The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kassian Is Neely. Hodgson Is Pederson.

Tofitian

I see Hodgson becoming a Briere-type smaller clutch offensive player in the future. not a #1 centre, but more like a 1b/2. Kassian on the other hand has the upside of becoming a powerforward (hopefully) in the same mold as Lucic.

As much as I think trading for Kassian is the right move for the future, it still stings that Hodgson is gone. afterall, nobody remembers that Briere was drafted by the Phoenix Coyotes before being traded to the Sabres for Chris Gratton.

I see Hodgson becoming a Briere-type smaller clutch offensive player in the future. not a #1 centre, but more like a 1b/2. Kassian on the other hand has the upside of becoming a powerforward (hopefully) in the same mold as Lucic.

As much as I think trading for Kassian is the right move for the future, it still stings that Hodgson is gone. afterall, nobody remembers that Briere was drafted by the Phoenix Coyotes before being traded to the Sabres for Chris Gratton.

If Zach could get any where near the player Neely was this is a win. Neely is a 50 in 50 guy. Not too many of those around. I think Zach is a Chris Neal guy. If he can match Neal's play I would be happy with the trade.

People are comparing the trade to neely not the players. It was a lop-sides trade and Hodgson is obviously better. Kassian has weak puck handling and shooting but hoping can work things out. Next year Hodgson is going to be great and it's going to be hard to I watch. Only hope Kassian can at least be NHL ready by then.

I'm not saying that he will be the same kind of impact player that Neely was so much as I'm saying that from an unbiased perspective there's no way you'd compare Hodgson to Neely in this deal. Just trying to point out the inherently biased and negative view that most of the posters on this board seem to have.

This trade was made due to Hodgson and Hodgson only. Otherwise, the Canucks would've happily developed him so he could take the reins from the Sedins when they retire. So this trade is not like the Neely trade and it won't haunt the Canucks. If the player asks for a trade, what can we do?

I'd love what TC is saying to come true, but it's merely speculation and a mix of connecting dots that shouldn't be connected. Like a previous poster said, just because there was a trade years ago doesn't mean that's what will happen this time around.

Both players could develop into great superstars, or both could tank. No one knows yet.

I'm sure Zack 3 years from now will be a productive player.

But if we were going to trade Cody for a guy who is not ready for 3 years; why not just get a rental player so we had a reasonable crack at winning this year. We could have kept Hodgson, then traded him in the off season. We missed Hodgson's secondary scoring; you know, where we won 1 goal games against St Louis, Chicago, Detroit & Boston and Cody scored. We lost 3 out of 4 one goal games against LA.

That trade sold us out for this year, possibly next & the Sedin's likely will be on the decline by the time Kassian comes around. So it was a bad trade; because the GM over reacted to the guy being a pain.

FTR; Neely, like Lucic, was a stud from the get go. Neely got 36 goals for Boston when he was 21. Lucic got 42 points at age 20, 62 at age 22. Kassian may well become a good player, I hope he does, but he is not the blue chip stud Neely was, not even Lucic (and I would be thrilled if he became as good as Lucic!). Kassian is neither a Lucic nor a Neely by anything we have seen!

People should cheer Kassian; but give the good trade posts a rest. We got stiffed!

Kassian is the young, unproven, power forward that Neely was when the Canucks traded him for Barry Pederson.

Hodgson is the smaller, softer, more proven player that Pederson was before Boston sent him our way... after a major injury/surgery.

Zack's ceiling is way higher than Cody's in my opinion. He's a better skater, he has an above average NHL body, and he's got good hands. He's also been through way more adversity in his life than Cody has which I believe makes him a stronger person. The fact that he's willing to drop the gloves for his team also says a great deal about his drive/desire to succeed. Tearing a back muscle and hearing negative things from his coach was traumatic for Cody...

Don't get me wrong, I like Hodgson and I think he will be a solid player for buffalo, I just feel that some of you are insistent on seeing the glass half empty rather than realizing Gillis may have actually done his homework here.

I'm sure Zack 3 years from now will be a productive player.

But if we were going to trade Cody for a guy who is not ready for 3 years; why not just get a rental player so we had a reasonable crack at winning this year. We could have kept Hodgson & traded him in the off season. We missed Hodgson's secondary scoring; you know, where we won 1 goal games against St Louis, Chicago, Detroit & Boston when Cosy scored. We lost 3 out of 4 one goal games against LA.

That trade sold us out for this year, possibly next & the Sedin's likely will be on the decline by the time Kassian comes around. So it was a bad trade; because the GM over reacted to the guy being a pain.

FTR; Neely, like Lucic, was a stud from the get go. Neely got 36 goals for Boston when he was 21. Lucic got 42 points at age 20, 62 at age 22. Kassian may well become a good player, I hope he does, but he is not the blue chip stud Neely was, not even Lucic (and I would be thrilled if he became as good as Lucic!). Kassian is neither a Lucic nor a Neely by anything we have seen!

People should cheer Kassian; but give the good trade posts a rest. We got stiffed!

I like the comparison! Kassian is way meaner than Neely ever was. Check the tape on youtube, this kid destroyed in junior.

Looking forward to next season when Kassian steps up his physical game. Vigneault must learn how to develop the big boys, past failures in Bernier, and Oreskovich demonstrate he's not the biggest fan.

The title of your thread proves I'm right. You're an idiot.

I'd rather be a douche than a brain dead moron. Kassian has a higher ceiling than Hodgson? What a joke. Every single hockey expert out there disagrees with you. So when you make outrages claims saying,"Kassian is Neely..." you deserve to be called out and ridiculed. Everytime you try to back up your claim, you just show your stupidly. Good job jackass!

Archived