The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Only Place Luongo Can Go Is Tampa Bay

yete

oh yah, gillis:   you NEVER sign goalies long term.  

how many goalies in the last 10 years of the nhl have had sucessful careers?    roy, brodeur and hasek.    with 60+ goalies a season, over 10 nhl seasons, your probably looking at 300 or so goalies over that time but under 10 who stayed sucessful.

goalies are streaky.   cam ward, osgood, nabokov, cujo, etc...   they have their flashes of brilliance then back to medicrocity.   luongo is no different.  schneider will be no different.   sign him to a 5 year contract and hopefully we get 3 or 4 great seasons  out him, then on to the next one.

Did someone have a press conference I missed? Because no official message like that has been sent aside from the media blowing everything out of proportion. So he sat 3 games in the playoffs after the team decided they couldn't be bothered to show up so the obvious shake up was to start someone else and it seemed to be working. But of course on CDC that translates to he is no longer # 1, he wants out, he will ask to be out, he will move far far away.

This fan base is so dramatic and childish they deserve neither. Would be great to get stuck with Lack as a starter since a bunch of fanboys once told me he was the second coming of Rinne. Good luck with that.

There's no way Tampa would take on Luongo's contract unless they dumped Lecavalier, since they're not a rich team.

Us going to Tampa with a trade would wreak of despertation on our part. The return on him would be so weak, that the benefit wouldn't outweigh keeping Luongo and trading Schneider.

Schneider could probably get us a top 5 pick from either Columbus, Toronto, or NYI.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Luongo isn't going anywhere. Gillis is not the type of GM that signs a player to a 12 year contract only to trade him two years into it. That would ruin his chances of signing any players long term again.

Him acting like he's uncertain which goalie he's going to keep is just him playing the game of further increasing Schneider's value. Schneider can bring us a huge return this summer as in a top 5 pick. This could very well be an impact player that can step right into our lineup.

Luongo has proven that he can carry this team all the way. He just needs a backup that can carry some of the load during the regualr season, and a D core that doesn't meltdown consistently in the playoffs.

I still believe Luongo can bring us a cup.

Lots of GM's would love Luongo, it's just whether or not Lu would waive his NTC. There are so many fringe teams that Luongo would push into the playoffs. The revenue alone would make it worth it for them to sign him. If the Canucks straight up told him they are wanting to sign Schneider and they will split the games, Lu would probably waive it to be a starter anywhere.

At this point if the Canucks are going with Schneider I think they would be happy just dumping Luongo's contract even if they don't get much in return.

This is all too bad. Luongo did so much for this organization and took them within 1 game of winning it all. Helped lead them to 2 President Trophy's. 1 year later he wasn't even the starter. Now it seems inevitable that he will be the one gone. Probably best for this organization and Luongo himself. I think this team is better off with Schneider long term. I'll miss the hell out of Lu if he does go and wish him nothing but the best. He is one of my all-time favorite Canucks.

realistically luongo can only be moved to tampa bay

why luongo would go to tampa bay

1) his wife closer to home and family

2) think off-season luongo goes to visit family in flordia, im positive they will put pressure on him to come closer

3) lu is a competitor he is obviously pissed off that he did not get to play

4) Steve Yzerman why won't he want to be in that organization?

5) no media pressure luongo can play his game without the crap vancouver media does

realistically it will be vinny lecavilar for luongo its a fair trade for both sides think of it.... two heavy contracts that is the only place i see luongo being traded to otherwise its going to be cory......................

(be realistic canucks fans no other team will take on luongos contract and lu also has a trade clause)

also keeping lu here would be a big mistake he needs a fresh start too much pressure

Archived