Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * - - 1 votes

Grading the offseason so far

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
65 replies to this topic

#1 Lui's Knob

Lui's Knob

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 12:01 AM

Can't say im more confident in the team going into this season as I was 2 years ago when they ended up making the final... Underwhelming free agent signing period and nothing on lui... I give it a C grade so far

#2 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,978 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 12:09 AM

Draft: C
Gaunce was a great pick, but nothing else seemed to that good.

Signings and Resignings: C+
Glad we got Garrison, sad we lost Salo (but what could we do there)
Not too happy we haven't done anything else though.
Posted Image

#3 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,362 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 12:18 AM

Draft: C+

Gaunce was a great pick, and I liked some of the others, the 2nd was questionable, I liked the Beattie pick, the Hutton pick and some of the other later picks too.

Signings/Re-signings: C

Garrison was an excellent signing which is the only reason this is still in the C range, the rest was a disappointment, and if we don't get Doan (asuming he becomes leave the Yotes) then our offseason will have been a complete dud.

Edit: C is average, to me it was just an average offseason, the draft was slightly above average which is why I gave a C+ but there were still some questionable picks. And while the Garrison signing was a slam dunk to get him at that cap hit, the rest of the moves (or lack there of) were questionable.

I think C is fair.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 11 July 2012 - 12:54 PM.

zackass.png

#4 Gunner Garrison

Gunner Garrison

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 12:25 AM

Gaunce was a great pick, and I liked some of the others, the 2nd was questionable, I liked the Beattie pick, the Hutton pick and some of the other later picks too.

Signings/Re-signings: C-

Garrison was an excellent signing which is the only reason this is still in the C range, the rest was a disappointment, and if we don't get Doan (asuming he becomes leave the Yotes) then our offseason will have been a complete dud.

Those are pretty low grades... I'd give a B- for the draft and a B- for the offseason (to date)

Just because we didn't sign 2 big named players, doesn't mean the Canucks deserve a C-

meh..

Edited by Cory Schneids, 11 July 2012 - 12:26 AM.

#5 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,362 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 12:30 AM

Those are pretty low grades... I'd give a B- for the draft and a B- for the offseason (to date)

Just because we didn't sign 2 big named players, doesn't mean the Canucks deserve a C-

meh..

I could understand giving a B- for the draft but no now the free agency deserves that.

I just remember feeling huge disapointment throughout the day, I knew we were gunna get the big fish and that's not why I gave them a C-.

Garrison was excellent but we have done nothing else when we have needs that can be filled through FA not to mention re-signing Raymond.

There's still time but up to date that's what I would give them.

Edit: Changed the offseason to a C

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 11 July 2012 - 12:37 AM.

zackass.png

#6 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,326 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 12:31 AM

MG really doesn't have to do much, the less he does the better.

Didn't mess with our forward group that was one of the best in the league, well done.
Upgraded quality on defence. Swapping Salo for Garrison is a huge win for us, we get a more physical, stronger and bigger shot.
Losing defensive depth in Rome and replacing him with Muller and Joslin is a small loss, but MG can still fix that.
Not tampering with our great goalie tandem is a win so far, I am one of the few who think we should keep Luongo and Schneider because neither can play well over 60 games and the playoffs combined - we need them both.

B- offseason so far. All MG has to do is sign a 3rd line center or some proper defensive depth and we'll have had a perfect offseason. Not much needs to be done now, wait till the trade deadline when we can sus out what we really need and act then.
Posted Image

#7 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 12:32 AM

:picard:

it only 11 days into the offseason for free agency.........

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

WIN THE CUP FOR SALO CAMPAIGN

#8 dura_mater

dura_mater

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 12:51 AM

I don't really understand why people are grading the draft and offseason so low. Who would you have taken at the draft instead? Half of you probably can't even answer this. Was it a matter of who we drafted or our draft position, because if it's the later, not a whole lot can be done about this.

