The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OMG, look at the price of food in Nunavut (pics incl'd.)

In all seriousness it comes down to eating what is local. If you can't grow cabbage locally don't spend 28 bucks a head. Eat off your land that what they did for thousands of years prior to the last century. If you don't like it, move. Live like your ancestors since you expect to be financially compensated for them.

so what do you propose they grow in the permafrost? and how do you propose they afford a move, or why would you force them away from their family just because they want to have a more balanced diet that is better and healthier for them?

My sister lived up in Yellowknife for a year and has done a lot of work in Nunuvat (she's a geologist) it's all shipping costs. Also a lot of you are forgetting not only do they not have taxes up there they also get paid by the government to live up there as well. Another thing not put into the story is the cheap food, largely fish which is in abundance there. You can easily buy fish off the local fishermen for dirt cheap or just run outside and catch one yourself. It's not like it's a developed area to any extent that we're thinking.

A lot of our produce/etc is shipped from all over the world, and somehow manages to get sold for incredibly low prices.

I realize that Nunavut is hard to get to, and I know about warehousing, margin, bulk sales, etc. It should cost more, and likely quite a bit more. But $82 for a $5 case of Ginger Ale? That's far beyond what I would estimate as reasonable.

However, it does make sense that the largest markups are on the heaviest/bulkiest items (the pop and water are harder to transport than the bacon).

There are 160,000 Inuit in the world, their breeding practices are the least of concern.

These people are part of Canada for a reason, and unless Canadians in this thread would like to weaken Canada's arctic claims and give up natural resources by surrendering Nunavut to the natives, I kindly suggest revisiting one's opinion.

Archived