The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo's Trade Value Is Much Higher Than You May Think

Key piece I want is their 1st.

To Toronto; Lou, Tanev & our 1st

To Vancouver; TO's 1st, rights to Franson & Kadri.

::D We also get cap space > My key targets Souray at $1.9 mill & Arnott 2 years at $2.9

Danny/Hank/Burr -

Booth/Kesler/Arnott - Booth/Kadri/Bitz while Kess is out.

Higgins/Lapierre/Hansen - Higgins/Arnott/Hansen alternate 3rd line, the compete level off the charts!

Bitz/Malhotra/Kassian-

Volpatti

Hamhuis/Bieksa

Edler/Souray

Ballard/Franson

Ryan Murray

::D

Key piece I want is their 1st.

To Toronto; Lou, Tanev & our 1st

To Vancouver; TO's 1st, rights to Franson & Kadri.

::D We also get cap space > My key targets Souray at $1.9 mill & Arnott 2 years at $2.9

Danny/Hank/Burr -

Booth/Kesler/Arnott - Booth/Kadri/Bitz while Kess is out.

Higgins/Lapierre/Hansen - Higgins/Arnott/Hansen alternate 3rd line, the compete level off the charts!

Bitz/Malhotra/Kassian-

Volpatti

Hamhuis/Bieksa

Edler/Souray

Ballard/Franson

Ryan Murray

::D

If the trade makes sense and improves the team go for it. But I dont want to see Luongo out of here because he said he would be 'willing' to waive his trade clause if asked to. He (and the Canucks organisation) have stated that him asking for a trade has not occured and Gillis even said he expects (or wouldn't be surprised) if both goaltender's remain on the team.

Don't trade for the sake of it!!!

Columbus had the money to pay for Jeff Carter's salary.

I honestly don't know what you people see in Luke Schenn. How does Burke go from the only player that will not be traded on our team is Schenn, he is untouchable to, we are listening to everyone about everyone on our team. Burke and the Leafs have given up on Schenn because they now see he is ineffective on the ice. At 3.6m a year, no thanks

Carter and Richards have very similar contracts and both were moved for very high return- Carter twice in the same year despite a weak season and suffering an injury - and neither of those guys have the potential impact that a player like Luongo could make in Toronto or Florida.

Carter and Richards are now playing in the Stanley Cup Finals. To say their impact in L.A. is less than Luongo's would be in Toronto or Florida is laughable. No way does Luongo make either of those teams a Stanley Cup finalist. He only made our far superior team a finalist once, as you may recall.

LA is a lot better team without those 2 guys than Toronto is though. Toronto doesn't have guys like Doughty, Kopitar, Quick, Brown already in their lineup. They have Kessel, who's less valuable than all of those guys for the Kings.

Vokoun - Old, unable to carry a decent work load last year.

Thomas (maybe) - He's 38, and showed big signs of regression last year.

Lindback (probably) - Has not proven anything.

Bernier (probably) - Hasn't proven he can handle a heavy work load or pressure.

Luongo - Easily the best of the class, Superstar goalie who needs a new start.

There's only 1 guy like Lu in the goalie class this year.

The OP is bang on.

Luongo makes any team he goes to an instant playoff team. Think about what that would be worth to a team like Toronto. Think what it would mean to a team like Columbus, even though he'd never agree to play there.

Personally, I'm not sure about the rumoured TO deal because I'm not sure Schenn is going to be anywhere near the player he was expected to be when drafted, and Gardiner isn't a top pairing player.

So, what's your point? Did the Kings make the finals before Richards and Carter arrived? Do you seriously think a weak team like the Leafs would improve that much with Luongo that they would be a contender? Especially considering they would need to give something of value back from an already limited talent pool?

Wouldn't be surprised if Bozak comes back our way instead of Gardiner.  Might make it more appealing for TO and we get someone who can center our third line/fill in for Kesler/move anywhere in the line up really.

IMO Bozak would be a good target.

They are more in need of Roberto than Nash, because Nash can't get them into the playoffs with the goaltending they have, Luongo could put them in the playoffs and it would cost much less.

After looking on the boards many fans would feel fine giving up Gardiner or Schenn and there 1st, they seem fine with it and feel Roberto still has alot to offer (which he does).

I think Gardiner and a 1st could be around the price that it will take for them to get Roberto, maybe a little more, maybe a little less but around there.