As for the offseason, what do you expect, Suter, Parise? There weren't a whole lot of quality names out there (that we could afford) and we have very limited cap room. We needed a replacement/upgrade on Salo and after that there isn't much cap room available. So knock Suter/Parise out, for cap reasons, and who else would you really have wanted us to go for? Schultz decided not to sign here and for all we know Doan might stay in Phoenix.
"BoKnows53"
My stinky team isn't on top of the Standings anymore Waah waaahh, fire everyone because I say so

- New Era Canucks Fans

#9 2009cupchamps

2009cupchamps

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 12:58 AM

We won the presidents trophy with Raymond, Booth, Kesler, Malholtra all having sub par years. I suspect Raymond , Booth and Malholtra all come back stronger and better with a full off season to train. Everyone of those players including Kesler wasn't able to train last offseason. Kesler won't be able again this year, but the other 3 will. The Sedins had a step back in point wise and should rebound nicely. On defence Edler and Bieksa had off years, expect improvents there. The Canucks will be a very motivated team this year. If we happen to get Doan then it will be a awesome year.  As for the grading.

The draft: drafting at 26th overall what do people expect, Taylor Hall type player. Where we drafted I will give them a B+ ( I may change my mind in 5 years, once I see how they actually turned out and the other picks after ours turned out)

July 1st: Getting Garrison was a huge bonus considering Salo walked and Rome being let go (which I believe MG did to force AV to play Ballard more). Loosing Schultz was a downer for long term and depth for the organization, but he would have helped us very little this year. As for Doan he may stay in Phoenix which would make it a non issue. If he leaves then I hope we get him, yet still early. So I will give them a C+

Trades: Luongo situation has to be resolved, I really do not think bring him back into the locker room would be wise. There is still lots of time before the season starts to get it done. So a C

Management: re hiring AV I believe was the safe choice, time will tell if it was the right one. Everything that any player said this year about the Canucks organization, they mention class. So for that its a B+

Total grade: B

Edited by 2009cupchamps, 11 July 2012 - 01:01 AM.

#10 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:07 AM

Overall

C+ if Garrison is as tough as they tell us

If not D because we have let Salo and Rome go and signed two AHLers. and someone who does not address our problems.

I'm not inspired so far. If our prospects had had one more year under their belts and we had done this I would have said fine lets see what they can do but other than Schroeder (I also have a liking for Freisen) and maybe Jensen though I doubt he is ready we have no realistic cover in Chicago imo
Kevin.jpg

#11 ButterBean

ButterBean

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:16 AM

Draft:B

Not really a draft guru but Gaunce seems like a great pick, Mallet was questionable, but who knows, some of these over-agers might do well, only time will tell.

Offseason:B

Garrison is definitely a great addition to our top 4 and he improves us offensively and defensively. Letting go of Salo was the right decision. Glad to see Pinizzotto and Volpatti re-signed to keep the 4th line positions competitive. Don`t like the Raymond re-signing.

#12 drewman54

drewman54

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:16 AM

I would have to say I will wait to grade Gillis untill June of next year.
Posted Image

#13 dura_mater

dura_mater

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:21 AM

I would have to say I will wait to grade Gillis untill June of next year.

This team SHOULD be good enough to win the cup as is. Additions always help, however, when they play their best there is no reason they shouldn't be able to make it back to the SCF and hoist Lord Stanely.
"BoKnows53"
My stinky team isn't on top of the Standings anymore Waah waaahh, fire everyone because I say so

- New Era Canucks Fans

#14 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,253 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:24 AM

I'll grade the off season when training camp starts and all the signing and moves have been made.
Posted Image

#15 needtogetswole

needtogetswole

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 02:11 AM

I'll grade the off season when training camp starts and all the signing and moves have been made.

#16 needtogetswole

needtogetswole

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 02:12 AM

Signings/Re-signings: C

You don't have to pick up parise's and the suters for the offseason to be successful it's what makes our team better - again I would rather have 2 solid 4 mill each players then one guy that could get injured or anything could happen ? off year? anything..

balance to a hockey team is everything

all offense no defense - no cup.
all defense no offense - no cup.

needs to be all balanced and that happens when players take paycuts and we don't spend 8-9 mill on one guy.

#17 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,951 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:01 AM

Yawn.

No guts,no glory.

#18 YaK

YaK

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,910 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:17 AM

Not to jump on you and others who are getting impatient (even I am waiting for something to happen) but grading the offseason "so far" is ridiculous. It won't be known how the offseason moves or lack of moves are going to pay off until at least training camp. This is especially true this offseason with major changes via trade known to be ahead. There are still decent free agents out there as well.

