The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDCGML 2012-13

canuck2xtreme

http://www.nhl.com/i...vid=DL|NHL|home

Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Coyotes

There are 15 defensemen currently averaging at least 25 minutes of ice time per contest. Plus-minus is an antiquated measuring stick, but Ekman-Larsson and the guy below him on this list are tied for tops among those 15 guys with a plus-7 rating.

Ekman-Larsson has been on the ice for 26 Coyotes goals at even strength, which was the most of any player in the NHL at the end of the games Friday. Phoenix's offense was a surprise at the beginning of the season, especially after losing leading scorer Ray Whitney to free agency, but OEL's 17 points have played a big part. He was probably the most underrated defensemen in the League last season, but that shouldn't be the case any longer.

I don't profess to have all of the answers but it is clear in my mind that the Canucks will need to do a couple of things to have a chance to turn this season around.

Primarily, they need a change in coaching. That may not mean firing AV but it does mean a change in coaching philosophy from the top to the bottom. Unfortunately, I little faith that the staff can 're-adjust their sails', as it were, as they have not shown an ability to do that in the past. The lack of even being able to make subtle but efficient changes in the system, especially on the PP where it is most needed, is a huge warning flag to me that the coaches are floundering in their conception of the issues with this team

Secondly, the team lacks a motivational leader. Bieksa and Kesler are two of the heart and soul guys on his team, and not having them out there is hurting the rest of the confidence of the team for push back. However, that being said, their absence from the line-up shouldn't be a deciding factor on being able to compete for 60 minutes. The team needs to add more pieces of this ilk to the mix. Putting a championship team on the ice is alchemy in a sense and we are missing some ingredients.

Third, the GM must put up or shut up. This is his mess to fix and the ultimate responsibility starts at the top. Ballard, Booth and Luongo are almost $14 mil producing little on the scoresheet night in and night out. If MG can't do something in the next couple of weeks he'll get a failing grade for the year.

There are many ways to right this ship, all is not lost, and this is still a very talented roster. I'm not certain what the first domino to fall must be but, whatever that may be, it needs to happen yesterday. The proof is only in the pudding, as the expression goes.

The situation makes me think of one of my favourite quotes:

"It doesn't matter if a cat is black or white, so long as it catches mice." - Deng Xiaoping

I don't profess to have all of the answers but it is clear in my mind that the Canucks will need to do a couple of things to have a chance to turn this season around.

Primarily, they need a change in coaching. That may not mean firing AV but it does mean a change in coaching philosophy from the top to the bottom. Unfortunately, I little faith that the staff can 're-adjust their sails', as it were, as they have not shown an ability to do that in the past. The lack of even being able to make subtle but efficient changes in the system, especially on the PP where it is most needed, is a huge warning flag to me that the coaches are floundering in their conception of the issues with this team

Secondly, the team lacks a motivational leader. Bieksa and Kesler are two of the heart and soul guys on his team, and not having them out there is hurting the rest of the confidence of the team for push back. However, that being said, their absence from the line-up shouldn't be a deciding factor on being able to compete for 60 minutes. The team needs to add more pieces of this ilk to the mix. Putting a championship team on the ice is alchemy in a sense and we are missing some ingredients.

Third, the GM must put up or shut up. This is his mess to fix and the ultimate responsibility starts at the top. Ballard, Booth and Luongo are almost $14 mil producing little on the scoresheet night in and night out. If MG can't do something in the next couple of weeks he'll get a failing grade for the year.

There are many ways to right this ship, all is not lost, and this is still a very talented roster. I'm not certain what the first domino to fall must be but, whatever that may be, it needs to happen yesterday. The proof is only in the pudding, as the expression goes.

The situation makes me think of one of my favourite quotes:

"It doesn't matter if a cat is black or white, so long as it catches mice." - Deng Xiaoping

Rumour:

After solidifying their 2nd line centre spot going forward - the Quebec Nordiques have one more piece they would like to add before the trading deadline - and that is an upgrade on D.

Rumour has it they are willing to pair one of their 2nd pairing D, picks and another D for an upgrade on D.

I dunno if I would include Luongo in the list of non contributors that cost 14 million up above. He has only lost 2 games in regulation this year. One was an 8-0 game where detroit just skewered the team and for wwhatever reason Lu was left in...if Schneider was the starter for 3, 4 or 5 of those goals against Lu would have gone already in in relief for no other reason than to preserve Cory's mental state.

Even with that 8 goals against game Lu has a 2.19 GAA this year. The issue is a lack of 3 goals going in the oppoinents net.

Cory has lost five in regulation and has a 2.63 GAA...so why are even talking about where lu should be traded and why is the coach going down with his stupid decision to flip his backup with his starter and put the team into this controversial spot to begin with? Just saying the last time Cory let in just one goal was a month ago and in his last 8 games he has a 2.875 GAA, yikes.

So yeah, its just my opinion and it is subjective at best so i will stop here.

The only thing I disagree with is keeping Edler on the 1st PP. He should be on the 2nd and Garrison/Ballard should get a shot on the 1st. Hamhuis sucks on the PP too and should be right off of it.

Having Edler and Garrison together on the power play is just a waste. I agree that Ballard should get a shot there but let's be realistic, Av would never put him in a situation to succeed.

A PP QB is sorely lacking in the team and has been since Ehrhoff left. I'd love Gllis to try and get a guy like Rundblad out of Phoenix, he is a wiz on the PP and a great puckmover, defense is slowly getting better, RH shot as well, wonder what the price would be since he's struggled to find game action with their depth.

CONTRACT EXTENSION:

SIGNING: The Washington Capitals have signed F Kyle Turris to a four year deal.

Kyle Turris: 4 years, $ 14.0M contract ($3.5M per season) **With a full NTC starting for the 2014-15 season and for the remainder of the contract**

Didn't even notice Latendresse is back in tonight, I'll agree with Paul MacLean's sentiments "...if he can last the game that'd be great." :lol:

Activation:

Florida activates Guillaume Latendresse from the LTIR

Updated Forwards:

James Neal - Jonathan Toews - Chris Stewart

Brandon Saad - David Backes - David Perron

Guy Latendresse - Alex Burmistrov - Chris Neil

Matt Martin - Gregory Campbell - Colin McDonald

Eric Tangradi - Joe Vitale

Archived