnt been that good in Tampa and never did
Anything in the world juniors. I know he's young but he's not who I would target out of Tampa

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.