The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Update] Doan Gets Contract Offers From 3 Teams, Canucks Offer

I'm actually beginning to feel that while the Coyotes will stay in Phx, that Doan will make a move to go to a cup contendor.

I won't blame him and will cheer him when he comes back for the jersey retirement ceremony... Though if the team leaves, will they retire his jersey in Quebec City???

For all those wondering "How the heck can we possibly sign Doan with only $3.5 million in cap space?!", well it's really simple actually...

• Firstly, a team does not have to be under the cap until the start of the regular season, so if Doan signs for over 3.5 which he will, the Canucks will have till September basically to shed some cap which is more than enough time.

• Furthermore, with the much anticipated Luongo trade which he wants done himself (said he wants to move on), that will surely give us relief and it alone can make room for us to get under the cap.

• Lastly, let's say Doan signs, Luongo isn't traded and MG hasn't found a way to shed cap, we would still be fine as Kesler will start the year off on the LTIR which means his cap WILL NOT count against the cap. He's expected to be out rehabbing for 2-3 months from the start of the season and it gives even more additional time to get under the cap; basically until November-December to get under the cap. ...knowing the Canucks, someone else is sure enough to get 'injured long term' as well so when Kesler comes back, we will still be under the cap as someone else's cap will not count...look at each season since MG has been GM of our team, it's happened each year and when it seems as if we're screwed cap wise, 'long term injuries' occur allowing us to essentially keep a team that's actually over the cap, so don't be surprised if this happens this time around too if Doan signs. My bets on this to happen if Lu doesn't get traded - injuries will keep us under the cap.

...there you go folks :)

San Jose is a bad option - top loaded team, going nowhere, would have to spend the rest of their cap space on Doan and nothing left to fill the holes in their lineup. Thornton's not getting any better, not growing any character. If San Jose were wise, they'd rebuild on the run before they catch up with Anaheim.

Los Angeles - it's in Los Angeles. I really hope Doan doesn't go there. There is no there there.

Vancouver - the only option of course. And everyone here really really wants you (no pressure). It's too bad Calgary sucks so so badly and Edmonton is so young... That really just leaves Vancouver. The only real option of course. (Winnipeg? not so bad...), but Vancouver, every reason in hockey to come to Vancouver. Can you imagine what you could do playing with the Sedins?

If Gillis can land Doan and pry even the most loyal of players from their team then he's back in my good books. All we really need then is maybe a depth defenceman or two at the trade deadline for a big-time push, and we'll have plenty of forwards to dangle as trade bait.

If Doan's coming in, I hate to say it but gritty wingers like Hansen, Burrows, Higgins and Booth suddenly become very expendable.

If Gillis can land Doan and pry even the most loyal of players from their team then he's back in my good books. All we really need then is maybe a depth defenceman or two at the trade deadline for a big-time push, and we'll have plenty of forwards to dangle as trade bait.

If Doan's coming in, I hate to say it but gritty wingers like Hansen, Burrows, Higgins and Booth suddenly become very expendable.

See, I know it's a business and all.. But didn't Garrison say he took a discount/came here because of Raymond? (Well he was a big reason..)

Can't just trade him right away, Garrison would be pissed. At least show Garrison how much Raymond sucks before trading him..

I heard on team 1040 that canucks for now can offer doan 3 mil per year till Lu's trade.thats not happening anytime soon and so therefore he won't sign here am sure Kings and Sharks can offer him more then a 3 mil per year contract.He extended signing till July 16 so coyotes are apparently very much in it as well.

I heard on team 1040 that canucks for now can offer doan 3 mil per year till Lu's trade.thats not happening anytime soon and so therefore he won't sign here am sure Kings and Sharks can offer him more then a 3 mil per year contract.He extended signing till July 16 so coyotes are apparently very much in it as well.

Archived