The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumours/Reports] Official Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep it all here please)

I am all for Brian Campbell. He is the exact Ehrhoff factor the Sedins were missing this season so dearly. People tend to forget how well the Sedins thrived under a true puck moving defenseman that knew exactly how to jump into the play. It's like playing with 4 forwards out there at times.

This is EXACTLY what we were missing this year.

A 7.1 mill hit isn't too bad if you put it into perspective, guys. Would you rather have a backup Luongo at 5.3 and a Malholtra at 2.5 or a Campbell at 7.1, a guy who could jumpstart the Sedins back to 100 point seasons?

I wouldn't mind a Campbell deal or a Bjugstad/Petrovic deal - I'd take Campbell's cap hit over some of the jokes on the Leafs any day of the week.

How about a compromise and an even bigger blockbuster?

Luongo, Schroeder

Campbell, Bjugstad, Petrovic.

But really, I don't think Florida is going to want to move Campbell as much as people here may think - they need to keep some balance of veteran presence on their club...

They added Samuelsson and Sturm as an example, to help achieve that.

That's one way to look at it.

Another is that he was given, and signed, a deal that stipulated he would receive a no trade clause and be employed by Vancouver for the next 10-12 years. Both sides agreed to it. He's fully within his rights to choose not to go anywhere he damn well doesn't want to, even if you and I wish he would.

I'm almost in favour of trading Luongo for picks, then using them to trade for/offer sheet some RFAs. It looks bad for a team to trade for somebody then immediately trade them to somebody else. It doesn't look nearly as bad to do so with picks.

I wouldn't mind a Campbell deal or a Bjugstad/Petrovic deal - I'd take Campbell's cap hit over some of the jokes on the Leafs any day of the week.

How about a compromise and an even bigger blockbuster?

Luongo, Schroeder

Campbell, Bjugstad, Petrovic.

But really, I don't think Florida is going to want to move Campbell as much as people here may think - they need to keep some balance of veteran presence on their club...

They added Samuelsson and Sturm as an example, to help achieve that.

If this is true, I say, if a deal isn't logical for us, make him report next year. If he doesn't, suspend him without pay. Bring up Lack as a back up. Even if he does come back, Schneider is still our #1 and Lou sits on the bench. Humiliate him into opening up options. Let the fans speak. He will fold. He doesn't perform well under pressure. His arragance is part of what caused this, now deal with it.

If we can get Bjustad we are in a really good position moving forward with our center ice (Post Sedin)

Kesler(1a/1b Center)

Bjustad(2nd/3rd line center-Shutdown capabilities)

Gaunce(2nd/3rd line Power Forward Center)

Schroeder(1st/2nd line center-playmaker)

Friesen(Solid Energy 3/4th line center-game changing hitter)

Labate(Big as Bjustad-Projection is unclear)

That's not even counting future draft picks and ufa signings.

Exactly this if MG asked Luongo to be traded.

If Luongo asked to be traded during his exit meting with MG then it's unreasonable for him to only have one team on the list.

We really don't know for a fact what is going on.

I still say trade Schneider and keep Luongo.

Lu started this by saying he would be ok with a trade in the media. I believe MG was hoping to keep both. If he wants to play hardball then play hardball, he is under contract make him sit on the bench, If florida thinks they don't have to send anything of value for a top ten goalie then they will go without. If lou wants to limit the trade to one team giving that team complete leverage to offer nothing in return, enjoy the bench

Lu started this by saying he would be ok with a trade in the media. I believe MG was hoping to keep both. If he wants to play hardball then play hardball, he is under contract make him sit on the bench, If florida thinks they don't have to send anything of value for a top ten goalie then they will go without. If lou wants to limit the trade to one team giving that team complete leverage to offer nothing in return, enjoy the bench

I don't understand the reason why players go to the media with things like this.

Why not just keep him wanting to only go to Florida between himself and Canucks management, so that Gillis could use the threat of CHI or TO as leverage over FLA?

Archived