The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo's Trade Value Is Much Higher Than You May Think

Carter and Richards are only part of a team, not superstars in the calibre of a Malkin, or Patrick Roy as a forward or goalie respectively.

Watch LA play. The first reason they are winning is their daunting first line. It is a physical beast of a line for teams to match up with Dustin Brown, Penner and Kopitar at 205, 225 & 242 lbs respectively. They have speed, talent and wrecking ball mentality. They are amongst playoff points & plus/minus leaders, hits, drawing penalties and often play head to head against lines like the Sedins.

I argue J Quick (who is leading the league in save % and GAA, Doughty who on his own can break pressure and Willie Mitchell are all also more important components than Carter & Richards.

Carter and Richards are now playing in the Stanley Cup Finals. To say their impact in L.A. is less than Luongo's would be in Toronto or Florida is laughable. No way does Luongo make either of those teams a Stanley Cup finalist. He only made our far superior team a finalist once, as you may recall.

It would finally give us the depth to trade Ballard!

Edler / Schultz

Hanmhuis / Schenn

Gardiner / Bieksa

(not saying Schenn is better than Bieksa, just liked the look of the pairing).

Now with Lou and Ballards cap off the books we have all kinds of shopping money for physical forwards or one more depth defenceman. (Arnott/Souray)

Like I said, the best we can hope for is Gardiner straight up and even that is a stretch. I don't see how Burke could justify moving (if you include Shultz if that rumour is true) three young d prospects with low cap hits ($3.6 is low for Schenn if he raises his game). If even two of them excelled in Vancouver that would be the end of Burke, maybe from the entire league.

Besides, what would the Canucks do with all those young d-men?

:P Redneck Tim Thomas would retire before coming to Toronto. He would lose his god given right to pack a shotgun in the back of his Ford pickup truck, and shoot varmint Jamaicans running amok in his neighborhood? :rolleyes:

I wouldn't be surprised if Toronto makes another trade with Boston and acquires Tim Thomas for Schenn or something if Burke can't make a low ball deal for Luongo.

I definitely would want all or a combination of Franson, Schenn and their 1st and if we must accept a cap dump, I'd take Lombardi.

One thing that ups Luongo's value for Toronto? PRESSURE.

Goalies are headcases. You never know how they are going to react to change, and to pressure-filled fanbases. Vokoun may be a good goaltender, but this was his first year on a team expected to win...and he definitely underwhelmed. And the Caps' fanbase is NOTHING compared to T.O.

Same goes for a young guy like Bernier. He hasn't exactly set the world on fire in LA, despite the seemingly stellar defensive structure of his team. Does anyone think he'll go to Toronto, with the weight of the world on his shoulders, and that Chinese fire drill of a defense in front of him, and actually play better?

That said, I still would be shocked if we managed to pry Gardiner or the 5th overall pick from them...and there's not a chance in hell that we'd get both.

One thing that ups Luongo's value for Toronto? PRESSURE.

Goalies are headcases. You never know how they are going to react to change, and to pressure-filled fanbases. Vokoun may be a good goaltender, but this was his first year on a team expected to win...and he definitely underwhelmed. And the Caps' fanbase is NOTHING compared to T.O.

Same goes for a young guy like Bernier. He hasn't exactly set the world on fire in LA, despite the seemingly stellar defensive structure of his team. Does anyone think he'll go to Toronto, with the weight of the world on his shoulders, and that Chinese fire drill of a defense in front of him, and actually play better?

That said, I still would be shocked if we managed to pry Gardiner or the 5th overall pick from them...and there's not a chance in hell that we'd get both.

If we got Gardiner and and a first that's a heck of a trade. We'd get younger, a tremendous offensive Dman in Gardiner (I live in t.o, i can see why Burke stole him from Anaheim, and therefore he will be hard to pry away) plus their first which is 5th. You get potentially two young stars (albeit unproven) for him, a great trade for us, not sure burkey will do that.

I see more a trade in the vein of:

Luongo

2012 First round pick

Raymond

Colborne

Schenn

2012 First Round pick

Whats your solution?

Oh, I know, trade Ballard, Raymond and a first for Nash... :picard:

35 points last year on the third line for Arnott, for a 6'5" 220 lb center / right wing that does not require breaking up our core is EXACTLY what we need. He's still fast enough to provide defensive pressure that made St Louis a cup favourite, an upgrade even on pre-injury Manny. He has a mean strak. He can jump up to the 2knd or first line if someone is hurt, play PP. A former team captain with a cup ring... And at a price we can still afford to address issues on D!

Jason Arnott? For 2 years? Thanks for the early morning laugh.

Don't forget that Lu has proven himself in a hockey crazed city!

That is also a selling point for T.O.

When you look at the list of goalies that maybe traded this summer, you can't tell who will fold in a crazy market, except for Lu.

He is the hottest trade bait this summer FOR SURE no matter what the GM's are saying.

Cheers.

Go Canucks Go

I'd be shocked if Gillis can get that much in return... it would make up for the Hodgson trade, but if Burke is give up Jake or their 1st I would think it'll be for a #1 centre, Burke can afford to wait it out and see what he can get during the summer, if Luongo is at training camp or on the roster next season it's going to be a crap show with our media and a huge distraction to the team.

I'd be shocked if Gillis can get that much in return... it would make up for the Hodgson trade, but if Burke is give up Jake or their 1st I would think it'll be for a #1 centre, Burke can afford to wait it out and see what he can get during the summer, if Luongo is at training camp or on the roster next season it's going to be a crap show with our media and a huge distraction to the team.

Archived