The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Stanley Cup final ratings a disaster!

but if the refs are supposed to call it all and not let things go come playoff time... that would mean MORE of those types of calls. Think that's good for the NHL?

(sorry, this wasn't really directed at you.. but a couple pages ago it was mentioned how the refs let things go come playoff time, so I wanted to use your post as an example of WHY it's good they let things go.)

The penalty issue, is in part, inconsistency. Ever since the "new rules", such as the stick on the hands, which I think are ticky tack calls, especially if they aren't a slashing type infraction. Sure the player is being impeded, but when three guys get into a corner and a player has his stick in there, all the opposing player needs to do is tuck the stick in. That's the October, to last game, to the playoffs, reference I was making.

As a goalie, did you feel like your safety was compromised with your older equipment? Someone was saying they felt like a marshmellow with their new stuff. If safety wasn't compromised, I would hope they could limit the size of padding, I remember them measuring goal pads awhile back. Some of those goal gloves look like baskets as well, is there a limit on the dimensions for them?

If changes were made on the goalie equipment, I would say the nets wouldn't need to be touched at all. Goalie size wouldn't be too much of an issue, if that would happen. I grew up watching 60's NHL, they played a lot of 3-1, 2-1, games, and that was with 6 teams, only when Gretzky and the Oilers came along did the scoring increase dramatically.

Do I want to see clutch and grab hockey? NO, but, if the refereeing doesn't improve, and become more consistent, we'll all be terribly disappointed in the quality of NHL hockey for many years. A larger ice surface might be the best thing to open the game up, and give them the best opportunity to see everything on the ice.

This is not surprising. The night that LA could have won the cup, I honestly didn't even know what the outcome of the game was until last night. That's how many fracks I give about this current SCF.

Heck, I'm more interested in Lions training camp than I am hockey right now.

This is not surprising. The night that LA could have won the cup, I honestly didn't even know what the outcome of the game was until last night. That's how many fracks I give about this current SCF.

Heck, I'm more interested in Lions training camp than I am hockey right now.

I can understand inconsistency after the playoffs start, but the whole "October vs playoffs" idea I don't agree with. People want to talk about how things get harder in the playoffs, which is what makes the Cup so much more meaningful vs other sports trophies... yet they want that "challenge" taken away?

The equipment I use today is about 10 years old (so it's not REALLY out of date, but it is "older" equipment,) but the main reason why I don't fear for my safety is because when I grew up playing goalie in the 80s/90s.. most of the equipment I used was from the 60s/70s (till I got into high school in the 90s and finally got updated equipment.) So I was dealing with bruises after every game to the point where it was "just part of the position." The stuff I have today is about 10 years old (so it's not NEW, but it's still "new-enough") and I can still feel it when someone takes a solid shot at my chest (or even into my glove/blocker.) Then again, I don't go for the "larger is better" idea due to playing in old equipment (I can't move as freely as I'd like in larger equipment.) I do know some goalies with new stuff, and they also still get a few bruises when someone takes a solid slap shot at them (and most of those shots aren't 90mph.. probably closer to 70mph.) So to compare the equipment I used in the 90s to what I use today... it is a lot safer today, and I wouldn't want to use that old stuff today (I'd still do it... but only because I'm an idiot like that *lol*) I did have a friend that was a sales rep for a goalie equipment company (a small company that never really worked out) and he had me try on one of their new chest protectors... I couldn't touch my nose no matter how hard I tried. He showed me how it could take a 100mph slap shot to any part of it.. and you wouldn't feel a thing. But what good is that, if you can't move and end up like the kid in "A Christmas Story?" (I can't put my arms down!)

I'm glad you brought up the 80s vs the 60s, because people seem to always overlook a key element in why scoring dropped off in the 90s (which ties directly into those eras of hockey.) In the 80s, players and coaches changed their view of how the game is played. A prime example of this is how players (especially forwards) were no longer told to play on "their side" of the ice the whole game... they were being told about puck support, moving to open ice, etc. (think of it like going from playing "dome hockey" to video game hockey.) Meanwhile, goalies were still being told to "stay up!" and not drop to the ice. Then came Patrick Roy, who debunked that whole idea and coaches picked up on it to teach their goalies... suddenly by the 90s, goalies were getting better and better and catching up with the evolution of the skaters. With that came major equipment changes, especially in how leg pads were made (the early pads weren't made to "roll" onto their sides on their own when dropping down.) Today, it's almost a total reversal of coaching goalies... because now they can "pad slide" around the net and not "stay up!" Along with that, comes the idea of wanting taller goalies (because they can cover the top of the net better while down on the ice.) So because of all those events, the most logical thing to do is raise the net by 6" to try and make it so these taller goalies that pad slide around the net... don't just stay down the whole time and take away the bottom of the net (you force them back onto their feet... which would open the lower part of the net once again.)

I would love to see the NHL go to "olympic size" ice (several college teams in the US play on the bigger sheet... and it's great to watch!) But that would require all kinds of renovation in arenas that owners don't want (you'd loose seating in the prime ticket price area.) You could try to "grandfather" the ice size in the NHL, but then fans would be up in arms over that (the faster skating teams would have issues on the smaller ice, and the more physical teams would have issues with the larger ice.)

Most exciting series so far that comes to my mind is Round 1 between Phoneix and Chicago. That was a awesome series, with all those o.t games in that series. Contending teams like Detroit and Vancouver went out way too fast. Pittsburgh getting slautered wasn't pretty at all. It was also very exciting following the Washington and Boston Series, as Canucks fans badly wanted them to lose. But hell no, this is by far one of the least interesting playoffs in recent memory. Even though an 8th seed and a 6th seed is involoved, but terrible. Right now, Luongo and his trade rumors is generating more interest then the series itself.

Very insightful post +1. I like your net idea and the rinks do need to be expanded without a doubt. I sure hope the NHL can figure out a way to eliminate the zone defense teams play which puts 3 against 5 down low and increases the likelyhood of back pressure catching the forwards. The game today as stated from the 2 most informed hockey minds (Lemaire and Bowman) has been changed the most from the goalies padding and style and the forward collapse in the d zone.

Wondering if you as a goalie could shed some insight on the reason the NHL has allowed goalies to wear 38" high pads on a 6'2" keeper?

If rules aren't changed or referee meetings aren't held to get this game out of the stalemate it's in right now, lots of teams are going to try and get bigger, stronger and more sound defensively after watching defensive stalwarts like Boston and L.A win championships by overcoming offensive juggernauts like Vancouver and Philadelphia.

If I was the Commish of the NHL. I would make a rule that 20 years from now (2032) is a goal for all arenas to handle international sized rinks. The players are so big now, the only other option is to go to 4 on 4, but purists will freak on that.

A larger ice surface would make it harder to play the trap, but if clutching and grabbing isn't called you can still tie up a skilled player.

I think what we need is consistency in the rules. You shouldn't be changing the way the game is called 1/2 way into a season.

I am watching with the sound turned off. Glen Healey is the worst commentator in the universe.

I don't mind Hughson, but the rest on CBC are idiots. You can tell they're terrible at repeating what their eyes and ears are telling them to say

Here's to TSN or SN getting the contract in the future, or CBC taking a new direction.

part of why there was a dip was probably because of how LA rolled past everyone en route to the finals.. then they go up 3-0 (even after it was 2-0 people probably figured this series was "over" for the most part.) I'd like to see what game 6 brings for viewers now.

Archived