The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why I think people hate on Luongo.

Not A Fruit

It's plain and simple. There has never been a goalie in the history of the Canucks that did not make it more than three seasons without getting boo'ed out of the market. Canuck fans will give Cory a window of three years and if he doesn't win a cup they will run him out of town. Even Captain Kirk got boo'ed in 93 and fans wanted him out, the next year he makes a cup run. Fans here will never be satisfied with the goalie they have. We like shiny new toys.

It doesn't matter whether he let in 3 or 1... The fact of the matter is that Luongo let in bad goals. He's known for letting in bad goals and softies. Even worse, he lets them in at the worse times, if that makes sense. The goals he lets in totally blow the sails off the ship.

People only hate Luongo because of the types of goals he lets in, and when he lets them in. He's the type of goalie who plays so well for a stretch of games, but also has a bunch of really bad ones.

People hate Luongo because he's cocky and can't handle the media pressure here thus comes off very unfriendly. He never looks at the camera in interviews and has this constant look of annoyance with the media. Add that with not showing up for big games people aren't exactly pleased with him.

I don't hate Luongo. I don't even hate his contract - realistically, it's not that bad. It's just that the length of the contract has created a very complicated situation.

I don't even hate his performance. He's a very good goalie. I just don't have faith that he is the one to take the Canucks all the way.

When I see Schneider play, however, I get that feeling of greatness. Not necessarily FHOF greatness, but thrives under less than ideal conditions, excells in the face of danger, poised under pressure greatness.

People hate on Luongo because of the trends we're starting to see with him. One of the reasons is due to his great play when he first came here. No one hated on him, people referred to him as a "God" because he played amazing.

Overtime, there's been too many excuses for how he's played. The slow starts in October or he's not getting enough games. Yet we have a young goaltender who never plays enough but performs up to expectations whenever he's put in between the pipes.

Luongo's contract isn't that bad in a sense that it helps our team cap wise, it's just that we've seen him melt down too many times in the playoffs.

People can blame the defense all they want, and I agree that the defense are bad at times. However, you can't expect to give up 7-8 goals consistently every year and assume your team can win.

Game 6 against Boston, Luongo lost that game himself. Giving up 4 goals in the span of 3 mins? The first goal was a snipe coming off the rush, short side by Marchand. You can't let those in during an elimination game.

I don't think people hate him, but rather have grown tired of all the excuses that build up towards his play. "Bad defense, not enough games, too many games and needs more rest."

People in Vancouver hate Luongo because of the way the Media portrays him (Tony Gallagher, Jason Botchford etc. etc.). Let's be real here, what percentage of Canucks fans in Vancouver are actually educated hockey fans? Probably less than 10%. These so called "Canucks fans" believe anything that they hear in the media because that is their source of being knowledgeable in hockey.

Where else would these people get their knowledge from? It's not like they would put in the time to go on the internet to do some research on the Canucks...They either get their info from the newspaper or their friends whom also get their info from the newspaper or their friends and the cycle continues...

That's the thing about Vancouverites. Majority of the ppl are not entitled to their own opinions. They rather obtain the information from someone else and use that to become their "own" opinion.

Honestly though, I don't blame them. It's difficult not to get brainwashed by the garbage Gallagher and Botchford write. I even find myself drifting away from my own personal beliefs to agree with their garbage.

Luongo is nothing more than a goalie mask full of hair gel.

Anyone who defends him has never played hockey

cause you would know how much of a momentum killer a week goal is.

Deep in that teams mind they lost faith in him

you can see the difference in the way they play in front of him vs Schneider.

well you can't cause you are a blindfolded luongo lover, but most people do.

AV put a inexperienced unproven goalie in the most important games of the year cause Luongo is an elite playoff performer?

or do you think AV has seen this story before.

People have the right to dislike Luongo because sports is a business, and you are NOT judged by past performances but current performances. Also people like me hate Luongo because he is paid alot but don't perform based on his salary, eating up our cap space. If he was paid less then fine, or if he performs like how much he is paid I would dislike him less.

I believe it's because of how Luongo played when he was first acquired. When he first came over, he was lights out. It helped that we played a tight defensive game, but Luongo put us on his back and carried us for the season. Now as he's gotten older (also suffered a groin injury), and our game has opened up, he's become more mortal. Despite this, many people still expect the elite Luongo we had in the past.

It also doesn't help that Schneider has only had a handful of bad games, and for the most part looks solid, while Luongo has become a bit streaky.

Listen I am tired of all the excuses you people have, oh poor loungo poor poor loungo. Grow up who cares why do you think the entire league laughs at us. Because we have a goalie getting paid elite status, and yet he is under performing at the most critical time of the year. Last year was his year to win the cup and he blew it, simple as that. Cory has just as much right, as a number one first round goalie to prove himself worthy of taking over ,and clearly he is ready if you boneheads cant see that for what it is then you cleary dont see what the scouts seen in this bright young star.

Sure we can blame the offence but there are alot of goalies in this league who are game changers, who step it up in the playoffs and for what I have seen from last years loungo and this years loungo he took a step backwards. Mr diva himself, has to much of a ego. If he had any kind of commitement to this team he should have taken less when he first came to vancouver. Hell 2 or 3 million less could have helped this team in other ways then in his high caliber pocket. All I hear is cory isnt good enough cory this and cory that. News flash cory is younger, plays smarter and handles media alot better then cry me a river loungo. Ive supported loungo and this team for along time but when the players in front play harder for another guy then it is clear they like him, its not that they dont like loungo,but cory just seems right for the team. Martin Brodeur is older then loungo and still showing elite status. I am tired of you people putting loungo on a pedal stool like he is the next freaking messiah, he is not and it is time to clear up some cap space and move him and give cory the chance to excel.

Very well thought out

Never really thought of it like that, like when he made fun of Thomas in the SCF then got shelled the next game, I thought that was an embarrassment to the entire organization.

How did Thomas react to Luo's criticism?

Totally out played him

Archived