One thing to consider here, in all this debate about Toronto specifically is how badly does Burkey need to make the playoffs, well, he has HAS to in order to save his job/career, his leash is up in Toronto, so thats the first issue.

Second point would be, out of the goalies available, which of those goalies give Toronto the best chance AND the longest window of opportunity with an all-star calibre goalie to actually get to the cup. So of those goalies which in combination are:

a. Proven All star calibre

b. At an age where they can compete long enough so that the window to make the finals isn't just a year or two (ie Thomas - and the leafs won't make the cup in the next year or two, so while Thomas gets them in, they go nowhere).

c. Have leadership and experience in the playoffs and the cup

When you look at all those factors, I think a rational person will realize, contract issue or not, Luongo makes the absolute most sense for Toronto, and while they will posture in the media, they NEED him...Surprising that a guy like Burke, with the biggest mouth in the world hasn't said a word on this hey? Maybe he's learning.

I have appreciated Lou for what he did for our team, I think it is time for him to move, and I do think in some sense the media and vancouver fans actually do underestimate his worth. Further his worth is not only based on what he has accomplished, its also based on how badly someone needs him vs. other alternatives.

If Burke had never made the Kessel trade we would see a boatload coming back, thats the only issue now for him, he's trying to save face so it will be harder, but don't discount how important this trade is to Toronto.

*Just a reality check on Lu's potential huge trade value compared to past trades as of late*

This year Gaustad got traded for a 1st and is nothing close to Luongo's value. Last year Varlamov got traded for a VERY low Avs 1st round pick and he too is not close to Lu's value. Last year too Dustin Penner got traded for a 1st. Same as Kaberle, who ontop TO got a 1st, a 2nd, a top prospect for literally a bum of a player.

....The message I'm trying to get across is these players listed above were valued high enough to get a 1st rounder alone and those players are easily not even close to Luongo's ball park value wise. We Vancouver fans seem to know it all and know how much Luongo is worth, but in other cities like TO, their fans are willing to offer way more cause they know Luongo is an elite. To us it seems like TO fans are out of their minds, when they are not, and to them it seems like we're retards valuing him so lowly which some of us are.

The Fan 590 in Toronto (Like our Team 1040 but more popular) was talking about possibly giving up their 1st, Gardiner and Schenn for Luongo alone and ontop of that were still questioning whether or not if they have the assets to get it done and get MG to do it. Yea you guys are gonna say 'MG would be crazy to not do it', but your missing out on the point - the point isn't MG should do it, no, its look at the potential value Luongo has and what a possible trade could bring to us. Most of the fans here are far to close minded and think Lu's value is rock bottom cause of no Stanley Cup, but many teams would be willing to pay a massive price for him. Here's the link to the interview on the Fan 950

http://www.sportsnet..._luongo_update/

....Damn this interview has stirred up a lot more and it'll take Luongo talk to another level now.

Other possible deals may play a major role in where Lou lands. Other deals may provide better circumstances for the team. Jonathan Bernier from LA, may be a more attractive option for GMs. They would get a great goaltender and don't have to give up the term that Lou got. Anders Lindback is another goalie fitting this category.

Martin Brodeur staying or retiring may determine a lot as well.

Even if MG were willing to trade Schneids, I think it's way too late for Lou to be able to save face. If he hadn't said he was willing to waive his no trade clause, maybe him in Vancouver could've remained a possibility; But who wants a goalie who doesn't want to be here? Granted, the fans voiced their opinions during many games last year, but seeing as how they pay good money to watch, they have that right. But the majority has spoken and Schneids would appear to be the man.

I can see Lou having to expand his list to get a deal done. If he doesn't, I can see a long, ugly future for Lou. How can he return to Vancouver with any kind of confidence in himself and in the fans? The simple answer is, he can't. So what happens then? Is he AHL bound? This would deminish his value greatly and his pride may not allow him to do this. Sadly, the best scenario may be for him not to report to camp. At least then MG could suspend him without pay.

Of course it is way too early to speculate, but these are realistic possibilities. This is why I hate long term deals and no trade clauses. It's way too limiting to the team. Unfortunately, as long as there's an idiot GM out there who will give these contracts, they will continue to burden teams. MG was forced into a situation due to market conditions. At the time he knew if he didn't comply that he would lose Lou. No one expected Schneids to come around like he did. If Schneids doesn't turn into the star he is, no one is having this conversation right now.

Archived