The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why Canucks don't have a Stanley Cup? No loyalty to their players

miles.p

Letting them walk away is better than signing them to undeserved contracts that cash strap our team. Anson Carter demanded $3 million per season because he thought he made the Sedins. Turns out that the Sedins made him because he never put up the numbers he did with the Canucks and he's no longer in the NHL.

Burrows makes $2 mill and him taking that discount along with Hamhuis, Bieksa, Sedins, Luongo, etc. allowed us to put together an elite team that, yes fell apart during the playoffs, but still won the President's Trophy, and is primed to be successful in the future

I totally agree with you OP.

We're too cheap and unloyal to "non AV favourites" and we ditch them without a second though. Then we accept high risk contracts such as Ballard (known concussion issue) and Booth? And if you compare stats, Booth had no better track record in scoring than Samuelsson, while Samuellson had proven playoff experience. Talk about hypocrits.

And how is giving Torres 2 years at $1M/yr a big risk? Even on the 4th line, Torres is a bargain at $1M who can move up and down the roster (much like Lapierre).

And let's not get started with the Hodgson situation. If a team like Pittsburgh can run with Crosby/Malkin/Staal, I don't see why the Canucks can't run with a 2nd tier combination of Henrik/Kesler/Hodgson.

And the coaching staff didn't even try to develop Hodgson's defensive abilities by putting him in positions to succeed/fail. Adam Henrique didn't exactly have the best FO% either, but NJD kept at it (and also worked with Adam Oates the entire season) and he eventually became one of the team's go-to faceoff men.

Our team isn't going anywhere with AV and his favourites for grinders.

Wow terrible post,

A) Erhoff is way over payed and is to soft on a team that needs to get tougher

B) Torres almost cost us the blackhawks series last year and was suspended when Phoenix needed him this year.

C) Samuelson the heart of the team? No, just no

D)Hodgson wanted out, not the other way around

The only somewhat valid point is willie Mitchel, but maybe you dont remember(probably cause you jumped onto the Canucks bandwagon last year) but willie Mitchel had HUGE concussion problems because of a certain greasy Russian in PIT. His future was very uncertain at the time.

I always loved Mitchel and wish we kept him, but completely see why management didn't want to take the risk.

I totally agree with you OP.

We're too cheap and unloyal to "non AV favourites" and we ditch them without a second though. Then we accept high risk contracts such as Ballard (known concussion issue) and Booth? And if you compare stats, Booth had no better track record in scoring than Samuelsson, while Samuellson had proven playoff experience. Talk about hypocrits.

And how is giving Torres 2 years at $1M/yr a big risk? Even on the 4th line, Torres is a bargain at $1M who can move up and down the roster (much like Lapierre).

And let's not get started with the Hodgson situation. If a team like Pittsburgh can run with Crosby/Malkin/Staal, I don't see why the Canucks can't run with a 2nd tier combination of Henrik/Kesler/Hodgson.

And the coaching staff didn't even try to develop Hodgson's defensive abilities by putting him in positions to succeed/fail. Adam Henrique didn't exactly have the best FO% either, but NJD kept at it (and also worked with Adam Oates the entire season) and he eventually became one of the team's go-to faceoff men.

Our team isn't going anywhere with AV and his favourites for grinders.

You guys can talk as much crap as you want about Ehrhoff, but we would've won the Cup last year if he was healthy.

Probably would've gone deep if we still had him. He ran our team offensively from the back end.

God i would kill to get Ehrhoff back.

dude seriously?. Ehrhoff and Carter were both greedy wanted more money then they deserved. Do you know what happened to Carter after he left? He was out of the league within 2 years. Though I'm not a big fan of MG (and I think CDC over-rates him) he still made a legit offer to Ehrhoff (same offer that Bieksa accepted). Buffalo way over-paid for the guy.

As for Samuelsson, he's gonna have nothing left in the tank pretty soon and Mitchell was coming off a concussion and MG didn't want to commit to him for more then 2 years which is understandable. Guys like you would've been calling for MG's head had he signed Mitchell to a 2-3 year deal and Mitchell then suffered chronic headaches. They parted ways and things worked out for Willie, good for him.

The only thing I agree with you is the Hodgson issue. I think they could've handled it differently. If he wanted more play time, I always thought they could've moved him up to center the 2nd line and move Kes to the wing. Hodgson is a better playmaker then Kes anyways. But if they did have to move him, I think MG should've done it in the offseason. Not sure why he rushed it so much. Deadline deals are usually not very good, you can make better ones during the offseason

Meh, the team just needs to be more gritty. Im proud that LA won, they totally deserved it, and I hope Vancouver fans noticed that the New Jersey fans did not riot. It shows the respect to the team they lost to, respect for the NHL, respect for the home team and especially respect for the city. Maybe one day Vancouver will learn to behave like all the other teams. I know we can have pretty good fans but maybe one day be more mature and respectful like all other 29 teams. I still lost my respect for Vancouver fans since that day, but we need to move forward and hopefully this doesnt happen again if we ever make the finals again.

Salo - Been with the team for 9 years, often injured. The team could have easily given up on him.

Ohlund - 11 years with the Canucks + kept him after a serious eye injury

Kesler - was offersheeted (is that a word? lol) the team stuck to him and transformed him to one of the best 2 way players in the game.

Burrows - Was playing roller hockey and now plays in the top line with 2 future HOFs.

Sedins - Nuff said

Bieksa - Same with Burrows, no contract, gave him a chance and now a top 4 defenceman.

I'd say this orginazation has been preety loyal to it's players...

You guys can talk as much crap as you want about Ehrhoff, but we would've won the Cup last year if he was healthy.

Probably would've gone deep if we still had him. He ran our team offensively from the back end.

God i would kill to get Ehrhoff back.

Salo - Been with the team for 9 years, often injured. The team could have easily given up on him.

Ohlund - 11 years with the Canucks + kept him after a serious eye injury

Kesler - was offersheeted (is that a word? lol) the team stuck to him and transformed him to one of the best 2 way players in the game.

Burrows - Was playing roller hockey and now plays in the top line with 2 future HOFs.

Sedins - Nuff said

Bieksa - Same with Burrows, no contract, gave him a chance and now a top 4 defenceman.

I'd say this orginazation has been preety loyal to it's players...

Gentlemen and ladies.... Everybody seems to enjoy arguing with a 14 year old. Canucks don't have a Stanley Cup because Hamhuis and several others picked a bad time to get hurt last year. This year they stopped scoring at the wrong time and tried to play an overly conservative style of game. That was also dictated by the different rule book that is used for the playoffs.

The rules are: Shoot the puck over the boards - penalty. Too many men on the ice penalty. Everything else - not a penalty, unless maybe something just happened that should have been a penalty and the other team scores - then a penalty is called. Oh an if you cut a guy - usually that's a penalty too. Under those rules big and tough beats small and skilled - that's why Canucks, Detroit, etc won't win the cup anytime soon.

BTW... I loved the way that Wille Mitchell played for us, but the decision to let him go was the right one at the time, based on the facts. I was happy to see him hoist the chalice tonight because he went through a hell of a lot to rebound from his concussion problems.

Way to go Willie!

no it is the fact that our trades suck for example hodgson for crap kassian stupid trade hodgson is gonna be an all star in the next couple years and kassian will still be learning how to skate we need to trade luongo for a good consistent center to fill that third line center roll witch we lost by trading cody i think we should try and get mikhail grabovski he puts up decent numbers and is more of a two way forward with career stats like this GP319 G85 a116 p201 +3 pim221 pp23 sh 1 gw 12 shots 676 shooting % 12.6

and on a team that has not done to well last couple years

Archived