The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

PK's Bodyweight Workout Regimen

Patrick Kane

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

lost almost 30 Ibs over the last 5 months !

In January of this year i weighed 210 !

and right now , I am really Happy to be weighing 184 Ibs !

First 3 months of this year I did p90x program and wow I lost 20 Ibs off it , then after that, started going to the gym and going for runs in the morning. I feel soo healthy now, Even ask PK of my before and After Pics , he knows :)

lost almost 30 Ibs over the last 5 months !

In January of this year i weighed 210 !

and right now , I am really Happy to be weighing 184 Ibs !

First 3 months of this year I did p90x program and wow I lost 20 Ibs off it , then after that, started going to the gym and going for runs in the morning. I feel soo healthy now, Even ask PK of my before and After Pics , he knows :)

Its like dynamic stretching. The roller massages and puts pressure on your soft tissue as you move you body part along the roller.

The idea is that it releases the myofacial tissue. The tight less flexible connective tissue "skin" that connects your tendons etc to muscle and keep your muscle intact.

You will see myofacial tissue on beef and its usually referred to as "silver skin". Its the thin shiny tough tissue you may see on your steaks. Not to be confused with gristle.

The theory is that myofacial tissue (mft) connects your whole body from head to toe.

This tissue like any other tissue can be damaged and scar. This damage and scarring causes it to become inflexible. The inflexibility lead to your muscles not being able to have full range of motion which means you body part does not have full range of motion.

Injuries happen when your movement force exceeds the range of motion which can further damage the mft.

The idea is that using rollers etc "stretches" and releases the tightness of the mft. This i theory should increase the range of motion and in turn reduce the chance of injury.

The rollers can be had cheap and they are worthwhile.

You can also use them for other exercises like off balance lifts to help work your stabilizing muscles.

Well, I guess this doesn't apply to me then.

Obviously everyone is different. But I am rarely sore. Like tonight for example, cranked out a boat load of chest and bicep exercises and I don't feel sore at all but just to the point of fatigue where I couldn't lift as many reps or as heavy had my muscles been fully recovered. I have been feeling it in my legs lately however since incorporating sprints after weights a few times a week.

Its like dynamic stretching. The roller massages and puts pressure on your soft tissue as you move you body part along the roller.

The idea is that it releases the myofacial tissue. The tight less flexible connective tissue "skin" that connects your tendons etc to muscle and keep your muscle intact.

You will see myofacial tissue on beef and its usually referred to as "silver skin". Its the thin shiny tough tissue you may see on your steaks. Not to be confused with gristle.

The theory is that myofacial tissue (mft) connects your whole body from head to toe.

This tissue like any other tissue can be damaged and scar. This damage and scarring causes it to become inflexible. The inflexibility lead to your muscles not being able to have full range of motion which means you body part does not have full range of motion.

Injuries happen when your movement force exceeds the range of motion which can further damage the mft.

The idea is that using rollers etc "stretches" and releases the tightness of the mft. This i theory should increase the range of motion and in turn reduce the chance of injury.

The rollers can be had cheap and they are worthwhile.

You can also use them for other exercises like off balance lifts to help work your stabilizing muscles.

Anyone have any good routines for the traps? Here's mine, and I'm barely seeing any progress

Front Barbell Shrugs 8-12 reps

Back Barbell Shrugs 8-12 reps

Band Trap Row 10-15 reps

Barbell Upright Row 8-12 reps

Dumbbell Shrugs 8-12 reps

All in 3 sets

I usually do this after Shoulders,Core, or Chest, and my traps are super tiny (even after focusing on them for rehabilitation exercises)

Can anyone help me figure out how to make my routine more effective?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I've gained 14 pounds since the beginning of Sept :) Up to 164. I use to have so much trouble getting out of the 148-153 range, until I started eating proper foods (lot's of potatoes & perogies). I also incorporated Serious Mass weight gainer & Gold Standand Whey Protein into my diet, I'll probably stop using Serious Mass (after I run out) now that I gained weight, and just stick to the protein.

But it is possible for those skeptics in that weight range :) I didn't even hit the gym much, but working 12 hours a day in Northern Alberta really did the trick.

I'm trying out Steve Cook's 12-week workout program on bodybuilding.com slightly modified for my home gym. Does anyone follow workout programs on BB?

• 2 weeks later...

Nice thread, i havent been to the gym in over a year. I want to burn fat while gaining mass and i really like this body weight exercise plan as a kickstart before i start going to the gym fully.

Im assuming you incorporate the p90x ab ripper with the 3 day plan, or do u recommend on the off days?

Nice thorough description and good videos! Id plus one ya if i wasnt on my phone.

Im currently 5'9" and 215, im pretty stocky though, i want to lose at least 40 lbs.

Hey guys,

Well, after sitting infront of my desk studying/gaming for an entire semester, I've gained a noticeable amount of weight and I'm going to start working out after this semester ends, any ideas on workouts that burn fat? I'll be able to go to the UBC gym right after class 3 days a week, so I was wondering what kind of exercises I should be doing in there. Or how much cardio and when I should be doing it.

I'm not looking to build muscle at the moment, I'm just trying to burn fat and lose weight although toning up my body and losing fat simultaneously would definitely be a plus. Any ideas would be great! Thanks!

Oh and just a quick (extremely noob) question, does lifting weights and doing exercises (like push-ups/ab crunches) actually burn fat, or do they only build muscle? What's the difference between low and high reps for exercises and how much should I be doing to reach my objective.

And finally, what do you guys do to force yourselves to constantly workout (motivation)?

Thanks again.

if you're looking to lose weight, i'd more focus on reducing your stress and examining your caloric intake (eating/drinking habits)

alcohol = carbs = sugar = calories.

doing some cardio 3-5 times a week would be good. gym cardio (treadmill, bike, elliptical) seems to result in more weight loss than swimming. read that it's because your body temp is lowered after swimming so you're hungry afterwards as opposed to the opposite with non-water cardio. *shrug*

on a cautionary note: i'd be hesitant to start up with weights and exercises targeting specific muscle groups if you have any pre-existing body/back pain. physio may have to break down existing muscle threads, realign you and then let you rebuild muscle again.

having a workout buddy (perhaps even a girl) helps with the motivation.

if you're looking to lose weight, i'd more focus on reducing your stress and examining your caloric intake (eating/drinking habits)

alcohol = carbs = sugar = calories.

doing some cardio 3-5 times a week would be good. gym cardio (treadmill, bike, elliptical) seems to result in more weight loss than swimming. read that it's because your body temp is lowered after swimming so you're hungry afterwards as opposed to the opposite with non-water cardio. *shrug*

on a cautionary note: i'd be hesitant to start up with weights and exercises targeting specific muscle groups if you have any pre-existing body/back pain. physio may have to break down existing muscle threads, realign you and then let you rebuild muscle again.

having a workout buddy (perhaps even a girl) helps with the motivation.

Archived