The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumours/Reports] Official Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep it all here please)

We don't know whether Luongo will end up in Toronto or Florida. Florida has the cap space, a lot of young prospects and decent roster players like Kulikov, Kopecky, Ellerby, Huberdeau (doubtful) and Bjugstad (aslo doubtful). While Tallon is under no pressure to keep his job, Burke in Toronto HAS to make the playoffs to keep his. Reimer and Scrivens are'nt going to get it done. Lupul's name keeps coming up on the three hundred "insider" rumour tweets, but because Gillis doesn't like the idea of a dalary dump, there seems to be a stalemate.

So Gillis just sits back and waits. Sooner or later somebody is going to blink and when it happens, I think Tallon will win, but not without Burke makeing a last ditch effort by throwing in Gardiner. But, it will be too late.

I am enjoying how this is all playing out. Season doesn't start for thee months, so what's the hurry?

I wouldn't mind Theodore at all, would be the perfect veteran goaltender to backup Schneider. He can mentor Schneider, and about Lack being a possibility as a backup next year; I think he could use another season with the Wolves. There's no rush here for him to make the NHL as a backup yet, I'd rather him play 1 more full season with the Wolves then play 20 games in the NHL, he could work on some flaws he may have.

I wouldn't mind Theodore at all, would be the perfect veteran goaltender to backup Schneider. He can mentor Schneider, and about Lack being a possibility as a backup next year; I think he could use another season with the Wolves. There's no rush here for him to make the NHL as a backup yet, I'd rather him play 1 more full season with the Wolves then play 20 games in the NHL, he could work on some flaws he may have.

Without much movement recently in a potential Roberto Luongo trade, there’s been speculation the Canucks would insist Jose Theodore be part of the package if they consummate a trade with the Florida Panthers.

Theodore, on a one-year $1.5 million deal, is the type of veteran with experience as a starter the Canucks would love to back up Cory Schneider.

But Theodore has a no-trade clause, which lists 10 teams he can be dealt to without waiving it. The Canucks, ESPN reported, are not among the 10 teams on the list.

That doesn’t mean he won’t go to Vancouver. The Panthers could try and force his hand, by telling him if he refuses to waive it, he’d be No. 3 on their depth chart behind Luongo and Scott Clemmensen.

Theodore has worked with Vancouver goalie coach Rollie Melanson before, but there have been suggestions their relationship deteriorated over time in Montreal.

Earlier this year, in an interview with ingoalmag.com, Carey Price recalled a story where Melanson would tie a bungee cord to Theodore to force him to hold his glove up high.

Of course, Theodore is a different player than he was then. But he still doesn’t hold his glove high

Read more: http://www.theprovin...l#ixzz1zoaLDLvN

Haha I do! I was actually at a WHL game and during the 1st intermission when they were announcing the scores from games out of town (they did that because the rink didn't have a good enough score board to show them) the dude was like, "This is not a joke. Vancouver leads Montreal 6-0 at the end of the 1st period. Again, that's Vancouver leading Montreal 6-0 after the 1st period." The crowd was just shocked. All the Hab fans in the audience were crushed. It was awesome.

Really? I thought the lack of movement had more to do with Tallon not wanting to give up a marquis prospect?

There's also been speculation that Florida would want to move Theodore's salary as part of a deal, whether the Canucks "insist" upon this or not. One way or another, Theodore will likely be dealt if Luongo winds up in Florida - it wouldn't depend on the Canucks insisting that - nor is it very believable that this is what is holding up a deal.

Theodore coming this way is simply one of the most obvious possibilities, but what Canucks source would reveal that they insist this or would love to have him? I simply don't trust when Botchford speaks for the Canucks - he and Gallagher have estranged themselves to the point where it is extremely hard to imagine Canucks insiders feeding him/them updates about trade "movement" or who they are intending to pick up in a deal. The Canucks may "love" Lack and have no intention of acquiring another goaltender until he has had a shot. Botchford seems to be getting this from ESPN. When he says "there's been speculation", it becomes clear that this is not information from the Canucks, the team he is supposed to cover, the one in the city he is employed - evidently they are not extending an insider hand to him. I wonder why? Ironic to be situated in Vancouver and taking rumours from ESPN?

The Panthers wouldn't have to force Theodore's hand to come to Vancouver. They could deal him to another team if he didn't want to waive for Vancouver. There are a few teams looking for goaltending, and with 10 options, apparently there may be a possibility somewhere. Regardless, the threat of making him #3 is a non-starter - Florida is not going to want to keep an extra 1.5 million in salary on hand.

Wasn't Rollie Melanson brought here to work primarily with Luongo and help him to adjust his positioning - to play a little deeper in the crease, not so much on the rush, but when the opposition has possession in the Canucks zone? Who knows what his status would be if Luongo were moved, but regardless, speculating about using a bungy cord as an aid to keep Theodore's glove high doesn't tell much about this rumoured, speculated bad relationship. Is it implied that using a prop like that to aid a player to hold their glove high is somehow abusive? Is Melanson now the reason that the Canucks haven't dealt Luongo to Florida, because they want Theodore and Theodore won't come here because of Melanson?

I'd say this is some odd stuff, but it's the Province - what else should we expect?

Archived