The one thing I think everyone regrets, at least sentimentally, is the loss of Sami Salo. The Jason Garrison pick-up looks to offset the skillset if nothing else. We will have to wait and see if our D-core stays the way it is or if there are more signings to come.
Posted Image
"It felt almost like it was a dream," Burrows said of his game-winner.
"But guys jumped on me and I couldn't breathe, so I knew it was right."

#19 Darren_Y

Darren_Y

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:24 AM

Well outside of top 5 ranked players it's hit or miss only time will tell.

as for offseason signings, I would give a 'C+' for the Garrison signing imo @ 4.6M would of been a great signing... if he was more proven, hard to base from one year and not like he is a young player either ... but hey he could prove me wrong and do great this year.

as for not using up all the cap. I don't mind, because with a new CBA coming up, having cap space availability might be a good thing, and teams stuck near the ceiling with long contracts might end up in a regretfull possition.

#20 HockeyHobo73

HockeyHobo73

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:51 AM

Draft = C

Free Agency = B- (Grade moves to an A- once we sign Doan, and A+ once we trade Luongo and get a decently fair return for him)
(Grade moves to a C if we get ripped off for Luongo)

Suspense = A+

Entertainment Value = F

Edited by HockeyHobo73, 11 July 2012 - 03:52 AM.

#21 Soren5556

Soren5556

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:58 AM

So far I'd have to say:

Draft: B

Gaunce looks like a good pick but so far that's all. Can't really tell how he will be down the road but the same goes for the other picks.

Off season: C

Until we find out where luongo is going and what we get back and if we get another forward signing there is still too much undecided. Luckily there is a lot of free agency left so there is still time.

#22 sedated

sedated

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,728 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:14 AM

Our prospect pool blows. Like.. really badly. And it sucked even with Hodgson around.

But this off-season is an F. Salo was one of our best defensemen last year and preivous years, and it was like night and day when he was out of the lineup last year. It's a bigger loss than people seem to give it credit for. Yeah, Garrison is younger than Salo, but he's unproven and only hado ne season.. if he doesn't pan out to be as good as Salo, then.. that's a huge loss. We also lost Rome, who, like him or hate him, was a good 6-7th D. Now we'll have some AHL guys filling up random holes back there.

And.. seriously. If we don't sign some forwards, that's a total fail. People say "We kept the good offensive core together woo!" Do people forget just how piss poor this offense performs in the playoffs? I mean, the Seidn's being extremely mediocre against any team with half decent defense is one thing, but we have no second line. Kesler did good ONE series.. we get no offense. We were like one of the lowest scoring team going into the finals that year, and Boston laughed us out. Any off nights their defense or Thomas had in the previous series, they popped in 3-5 goals. We were lucky to get 1, let alone 2.

We aren't going anywhere with our offense, I figured people would be clear to that fact after the last few years and us not being able to score, even as far back as 06 when we played Anaheim and Dallas. Our offense blows. We have no second line offense. Our depth sucks.

#23 keslerian one

keslerian one

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:26 AM

There isn't that much to fix. We went into the offseason looking for top4 D and top 6 forward. We got our top 4 D. We lost Salo but he was in the bottom pair by the end of the season/playoffs anyways. Offseason is far from over, and Im hoping we get out top 6 forward soon. Luongo needs to go too. I say a solid B.

#24 CanuckCup1316

CanuckCup1316

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:20 AM

D-. Untill the Goalie situation is dealt with and the depth is properly addressed. If we go in to next season with status quo you would have to say we are worse off than the 2 previous seasons. Having both goalies on paper is great but both not being happy and waiting for the distraction to end is a cancer. With our division getting much better for next season we have to get much better. Gsrrison is a step in the right direction but we lost Salo which will be the same amount of points probably. Losing Grags makes an already shaky trade look stupid. Plus keep in mind we will go about half the season without Kes. How , on paper , can anyone think we are equal or better team than the previuos 2 seasons?

#25 Ray_Cathode

Ray_Cathode

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,814 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:10 AM

It is much too early to grade the off-season.

