The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What is your favourite ROCK song from the 1980s?

NewSedinTwin

::D Oh please... White Stripes (nor any of the one you listed) is anywhere near for example say:

Pink Floyd - The Wall, Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, Animals

Any Led Zepplin album...

Etc...etc...

Not one of those you list is a great collection of songs in one Album/CD - more like one hit wonders...(maybe 2 or 3 songs).

Back in our day, there would always be cool new hits and fads that would be the buzz of the school hallway and all that. I haven't been to high school lately, but based on media impressions, there just aren't any cool new tunes making any kind of big splash by any new artists lately.

As implied above, I'm out of touch with today's youths, but what big impressionable new songs are there? The last great standout as far as I know, as reminded by someone at work singing it the other day, is that Foster the People song, and that is over a year old.

Do we count Justin Bieber? It's a constant that teenage girls of every generation has bad taste in music, so I don't know if you really want to go there, but I can't say I even know a single song by him, and none of them seems to be catchy enough to leave an impression.

How about Katy Perry? She's all about "California Girls", and that's more than a couple of years old, isn't it?

I guess you really had to be there (back in the 80's) to know what I'm talking about and make a comparison. Either that, or I have to sneak into your school and spy on the kids nowadays.

Here is the top songs from the year 1985 according to billboard:

Careless Whisper, Wham!

2. Like a Virgin, Madonna

3. Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go, Wham!

4. I Want to Know What Love Is, Foreigner

5. I Feel for You, Chaka Khan

6. Out of Touch, Daryl Hall and John Oates

7. Everybody Wants to Rule the World, Tears For Fears

8. Money for Nothing, Dire Straits

9. Crazy for You, Madonna

10. Take On Me, A-H

(Maybe don't click the individual song links I'm not entirely sure where they go)

01 SOMEONE LIKE YOU - ADELE 1,242,000

02 MOVES LIKE JAGGER - MAROON 5 FT CHRISTINA AGUILERA 1,043,000

03 PARTY ROCK ANTHEM - LMFAO FT LAUREN BENNETT AND GOONROCK 995,000

04 PRICE TAG - JESSIE J FT BOB 981,000

05 WE FOUND LOVE - RIHANNA FT CALVIN HARRIS 902,000

06 GIVE ME EVERYTHING - PITBULL FT NE-YO, AFROJACK AND NAYER 866,000

07 GRENADE - BRUNO MARS 852,000

08 THE A TEAM - ED SHEERAN 801,000

09 ROLLING IN THE DEEP - ADELE 798,000

10 ON THE FLOOR - JENNIFER LOPEZ FT PITBULL 784,000

Sorry for the terrible formatting.

While I was admittedly not around for 1985, I can say I have heard of 5 of those songs in the 10- 10, and I would really only say that 2 would count as "serious music", (Dire Straights and Tears For Fears.) Whereas out of 2011, I would say that both Adele songs would count as "serious music."

While both of these lists are a somewhat random smattering of music, and I chose the ear 1985 at random, my point is that in both decades the radio and popular music in general were filled with mostly formulated radio friendly pop fare, with a few songs by more serious artists sneaking in every so often. In the following years since the 80's, the decade gets romanticized and more serious artists are remembered, and the made-for-radio stuff gets forgotten, (or maybe not as this thread has shown.) This goes for all decades, and pretty much all time periods throughout the history of music. In 20 years, people probably won't still be listening to LMFAO, but barring a dramatic and unprecedented shift in societal listening habits, people will still be listening to bands such as Radiohead, Arcade Fire, and Modest Mouse.

Here is the top songs from the year 1985 according to billboard:

Careless Whisper, Wham!

2. Like a Virgin, Madonna

3. Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go, Wham!

4. I Want to Know What Love Is, Foreigner

5. I Feel for You, Chaka Khan

6. Out of Touch, Daryl Hall and John Oates

7. Everybody Wants to Rule the World, Tears For Fears

8. Money for Nothing, Dire Straits

9. Crazy for You, Madonna

10. Take On Me, A-H

(Maybe don't click the individual song links I'm not entirely sure where they go)

01 SOMEONE LIKE YOU - ADELE 1,242,000

02 MOVES LIKE JAGGER - MAROON 5 FT CHRISTINA AGUILERA 1,043,000

03 PARTY ROCK ANTHEM - LMFAO FT LAUREN BENNETT AND GOONROCK 995,000

04 PRICE TAG - JESSIE J FT BOB 981,000

05 WE FOUND LOVE - RIHANNA FT CALVIN HARRIS 902,000

06 GIVE ME EVERYTHING - PITBULL FT NE-YO, AFROJACK AND NAYER 866,000

07 GRENADE - BRUNO MARS 852,000

08 THE A TEAM - ED SHEERAN 801,000

09 ROLLING IN THE DEEP - ADELE 798,000

10 ON THE FLOOR - JENNIFER LOPEZ FT PITBULL 784,000

Sorry for the terrible formatting.

While I was admittedly not around for 1985, I can say I have heard of 5 of those songs in the 10- 10, and I would really only say that 2 would count as "serious music", (Dire Straights and Tears For Fears.) Whereas out of 2011, I would say that both Adele songs would count as "serious music."

Just curious, but I wonder how many people who decry the current state of music were tuned into the more serious music of previous eras back when it was being made. For example I was, and still am, a fan of the older Metallica, Iron Maiden and AC/DC stuff, but was totally blind to anything SRV did when it was coming out. Both have aged well, but there is no argument that any of the former are better musicians SRV was. The better musician part is also true for most of the bands you would find on an 80's, 90's or current top ten list.

In that sense, I think that what has to be realised is that the people who are driving the top ten lists and radio playlists are generally tweens/teens. At that age there is generally a different expectation and appreciation of music. Of course, that does continue to an extent as people age. I still spend a fair amount of time listening to the "fun" music as opposed to the technically accomplished music, but my listnening pleasure has shifted. So yeah, I still like to throw in some Operation Ivy, NoFX or Pennywise, but now I'm just as likely to pull out some SRV, Muddy Waters or "Birth of the Cool."

The fact that you, who hasn't even been around that time, know of five of those songs some 27 years later is remarkable. As for what you call "serious music", I guess that's a matter of personal taste. If I had to pick two songs, I would have chosen differently.

Madonna's song "Like a Virgin", if not a good sounding song in your opinion, is at the very least iconic. It was Madonna's big breakthrough hit that made her a huge cultural icon to this very day, and has influenced many other popular artists since. (Can you say 'Gaga'?)

And what would get a girl out of her pants better than a classic romantic ballad like "Careless Whisper"...at least until George Michael's sexual orientation and bathroom practices became public knowledge.

I'll give credit where it's due and acknowledge that there are good talented contemporary musical artists out there. I'll even add that some of their songs are pleasant to listen to. However, very little seems to really stand out and make a big impression anymore. That may have to do with the fact that recording has become cheap, with just about anyone with a PC and some basic audio equipment can record a track and umpteen billion others recording similar material, as well as the "heard it before" factor. There's no credit to be had for reinventing the wheel.

Archived