The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo not going anywhere

It's going to be tough to see Lou go and it is only a matter of time. What really bugs me is the way the city (fans and media) have just chucked him aside for Schnieder. I get why people want to see Schneids be the guy here given his age and potential, but remember what made the Canucks from a team struggling to make the playoffs each season to a team that is in the thick of things for the Stanely Cup. Continually each year Bobby-luo is among the stat leaders for goalies and whoever ends up with him will be very lucky.

Luongo's endeared himself to me.

It's not his fault that we have a GM who couldn't see an issue like this coming, from miles, and miles away. The fact is that Schneider should have been traded 2 or 3 years ago, not long after we had made the monster commitment to Luongo.

The fact that trading one of the better goalies in the league, who will provide stability to a franchise for the next decade, has resorted to little more than a cap dump, should tell you all that you need to know about how Gillis has handled this.

Gillis, now, has a very high asking price for Luongo, which he should, but he's not going to find someone that's willing to pay it! We're going to lose this deal, when it happens, very badly, just like we very badly lost the Ballard deal, and like we very badly lost the Booth deal (if it's not blatantly obvious to everyone just yet, it will over the next couple of years).

Mike Gillis should be EMBARRASSED at how this has played out.

MG is standing his ground (as he should) which means he'll be asking a randsom for Luongo (as he should). Something like what Howsen is asking for Nash - 2 roster players and 2 solid prospects, but the Canucks want to win NOW so I'd expect something more like 3 solid roster players.

He's probably asking for a top-6 forward, a 3rd line center and a depth defenceman, maybe throw in a pick as well. I'm guessing before Garrison was signed he was asking Toronto for a couple of their great big defencemen and a center as well but Burke wouldn't budge.

MG needs to stand his ground on this one and not cheapen up his offer, because Luongo can still help this team win a Cup. I'm not sold on Schneider who is yet to play a full season as it is let alone have any playoff success, and when he struggles next season (as he will, mark my words) Luongo will be there to save the team that hasn't abandoned him the way the fans have.

MG is standing his ground (as he should) which means he'll be asking a randsom for Luongo (as he should). Something like what Howsen is asking for Nash - 2 roster players and 2 solid prospects, but the Canucks want to win NOW so I'd expect something more like 3 solid roster players.

He's probably asking for a top-6 forward, a 3rd line center and a depth defenceman, maybe throw in a pick as well. I'm guessing before Garrison was signed he was asking Toronto for a couple of their great big defencemen and a center as well but Burke wouldn't budge.

MG needs to stand his ground on this one and not cheapen up his offer, because Luongo can still help this team win a Cup. I'm not sold on Schneider who is yet to play a full season as it is let alone have any playoff success, and when he struggles next season (as he will, mark my words) Luongo will be there to save the team that hasn't abandoned him the way the fans have.

You've been saying the same thing for how long now? When I have time I should pull up some old posts of yours regarding this. I'm pretty sure you've predicted luongo being gone several times already. But he's still here and now your here venting frustration. ;)

Hey smurf47 I edited my post on the first page to include you. Since I remember you as one of the posters calling Lu's trade since forever. What are u going to say if Lu's on the team start of the season?

There is absolutely, positively NO way we keep Luongo. And if the fact that carrying over 10m in goalies alone isn't enough reason, then you only need to look at what will happen if we did. Schneider takes over the #1 spot and you have an elite goalie being paid 5 and a half million to sit on the bench most nights? Imagine the media and fans reaction to that? It would be an enormous distraction we don't need.

Furthermore, that 4.5m cap space (assuming we get a backup for 1m) is a significant amount that could be spent on an impact player. Combine that with the 5+ million we have in space right now and you could (in theory) afford to get a massive star to play with the Sedins.

It's not his fault that we have a GM who couldn't see an issue like this coming, from miles, and miles away. The fact is that Schneider should have been traded 2 or 3 years ago, not long after we had made the monster commitment to Luongo.

The fact that trading one of the better goalies in the league, who will provide stability to a franchise for the next decade, has resorted to little more than a cap dump, should tell you all that you need to know about how Gillis has handled this.

Gillis, now, has a very high asking price for Luongo, which he should, but he's not going to find someone that's willing to pay it! We're going to lose this deal, when it happens, very badly, just like we very badly lost the Ballard deal, and like we very badly lost the Booth deal (if it's not blatantly obvious to everyone just yet, it will over the next couple of years).

There is absolutely, positively NO way we keep Luongo. And if the fact that carrying over 10m in goalies alone isn't enough reason, then you only need to look at what will happen if we did. Schneider takes over the #1 spot and you have an elite goalie being paid 5 and a half million to sit on the bench most nights? Imagine the media and fans reaction to that? It would be an enormous distraction we don't need.

Furthermore, that 4.5m cap space (assuming we get a backup for 1m) is a significant amount that could be spent on an impact player. Combine that with the 5+ million we have in space right now and you could (in theory) afford to get a massive star to play with the Sedins.

How do I get on the list, I would have thought he would and should be gone by now and I have said the the same thing over and over, c'mon sign me up.

I'm a little concerned that MG is trying to get a little too much for Lou. It will be a large distraction if Lou stays on the team when the season starts and it will do nothing to help his value because the fans will tear him up if he plays another game here. We don't know the story and I hope it comes out later but he was willing to trade Cody for a 4th line player but Lou who everyone knows we have to trade is under a bad contract and has shown that he is consistently inconsistent he is wanting the farm for.

The meltdown came from Luongo??? With no Daniel Sedin, the coach not anticipating the loss of it's highest scorer, most of the Canucks not really doing anything but getting pushed around in the LA series and Luongo had a meltdown????

2 shutouts in the SCF while the Sedins, Kesler, Burrows going missing, losing out top defencemen and Luongo had a meltdown????

Vancouver once again has become a goalie graveyard.

You've been saying the same thing for how long now? When I have time I should pull up some old posts of yours regarding this. I'm pretty sure you've predicted luongo being gone several times already. But he's still here and now your here venting frustration. ;)

Hey smurf47 I edited my post on the first page to include you. Since I remember you as one of the posters calling Lu's trade since forever. What are u going to say if Lu's on the team start of the season?

Archived