The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Trading Luongo Will Not Bring Us Back One Highly Paid Superstar Player

Why?

Because if I remember correctly, Mike Gillis believes in the money ball philosophy.

In the event that Roberto Luongo does get traded, it would give MG the chance to hit the proverbial "reset" button at the goaltending position and sign Schneider (hopefully) to a more reasonable contract that isn't 12 years long. Cory is probably worth somewhere in the range of 4-5M right now, but I'm not sure how long of a term he would want to sign for.

Lastly, If Gillis was somehow able to trade Luongo, I'm guessing he would want a return that is more spread around and not locked into one player so that he could fill more gaps in the lineup. Understandably so, we would have to take some salary back regardless of where Luongo goes but again I believe MG would prefer to have it spread around so it's easier to manage going forward. A pick, roster player and a prospect would be an ideal return for Luongo as opposed to just one highly paid player.

It just surprises me that so many people here seem to think that real life is actually NHL 12 and the "Luongo for Kovalchuk" or "Luongo for Parise" threads/comments run rampant.

Why?

Because if I remember correctly, Mike Gillis believes in the money ball philosophy.

In the event that Roberto Luongo does get traded, it would give MG the chance to hit the proverbial "reset" button at the goaltending position and sign Schneider (hopefully) to a more reasonable contract that isn't 12 years long. Cory is probably worth somewhere in the range of 4-5M right now, but I'm not sure how long of a term he would want to sign for.

Nice post, totally agree with what you have said.Gillis will be looking at "balance" and he can get that by moving Luongo. Also, remember he won't move luongo just for the sake of moving him if he doesn't get what he wants he can always move schneider.Lastly, If Gillis was somehow able to trade Luongo, I'm guessing he would want a return that is more spread around and not locked into one player so that he could fill more gaps in the lineup. Understandably so, we would have to take some salary back regardless of where Luongo goes but again I believe MG would prefer to have it spread around so it's easier to manage going forward. A pick, roster player and a prospect would be an ideal return for Luongo as opposed to just one highly paid player.

It just surprises me that so many people here seem to think that real life is actually NHL 12 and the "Luongo for Kovalchuk" or "Luongo for Parise" threads/comments run rampant.

Guest PUNJABI CANUCK

Sather got McDonagh, Higgins and picks. Yeah, not that much for a 7.8 million dollar waste. So we are trading a 5 mil cap hit of a player that can make an impact for nothing? Gillis better get something decent for him, because we will regret this trade of Luongo makes the other team receiving him a playoff contender and makes them money. That is not how it works buddy. Luongo is still considered a household name and an elite player who can still make an impact. We aren't dumping him for garbage or 7th round picks. Mark my word, but Luongo will bring a damn good return that nobody expected.

Archived