The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Let's face it. The Canucks don't have the assets or the management to make a bold move.

miles.p

Here is an example of uninformative you are. Gills straight up already said if anyone offer sheets Schnieder they will match no matter what. So we then trade a goalie who are both under contract which might generate better deals for Schnieder who is under a contract, which gives the other team security if they want to deal for him.

You know what? Dave Nonis performed highway robbery to get Luongo here in the first place. I would say Luongo is one of the top 10 Canucks to have the most positive impact on our team over the past 30 years. And in case of TML, I believe he could single handedly turn that team around, so if you were MG why would you just give that asset away to a competitor? He is worth alot to our team and any new team he plays for.

If Luongo does get traded, I personally hope Gillis makes a great deal with any team besides the Leafs, because I think Burke needs a reality check!

Right now the whole league knows that Canucks need to trade loungo otherwise Schneider walks. But the problem is loungos horrid contract. He's no longer elite, if he was we wouldn't trade him.

Look at penguins, they just got rid of Stall.

Again, the fans will have to watch mediocrity for next season.

Right now the whole league knows that Canucks need to trade loungo otherwise Schneider walks. But the problem is loungos horrid contract. He's no longer elite, if he was we wouldn't trade him.

really? he gets 11 likes for this? How did LA finish? I've been a Canucks fan my entire life and laugh when I hear statements like this. Back with the WCE when we got knocked out of the playoffs... "well we had 104 points so we had a good year"

2 presidents trophies in a row, cool. Out of the teams that have won it in consecutive years being Edmonton, Calgary, Detroit, and Vancouver we are the team that has choked the hardest. While Detroit didn't win the cup either of those years their 11 Stanley Cup's with 6 President's trophy far outweigh our meaningless 2 Presidents Trophy's with ZERO stanley cups!

Hurray for dominating during the regular season and choking when it counts. Unless something changes drastically in the next few years we will be known as one of the best teams in recent history that could never get it done when it counted most.

nah.

ask yourself this: Would you rather get the most for a return on Luongo, or settle for a "bold" move that is a little impulsive, get a top player in return but give up too much? What's your hurry? just cause you're bored...???

bold is trying to sign Mats Sundin to 20 million!... do you really want another bold move like that? (Although he played at top of his game in that Chicago series... so the 2nd year would probably have been ok)

You don't want to get what you are asking for...

or do you think a calculated one is better?

is the window open still?

I say yes, it is open until the Sedins stop producing at a point per game, or thereabouts. ie. they sink to 50-60 points. 70 + and the window is still open (roughly of course).

The way they play, it could be at least another 2-3 years, could be 5-6... look at Selanne... it could be another 8-10 years for all we know. they were late bloomers, so haven't gotten the crap kicked out of them (ie. the attention from top D) for the first half of their carrers so far... so maybe...) Maybe lots of mileage left!

They beat us in every aspect of the game. Their goaltending was better (not that ours was bad), their defence was much better, and even if they didn't have Brown their offence was better.

Perhaps if Danny played the whole series and Brown was out then we would have taken it to 6 but I still don't see us winning. All of the LA players consistently stepped up every game whereas Vancouver has never been able to figure out how to do that.

At the end of the day, excuses are excuses and we still got dominated by a much better team. Just goes to prove that regular season and President's Trophies mean absolutely nothing.

is the window open still?

I say yes, it is open until the Sedins stop producing at a point per game, or thereabouts. ie. they sink to 50-60 points. 70 + and the window is still open (roughly of course).

The way they play, it could be at least another 2-3 years, could be 5-6... look at Selanne... it could be another 8-10 years for all we know. they were late bloomers, so haven't gotten the crap kicked out of them (ie. the attention from top D) for the first half of their carrers so far... so maybe...) Maybe lots of mileage left!

Trading a solid starting goalie is a lot harder than trading a centre when you already have two of the best in the league in Crosby and Malkin.

Vancouver has built a solid goalie base as well as a solid defence. They have a good start at centre with H Sedin and Kesler but need a 3rd line centre because Hodgson forced MG's hand and was dealt. Drafting Gance is a step in the right direction but won't be available right away. Assuming that Schroeder can step up and be the guy on the 2nd line while Kesler heals and that Malhotra and Lapierre can both handle the 3rd and 4th lines, we are set at centre too but could use some depth at that position. We could use another centre with some size and skill but that is not pressing.

As far as Luongo's contract.....it's not a problem for Vancouver so why is it considered a problem for anyone else? $5.3M is a bargain for Luongo and some teams might welcome the chance to have a solid goalie locked up for the next few years.

I don't know which goalie is going to be traded but I 100% faith that MG will get a good return when he pulls the trigger on a trade. It might not happen as timely as some on CDC want but hey....they aren't running the team, MG is so just be patient.

As far as assets, how can you say that we don't have the assets when we have 2 Pres Trophies and have gone to the 7th game of the SC final? Duh? We have the assets but you only trade them away if it is going to make your team better.

Archived