The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Worst Case Scenario: What Does The Team Do If Cory Turns Out Like Steve Mason?

jonnycanuck46

This is what I find to be ridiculous on CDC. Even if Schneider fails, the general reaction is, "oh well, too bad it didn't work out"?

It is definitely possible that Schneider may fail once given the big job. He already knows what it's like to be a Canuck goaltender and he's already had a bad game at the end of his first stretch of games.

There is no evidence that proves either or, but at this point there is no evidence that he will become like Luongo or better. If Schneider fails then I will forever include in my sig that it was a mistake to trade Luongo and that we're not winning the Cup unless we miraculously pick up a star for no cost.

Terrible comparison in my opinion.

Schneider will be more matured (Age 26), experienced and READY once he becomes a starting goaltender next season. If he stays with us he will have a much more complete and competitive team in front of him compared to Mason's first season as a starter at such a young age.

You are comparing to Mason who was rushed into a starting role at age 19/20 on a Columbus team is obviously no Vancouver Canucks. A young goaltender with promise playing with an incomplete team can be trouble. He did have a great first season but without a better team in front of him it's predictable to say he will have off years.

What I simply want to emphasize is that Schneider has been seasoned and Mason hasn't. He was rushed

This is why you don't put all your faith, Cup hopes and trust into some kid. He's played around 50 games in the NHL which is not enough to say that he'll be a Hall of Famer or Cup winner, this guy is still very much unproven to me untill he strings together a couple of solid full-time seasons.

If MG trades away Luongo and relies on Schneider, the Canucks won't win the division let alone the Cup. Schneider hasn't played a full NHL-season's workload yet so we have no idea what to expect there, and this defence isn't getting much better by the looks of things.

Best case scenario is that Luongo and Schneider both remain on the team and split the duties 41-41 or 50-30 in Luongo's favour. Brodeur and Thomas are proving to the world that you can still play well and even better as you age, even after your supposed prime, which is why I think we should keep Luongo - he is far from finished in this league whereas Schneider has a long way to go before he can be mentioned in the same sentence as those guys.

I doubt Mr. Ice Veins would realistically have the kind of hiccups you're talking about, or maybe that's just my rose-colored vision... really though, athletes are human and performance can change (e.g. after new contracts --> Cory is an RFA after all) but part of the fun (for fans anyways) is to wait and see whether management made the right move *cough*Cody*cough*

If possible it would be best to keep Lu around and have Cory "win" the starter job, have him start around 15 of 20 games and see how he does with Lu around to bail him out just like Cory was around to bail out Lu during the first round

Steve Mason played for Ken Hitchcock who's system notoriously has made goaltenders appear better than they really are.

Roman Cechmanek, Robert Esche, Pascal Leclaire, Marty Turco, etc.

This is why you don't put all your faith, Cup hopes and trust into some kid. He's played around 50 games in the NHL which is not enough to say that he'll be a Hall of Famer or Cup winner, this guy is still very much unproven to me untill he strings together a couple of solid full-time seasons.

If MG trades away Luongo and relies on Schneider, the Canucks won't win the division let alone the Cup. Schneider hasn't played a full NHL-season's workload yet so we have no idea what to expect there, and this defence isn't getting much better by the looks of things.

Best case scenario is that Luongo and Schneider both remain on the team and split the duties 41-41 or 50-30 in Luongo's favour. Brodeur and Thomas are proving to the world that you can still play well and even better as you age, even after your supposed prime, which is why I think we should keep Luongo - he is far from finished in this league whereas Schneider has a long way to go before he can be mentioned in the same sentence as those guys.

What if Marty Broduer never worked out in New Jersey? Would they have 6 Stanley cup trips? What would Lou Lamiorelo do at this point?

We go and find another goalie. Wat else.It's part of the business, and its a risk they have to make. What if Luongo continues to decline, after we decided to trade Schneider, and Schneider becomes the next Great USA goalie ,wins a gold medal for USAin 2014, wins a Vezina later on? Then what?

I'll laugh at all the Schneider haters on here once he has an amazing year for us next season (assuming he stays). You guys are utterly ridiculous. Apparently some people think nobody is ever ready to try a starting role since beyond playing the backup half the season+ and being over 26+, I don't really see what criteria you fools want that Schneider hasn't already exceeded massively.

"We won't even win the division with Schneider in net"--O RLY? I'll be sure to quote you on that next year.

I'll laugh at all the Schneider haters on here once he has an amazing year for us next season (assuming he stays). You guys are utterly ridiculous. Apparently some people think nobody is ever ready to try a starting role since beyond playing the backup half the season+ and being over 26+, I don't really see what criteria you fools want that Schneider hasn't already exceeded massively.

"We won't even win the division with Schneider in net"--O RLY? I'll be sure to quote you on that next year.

Your view is as moronic as the people you're berating.

People take their opinion that Schneider will be better than Luongo, or worse than mason, and act like their opinion is reality, that they know it is. Well, that isn't how it is. Schneider could be great, he could flop, or he could end up as a good but never great goalie, a career with under 70 games played so far doesn't tell us one way or another. Personally I think Schneider will be a great goalie, and more suited for the rampantly stupid Vancouver fans because he's extremely calm. But I know that is an opinion, not a fact. I hope he is the next Brodeur, but I'm sure as hell not going to act like I know he is.

It IS a gamble to trade Luongo and give schneider the chance to start, but I think it's a gamble worth taking. Even if he flops, I'll still feel that it was a risk that was worth it to take.

Archived