The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OMG, look at the price of food in Nunavut (pics incl'd.)

Is there some serious price gouging going on by the store owners? If not, I don't see a whole lot that can be done besides further subsidizing the food. I suppose relocation might help some of the people but I don't think that is a very good idea.

K, maybe it isn't bull, but it makes little sense. I understand the cost of shipping the goods up there, but the iregularity in prices is crap. Some prices are pretty close to what is charged in Vancouver area (the Kraft mozzarella) but the price of cabbage is bull. I mean, freight is charged by weight for the most part.

Is there some serious price gouging going on by the store owners? If not, I don't see a whole lot that can be done besides further subsidizing the food. I suppose relocation might help some of the people but I don't think that is a very good idea.

The cheese lasts longer than the cabbage.

Contrary to the myth, living in the North doesn’t guarantee high wages. Inuit living in the territories make far less than non-Aboriginals in the same region — about $43,378 less. Within Inuit Nunangat, the traditional Inuit homeland, non-Aboriginals made an average of $50,128 according to 2005 Statistics Canada numbers. For Inuit, it was only $16,669.

In all seriousness it comes down to eating what is local. If you can't grow cabbage locally don't spend 28 bucks a head. Eat off your land that what they did for thousands of years prior to the last century. If you don't like it, move. Live like your ancestors since you expect to be financially compensated for them.

Archived