Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Heads Up CDCer's

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 Midnight Express

Midnight Express

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:49 PM

Those so-called Microsoft Tech support people are at it again, some of you remember these people calling and saying your computer has a virus or some other problem. We have had 2 calls within a week. All these people want is to get remote access to your computer. Just hang up and not waste your time with these people.

#2 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:53 PM

ugh, they're so annoying. Heard them quite recently. They call sooooooooo much.

#3 Denguin

Denguin

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,743 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:57 PM

Just pretend to be stupid and go along with them, and then at the end of it, tell them you have a mac. It usually stumps them completely.

Pretty fun if you're bored... A little time consuming though.

#4 Bob Chen

Bob Chen

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:58 PM

I'd troll them so bad if they call :lol:
Sig too big.

#5 CanuckRow

CanuckRow

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,110 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:00 PM

I always troll them. They do it to rip old people off. Such bastards.

15yezck.jpg

@Chel24Seven

#6 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Homer Hall Of Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,298 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:02 PM

I play along and waste their time just like they're wasting mine. I play dumb...really dumb (do it with the Google ad guys at work too). They usually get frustrated after a few minutes and I increase in intensity as I go.

If you have a 3 year old, put them on the line and let them sort it out. :)

2421657-1-1-1-1-1.jpg

You can be livin the dream at home. Dont even need to put yer pants on.

-Offensive Threat

#7 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,677 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:18 PM

I actually got into it with one of these kind of guys. Said I would go along with him if I could call back on his personal line. During dinner, as I was in the middle of mine when called. The guy got extremely angry and started throwing my address/real last name around. Threatened to pay me a visit. But I gladly invited him over haha. Then he explained how he had been to prison... I explained back, that's why he had a crappy job and he should get his life straightened out. By the end of it I felt like I may have got through to him.

Edited by Special Ed, 25 June 2012 - 01:47 PM.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#8 Number1Pick

Number1Pick

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:19 PM

what are their phone #s? what area code?
I've been getting creepy calls with a women trying to sell me something but I had no idea what she was trying to say as it sounded like mmumble.mumbblemubble.giggles.rawr.

called couple times after I said don't call back, i spoke in a manner as if .. I was gonna hunt their company down

#9 Xbox

Xbox

Formerly Lups

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,936 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:35 PM

I play along and waste their time just like they're wasting mine. I play dumb...really dumb (do it with the Google ad guys at work too). They usually get frustrated after a few minutes and I increase in intensity as I go.

hahahaha lmao! I do the same thing. (To a smaller extent. I'm not that good at it)

On Topic:

I live in Ontario and I got a call about my "Microsoft PC having a virus". I told em I had a Mac and told them nice try.

CIBC and TD Canada emailed me before about my "account" closing so they asked me for my debit card number to save my account. The best part? I've never ever been associated with either bank

Edited by Henrik Sedin, 24 June 2012 - 11:25 PM.

2yo50sh.jpg

small.pngGM - STHS                                  Sig Cred to -Vintage Canuck-

#10 mau5trap

mau5trap

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:40 PM

That's a clutch move :lol:

Posted Image

#11 GoaltenderInterference

GoaltenderInterference

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,122 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:52 PM

I absolutely love wasting their time. I like to pretend I've followed all their instructions, or I'll play dumb.

Press the Panic Button! arrow.small.up.gif

Signature-canuckmunkey.jpg
Derek Boogaard, Rick Rypien, Wade Belak, Lokomotiv Jaroslavl, Steve Montador
Sig by .CM.

#12 goalie13

goalie13

Osgoodian One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,310 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:57 PM

CIBC and TD Canada emailed me before about my "account" closing so they asked me for my debit card number to save my account. The best part? I've never ever been associated with either bank

That one ranks right up there with the emails I have received pretending to be my ISP, claiming that I need to provide my username and password to keep my email account active.

