Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Pacu, Testicle-Eating Fish Species, Caught In Lake Lou Yaeger In Illinois

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 мцт вяздк чф

мцт вяздк чф

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:09 AM

http://www.huffingto..._n_1656015.html

watch out for the "BALL CUTTER"

When biologists say the pacu fish eats nuts, they may be correct in more ways than one.

The pacu, a toothy fish that can weigh up to 55 pounds, has been spotted in Lake Lou Yaeger in Illinois, KSDK reports.

Responding to a report that a fisherman had reeled in a piranha on June 7, lake superintendent Jim Caldwell brought the fish to the Illinois Department of Natural Resources, where it was identified as a pacu. Some reports say another pacu was seen a couple of weeks later.

Caldwell said he is still swimming in the lake nearly every day. Pacus primarily eat nuts, aquatic vegetation and snails, he told KDSK, and pose no real threat to humans.

Residents of Papua New Guinea may beg to differ. There, according to British fisherman Jeremy Wade, the pacu is known as the "ball cutter." In 2011, Wade said locals informed him that two fisherman had died from blood loss after something in the water had bitten off their testicles, according to the Metro.

"The locals told me that this thing was like a human in the water, biting at the testicles of fishermen," Wade said.

Wade determined that the perpetrator was the pacu, which is known for having human-like teeth. The angler did note that such attacks are uncommon, the Daily Mail reports.

Though pacus are native to the Amazon Basin, they were released into Papua New Guinea waters in the 1990s as part of an initiative to boost fisheries.

Biologists say any pacus in the Illinois lake are most likely former aquarium pets, according to the Journal-News.Anyone caught dumping the fish in the lake could face criminal charges.

KIM JONG UN'S FAVORITE HOCKEY TEAM ARE THE KELOWNA ROCKETS.

JOHN SHORTHOUSE'S VOICE REMINDS ME OF KERMIT THE FROG.

#2 Spitfire_Spiky

Spitfire_Spiky

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:31 AM

Stupid people releasing tropical fish in a lake. Obviously they don't belong there and hopefully they won't wreck the Eco-system in the lake.
Mess with the Best, Die like the Rest

#3 Gz

Gz

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:15 AM

Oh balls, this is a testy situation.

totally agree although i wouldnt have minded jvr in a 3 way.

Context, people, context.

#4 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,126 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:16 AM

That's nuts!

Too easy?

Edited by D-Money, 10 July 2012 - 09:18 AM.

Posted Image

#5 JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo

JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,629 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:30 AM

Jeremy Wade is an idiot.
Posted Image

#6 Canucksbiggestfan

Canucksbiggestfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:43 AM

This sounds like that movie Piranha 3D.

Edited by Canucksbiggestfan, 10 July 2012 - 10:44 AM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:56 AM

People twist stories so much...

Pacu's are vegetarians and eat nuts that fall from trees into the water, so unless the guy was sticking his sack in the water, the pacu probably didn't attack the human.

This species will not harm other species in the lake... In fact it'll probably die during the fall.
Sig too big.
"Being a Canuck fan, maybe sometime down the road be a Vancouver Canuck.... that would conquer all my dreams"
-Milan Lucic

#8 Tanev's Smirk

Tanev's Smirk

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:33 PM

Posted Image

#9 Hobble

Hobble

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,674 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:38 PM

Fisherman were probably just getting a little frisky with a mermaid and things got out of flipper...

Edited by Hobble, 10 July 2012 - 02:38 PM.

#10 nucklehead

nucklehead

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,491 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:09 PM

They are big fish, there's one in a pet store near us. Everytime I go there I swear he recognizes me as he comes over to me and moves his mouth up and down as if he's talking. Sometimes I make up words for him.
biggerabacus_zps5cae10b6.jpg

I got kicked out of the slut walk for trying to bid on the participants.

-BananaMash

#11 DarthNinja

DarthNinja

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,781 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:30 PM

Posted Image

**RETIRED...**

"Have not those who disbelieve known that the heavens & the earth were joined together as one united piece, then We (Allah) parted them? And We have made from water every living thing. Will they not then believe?" (Qur'an 21:30)

11477626583_2368927097.jpg     49997_b70e6ae14ce1652fa11bd1dda624afd1.g   7649118508_ce3e8a74a1_o.jpg

"Some even believe we are part of a secret cabal working against the best interests of the United States, characterizing my family and me as 'internationalists' and of conspiring with others around the world to build a more integrated global political and economic structure--one world, if you will. If that's the charge, I stand guilty, and I am proud of it.” (David Rockefeller)

#12 Mainly Mattias

Mainly Mattias

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,481 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:42 AM

Posted Image

For those who have 2 sets of equipment.. but only want to protect 1. lol
“Your journey has molded you for your greater good, and it was exactly what it needed to be. Don't think you've lost time. There is no short-cutting to life. It took each and every situation you have encountered to bring you to the now. And now is right on time.” ― Asha Tyson

#13 Offensive Threat

Offensive Threat

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,667 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 12:18 PM

So if you think Pacu fish might be around you maybe shouldnt go out wading in the water nude?

Posted Image

#14 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,996 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:55 PM

That species is in a sack of trouble

#15 DarthNinja

DarthNinja

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,781 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:23 PM

That species is in a sack of trouble

Just wait until they dangle some bait attached to their poles...

**RETIRED...**

"Have not those who disbelieve known that the heavens & the earth were joined together as one united piece, then We (Allah) parted them? And We have made from water every living thing. Will they not then believe?" (Qur'an 21:30)

11477626583_2368927097.jpg     49997_b70e6ae14ce1652fa11bd1dda624afd1.g   7649118508_ce3e8a74a1_o.jpg

"Some even believe we are part of a secret cabal working against the best interests of the United States, characterizing my family and me as 'internationalists' and of conspiring with others around the world to build a more integrated global political and economic structure--one world, if you will. If that's the charge, I stand guilty, and I am proud of it.” (David Rockefeller)

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.