The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

David Booth Bruin Hunting, Shoots Down Chara?

PlayStation

Are we talking about threatening bears or those going about minding their own business in the wild?

If it's done in self defense, that's a whole other argument. I'm sure wildlife officers can take care of any problem bears that are on the loose.

And by point C, are you suggesting that they be exterminated? :picard:

The fact anyone has even agreed or condoned Booth's actions in what few consider a hunt is disgusting ! Every hunter I have talked to in Alberta(friends,strangers etc) are disgusted that this practice of baiting is still legal here ? The fact that a self proclaimed religious man is using such vile tactics to simply get a thrill and a trophy sickens me. I love hunting, the wild, tracking, hiding, the thrill of the chase or the catch, skinning and eating your catch, giving some of that meat to others, that is hunting. Laying down bait that is irresistible to game and simply waiting for them to come and grab a taste is cowardly at best. The animal has absolutely no chance ! I agree with many posters here that if he was to skin and eat and keep the hide I would be okay with it but to simply tag and bag for pleasure is just weak.

In BC, there are two legal methods to hunt bears. The terrain in BC lends itself to spot and stalk hunting, which is the most commonly used method. The other way to hunt bears in BC with hounds - the dogs pick up the scent, give chase, and tree the bear. The hunter then shoots the bear out of the tree.

The terrain in AB, SK and MB, does not lend itself to spot and stalk. This is why baiting is the method of choice east of the Rockies. An added benefit of hunting over bait is that it allows the hunter a good look at the bear, and eliminates the accidental harvesting of sows with young cubs.

If you find any or all of these methods distasteful, I'd suggest that you not hunt bears.

SS

The fact anyone has even agreed or condoned Booth's actions in what few consider a hunt is disgusting ! Every hunter I have talked to in Alberta(friends,strangers etc) are disgusted that this practice of baiting is still legal here ? The fact that a self proclaimed religious man is using such vile tactics to simply get a thrill and a trophy sickens me. I love hunting, the wild, tracking, hiding, the thrill of the chase or the catch, skinning and eating your catch, giving some of that meat to others, that is hunting. Laying down bait that is irresistible to game and simply waiting for them to come and grab a taste is cowardly at best. The animal has absolutely no chance ! I agree with many posters here that if he was to skin and eat and keep the hide I would be okay with it but to simply tag and bag for pleasure is just weak.

I bet someone will wear a bear costume to Canucks game next year

Gotta say it is sad looking at that beautiful animal being killed for just the thrill of it.

Booth is a public figure, while no one should question his right to hunt as a lawful activity ethical issues do arise in situations like this.

Recently the King of Spain had to appologise to his country when it was discoverd he killed an Elephant on a hunting trip in Africa.

As a public figure Booth should not have posted these pics and vids on the Internet. Only a stupid person would not expect a backlash in this type of situation.

I bet someone will wear a bear costume to Canucks game next year

Gotta say it is sad looking at that beautiful animal being killed for just the thrill of it.

Booth is a public figure, while no one should question his right to hunt as a lawful activity ethical issues do arise in situations like this.

Recently the King of Spain had to appologise to his country when it was discoverd he killed an Elephant on a hunting trip in Africa.

As a public figure Booth should not have posted these pics and vids on the Internet. Only a stupid person would not expect a backlash in this type of situation.

Meh. Never really cared about this situation as it's technically legal and therefore his choice (though, personally I don't like hunting). But once all the hooplah took over, media started chastising the Canucks org for Booth actions - I took notice.

So it's been like 1-2 weeks since he was told to take down the video. Canucks message: Take down the video down, think about it next time as it also affects us, and let this blow over. What does this guy do since then? Take a look at his twitter account. This guy just won't let it go. He's as bright as a burnt out light bulb. He's antagonistic, and frankly it's pathetic cause it reflects poorly on Canucks org. Clearly he didn't get the message, or he couldn't understand it - one or the other. I'm not a fan of this guy anymore. His season to forget, invisible performance in the playoffs followed up by comments essentially telling fans to take a hike, and now dragging out this nonsense?! I've seen enough of this guy in Vancouver.

Meh. Never really cared about this situation as it's technically legal and therefore his choice (though, personally I don't like hunting). But once all the hooplah took over, media started chastising the Canucks org for Booth actions - I took notice.

So it's been like 1-2 weeks since he was told to take down the video. Canucks message: Take down the video down, think about it next time as it also affects us, and let this blow over. What does this guy do since then? Take a look at his twitter account. This guy just won't let it go. He's as bright as a burnt out light bulb. He's antagonistic, and frankly it's pathetic cause it reflects poorly on Canucks org. Clearly he didn't get the message, or he couldn't understand it - one or the other. I'm not a fan of this guy anymore. His season to forget, invisible performance in the playoffs followed up by comments essentially telling fans to take a hike, and now dragging out this nonsense?! I've seen enough of this guy in Vancouver.

Archived