Signing Garrison was a very big plus, more for his defensive play than his offence - though he might be a huge beneficiary of a season full of Sedinery. The loss of Salo's steady influence and his right-hand shot hurts - but you have to have turnover to make room for young guys - can Tanev improve significantly? I believe he can, but we are stuck with a left-shooting defender playing the right side - Ehrhoff did that well, we'll see if any of our current defenders are as capable.

Moving Luongo may be a case of addition by subtraction, I am yet to be convinced that we will yield much back in return.

I am concerned that we have not addressed the fact that we need a number 2/3 centre - kind of like the unnamed guy we traded away for a guy that can't yet make our team. Kesler, apparently, will miss a significant part of the coming season - and we have done nothing to address that need, but there is lots of time, and time may put more pressure on someone looking for a goalie and having a larder full of young assets - like Florida.

Too much time yet to really pass judgement on the off-season.

I guess our draft has to be evaluated relative to where we picked and how many slots we gave away for no return. Gaunce looks okay, but the rest are suspect. We really have not drafted very well under MG - do we have any significant player that he drafted that is still on our team, or that has yielded a player of any significance for our team - can't think of a single one. Not good.

#26 The-Impersonator

The-Impersonator

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,738 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:51 AM

Re-Signing Raymond: F

#27 B_a_M

B_a_M

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:52 AM

Draft I would give a C

Gaunce was an awesome pick but every other pick seem to be a reach.

Free Agency again C

Garrison is a good signing but once again he is coming off of a great season the odds of him scoring 16 goals again is unlikely. So he could easily be labelled as a bust signing and he could look like a great signing only time will tell.

#28 Edlerberry

Edlerberry

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:05 AM

:picard:

it only 11 days into the offseason for free agency.........

and who else is left to sign?

I'd say Garrison was pretty much a forgone conclusion before FA started, so I dont even really count that as a win especially with Salo walking. We have two starting goalies signed, which I actually dont mind that depth given the salary cap increase, and our top 6 D with Tanev/Ballard rounding it out looks pretty good now. We're really in need of a top-6 winger, and there aren't many of those left yet.

I hope the Luo trade can go through to Toronto and not Florida, and I hope we get JVR back. I know they just traded for him, but he would slot in fantastically on the 2nd line.

Up until now, I would give the FA a C.

The Draft is hard to tell so far, but I like Gaunce and I think we did pretty good on the other picks too given who was available. Obviously how can you really say how the draft went until a few years have past, but for now it looks like we get a B.
July 7-2013

Toronto will take a step back next year.
Feel free to quote me.

July 8-2013

Wow I can't believe peoples replies...
Im done here. You people are disgusting..

#29 DooBie604

DooBie604

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:38 AM

Some of the comments on here are a joke. It looks like unless we somehow steal the 1st overall pick at pick 26 and then we sign all the free agents at a discount, people will be somewhat satisfied.

We have a good team and just need some tweaks to put us over the top. Salo had to leave. There is no way I would pay him that amount of money when you don't even know if he can play the next two years. Garrison is an excellent replacement and he has had TWO great years, not one. The year previous he was put in a shutdown role and did that well, then last year he was placed in a more offensive role and did great as well. He took a discount to be here and still some of you are not satisfied.

You don't just make a trade for the sake of trading. And I bet even if we did sign more people the same people would complain that we overpaid.

Everyone wants every roster spot filled with free agent signings yet everyone complains we don't give our young guys a chance to play. Geez.

#30 It's Bieksa's Fault

It's Bieksa's Fault

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:48 AM

Draft [C+]: Gaunce is a very safe pick; he has the skillset for the NHL, but he won't be a top six player. The others are meh, but time will tell and MG wanted overagers so that they could develop a year sooner and fill in our aging players.

Free Agency [B]: The big names were Parise, Suter, Doan and Garrison. We got one, two were completely out of our control, the other may or may not sign here. When you look and see that we lost Salo and only got Garrison (and fringe players and Raymond), it looks like a fail, but when you see the otherwise crappy FA pool and the high offer to Salo, we did a lot better than most teams.

Trades [I]: Incomplete due to none happening. Will become an F if one goaltender isn't moved by the season's start, and will improve if we deal one of them.

Edited by It's Bieksa's Fault, 11 July 2012 - 09:49 AM.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.