The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Wesley Myron Talk

Samk

How does that impact anything to do with us potentially signing Myron to a contract? His contract would start on July 1st if it was for the NHL, just like any of the current contracts we have in their final year would expire by then.

• 1 month later...

Tyson Giuriato @TysonGiuriato May 23

Teams have until June 1 to sign 2012 non-NCAA draft class. Wes Myron lone #Canucks prospect yet to be signed.

Soooo... odds he gets signed, zero or less than zero? Its unfortunate how things went for him with his injuries, but as a 6th rounder its not really a loss. Probably would've been better for him to stay in the NCAA.

Tyson Giuriato ‏@TysonGiuriato May 23

Teams have until June 1 to sign 2012 non-NCAA draft class. Wes Myron lone #Canucks prospect yet to be signed.

Soooo... odds he gets signed, zero or less than zero? Its unfortunate how things went for him with his injuries, but as a 6th rounder its not really a loss. Probably would've been better for him to stay in the NCAA.

Yeeep. Circumstances didn't help him.

He missed so much time as a 19 year old playing Jr. A that it was very difficult for him to swallow the 'freshman treatment' at BU.

That free university degree would have been a great fall back for an overaged 6th round pick.

Yeeep. Circumstances didn't help him.

He missed so much time as a 19 year old playing Jr. A that it was very difficult for him to swallow the 'freshman treatment' at BU.

That free university degree would have been a great fall back for an overaged 6th round pick.

Those 'free' degrees aren't always that free. A friend of mine who's a high school teacher told me a story a couple weeks back about past students he's had that have had to make a choice on whether or not to pursue college scholarships in the US. You'd think it'd be an easy decision, right? Free tuition for 4 years that'd otherwise be tens of thousands each year?

Well, the actual truth of it is if someone wanted to go to the US for a soccer/hockey/etc. scholarship, they have 4 years of eligibility covered by the university but are often required to take a 5th year to complete their degree. That 5th year isn't covered and is necessary because the university mandates a maximum course load leaving the student to make up courses on their own. That 5th year is part of the deal as well, so the student couldn't opt out after their university sports career is over.

I'd guess bigger programs like football and basketball might not have that requirement since they earn so much from other revenue, and a player could finish their degree with online studies, but otherwise that's a big ask for a student that likely isn't getting a big pro contract to help pay for that 5th year.

EDIT: as far as Myron, I could see him getting an AHL contract (he could still play for the ECHL affiliate too) but I doubt the Canucks sign him. I liked his play at the Young Stars tourney this past year as well, but he'll have to show more in the AHL before earning an NHL contract.

Those 'free' degrees aren't always that free. A friend of mine who's a high school teacher told me a story a couple weeks back about past students he's had that have had to make a choice on whether or not to pursue college scholarships in the US. You'd think it'd be an easy decision, right? Free tuition for 4 years that'd otherwise be tens of thousands each year?

Well, the actual truth of it is if someone wanted to go to the US for a soccer/hockey/etc. scholarship, they have 4 years of eligibility covered by the university but are often required to take a 5th year to complete their degree. That 5th year isn't covered and is necessary because the university mandates a maximum course load leaving the student to make up courses on their own. That 5th year is part of the deal as well, so the student couldn't opt out after their university sports career is over.

I'd guess bigger programs like football and basketball might not have that requirement since they earn so much from other revenue, and a player could finish their degree with online studies, but otherwise that's a big ask for a student that likely isn't getting a big pro contract to help pay for that 5th year.

EDIT: as far as Myron, I could see him getting an AHL contract (he could still play for the ECHL affiliate too) but I doubt the Canucks sign him. I liked his play at the Young Stars tourney this past year as well, but he'll have to show more in the AHL before earning an NHL contract.

Hey, even if they do have to pay for the 5th year (And we'll stay away from the debate over NCAA players making zero money, while producing exorbitant amounts for the institution) its still a heck of a lot better than the 50k I owe for my degrees.

But you're right, if the Canucks scouts want to see how Myron progresses, they can always have Utica or Kalamazoo sign him.

• 4 months later...

Archived