What makes me mad is these calls aren't targeted at us, they are targeted at seniors who aren't quite so internet / computer savvy and may very well fall for this ploy. I wish there was a way to shut these bastards down.
Posted Image

#13 JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo

JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,742 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 11:14 PM

The first time they tried this on me was a year or two ago. After playing along for a while I got into it with the guy and his broken moral compass and eventually hung up on him. The next day they called again and I played along slipping in the odd swear word I learned from some friends in high school. When it got heated I ended up using them all in one very long sentence and he returned the favour in english. Apparently hindi is very similar to punjabi because he understood every word I said. That made one of us. Anyhoo, the moral of the story is I got a phone call every day or two for the next few weeks and there was nothing I could do to stop it as they use some kind of proxy that uses North American numbers. So be careful how far you take it.

Eventually they stopped but I did get a call just the other day. They are getting lazy though. This guy started out by saying there was something wrong with my windows machine. I just hang up now.

Edited by JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo, 24 June 2012 - 11:16 PM.

Posted Image

#14 KicKassian

KicKassian

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 11:16 PM

They got my Grandpa the other day....I really hope they call me!

#15 WeatherWise

WeatherWise

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,910 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 11:17 PM

You can have some real fun with them if you approach the situation carefully. This telephone scam is fairly simple to maneuver around, as they'll be asking you to open the Start Menu and allow them remote access. As long as you don't attempt anything of that sort, you can bluff your way through their instructions and waste their time.

The safest thing, however, would be to just hang up or place the phone next to a speaker and play some obnoxious music.

I've always dreamed of playing this during a call. I would just let it play for several minutes and check back afterward.

Edited by WeatherWise, 24 June 2012 - 11:20 PM.

The greatest segue into a weather segment.

#16 WeatherWise

WeatherWise

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,910 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 11:22 PM

Here's quite a humorous phone call involving a debit card scam. The video uploader, a middle-aged man from the UK, assumes the role of an old English lady and wastes the scammer's time. It's quite the entertaining exchange.

Edited by WeatherWise, 24 June 2012 - 11:25 PM.

The greatest segue into a weather segment.

#17 Xbox

Xbox

Formerly Lups

• Members
  • 8,936 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 11:27 PM

That one ranks right up there with the emails I have received pretending to be my ISP, claiming that I need to provide my username and password to keep my email account active.

What makes me mad is these calls aren't targeted at us, they are targeted at seniors who aren't quite so internet / computer savvy and may very well fall for this ploy. I wish there was a way to shut these bastards down.

Agreed 100%. Some seniors know what they are doing. My grandparents on my moms side are smart about that type of stuff. However my other grandmother is starting to have hip problems and she has a poor sense of when she is getting scammed. Its quite disgusting the way people exploit her. She lives by herself to so normally she is by herself

Edited by Henrik Sedin, 24 June 2012 - 11:28 PM.

2yo50sh.jpg

small.pngGM - STHS                                  Sig Cred to -Vintage Canuck-

#18 nucklehead

nucklehead

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,949 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 06:40 AM

I actually got into it with one of these kind of guys. Said I would go along with him if I could call back on hid personal line. During dinner, as I was in the middle of mine when called. The guy got extremely angry and started throwing my address/real last name around. Threatened to pay me a visit. But I gladly invited him over haha. Then he explained how he had been to prison... I explained back, that's why he had a crappy job and he should get his life straightened out. By the end of it I felt like I may have got through to him.

OMG I can't stop laughing. So when we don't see any post from you in a few days we'll know why aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhahahahahahahahahaOh man you kill me.

#19 JLumme

JLumme

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,106 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:57 AM

This is a great site if you hate scammers. http://www.419eater.com/

#20 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,170 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 01:21 PM

I just want someone to talk to...

#21 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,677 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 01:43 PM

OMG I can't stop laughing. So when we don't see any post from you in a few days we'll know why aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhahahahahahahahahaOh man you kill me.

Haha yeah it was funny. He actually didn't sound like a bad guy. I have a few friends who went to jail and they straightened out. At the end of it I felt we could have sat down for a drink actually. Maybe it was just me though lol.

On a side note I have only taken one of these kinds of phone calls seriously. It was a questionaire. But the girl on the other side sounded EXTREMELY cute. And we kind of hit it off. I even told her I'm only doing this because she sounds cute haha. I was soooooo close to asking to meet up with her. I was 100% certain she was a hottie after some conversation. Think I was already involved with someone at the time or maybe a little hesitant to pull the trigger. I wanted pics....

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.