The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Grading the offseason so far

Lui's Knob

Draft: C+

Gaunce was a great pick, and I liked some of the others, the 2nd was questionable, I liked the Beattie pick, the Hutton pick and some of the other later picks too.

Signings/Re-signings: C

Garrison was an excellent signing which is the only reason this is still in the C range, the rest was a disappointment, and if we don't get Doan (asuming he becomes leave the Yotes) then our offseason will have been a complete dud.

Edit: C is average, to me it was just an average offseason, the draft was slightly above average which is why I gave a C+ but there were still some questionable picks. And while the Garrison signing was a slam dunk to get him at that cap hit, the rest of the moves (or lack there of) were questionable.

I think C is fair.

Gaunce was a great pick, and I liked some of the others, the 2nd was questionable, I liked the Beattie pick, the Hutton pick and some of the other later picks too.

Signings/Re-signings: C-

Garrison was an excellent signing which is the only reason this is still in the C range, the rest was a disappointment, and if we don't get Doan (asuming he becomes leave the Yotes) then our offseason will have been a complete dud.

MG really doesn't have to do much, the less he does the better.

Didn't mess with our forward group that was one of the best in the league, well done.

Upgraded quality on defence. Swapping Salo for Garrison is a huge win for us, we get a more physical, stronger and bigger shot.

Losing defensive depth in Rome and replacing him with Muller and Joslin is a small loss, but MG can still fix that.

Not tampering with our great goalie tandem is a win so far, I am one of the few who think we should keep Luongo and Schneider because neither can play well over 60 games and the playoffs combined - we need them both.

B- offseason so far. All MG has to do is sign a 3rd line center or some proper defensive depth and we'll have had a perfect offseason. Not much needs to be done now, wait till the trade deadline when we can sus out what we really need and act then.

I don't really understand why people are grading the draft and offseason so low. Who would you have taken at the draft instead? Half of you probably can't even answer this. Was it a matter of who we drafted or our draft position, because if it's the later, not a whole lot can be done about this.

As for the offseason, what do you expect, Suter, Parise? There weren't a whole lot of quality names out there (that we could afford) and we have very limited cap room. We needed a replacement/upgrade on Salo and after that there isn't much cap room available. So knock Suter/Parise out, for cap reasons, and who else would you really have wanted us to go for? Schultz decided not to sign here and for all we know Doan might stay in Phoenix.

We won the presidents trophy with Raymond, Booth, Kesler, Malholtra all having sub par years. I suspect Raymond , Booth and Malholtra all come back stronger and better with a full off season to train. Everyone of those players including Kesler wasn't able to train last offseason. Kesler won't be able again this year, but the other 3 will. The Sedins had a step back in point wise and should rebound nicely. On defence Edler and Bieksa had off years, expect improvents there. The Canucks will be a very motivated team this year. If we happen to get Doan then it will be a awesome year.  As for the grading.

The draft: drafting at 26th overall what do people expect, Taylor Hall type player. Where we drafted I will give them a B+ ( I may change my mind in 5 years, once I see how they actually turned out and the other picks after ours turned out)

July 1st: Getting Garrison was a huge bonus considering Salo walked and Rome being let go (which I believe MG did to force AV to play Ballard more). Loosing Schultz was a downer for long term and depth for the organization, but he would have helped us very little this year. As for Doan he may stay in Phoenix which would make it a non issue. If he leaves then I hope we get him, yet still early. So I will give them a C+

Trades: Luongo situation has to be resolved, I really do not think bring him back into the locker room would be wise. There is still lots of time before the season starts to get it done. So a C

Management: re hiring AV I believe was the safe choice, time will tell if it was the right one. Everything that any player said this year about the Canucks organization, they mention class. So for that its a B+

Total grade: B

Overall

C+ if Garrison is as tough as they tell us

If not D because we have let Salo and Rome go and signed two AHLers. and someone who does not address our problems.

I'm not inspired so far. If our prospects had had one more year under their belts and we had done this I would have said fine lets see what they can do but other than Schroeder (I also have a liking for Freisen) and maybe Jensen though I doubt he is ready we have no realistic cover in Chicago imo

Draft:B

Not really a draft guru but Gaunce seems like a great pick, Mallet was questionable, but who knows, some of these over-agers might do well, only time will tell.

Offseason:B

Garrison is definitely a great addition to our top 4 and he improves us offensively and defensively. Letting go of Salo was the right decision. Glad to see Pinizzotto and Volpatti re-signed to keep the 4th line positions competitive. Don`t like the Raymond re-signing.

Signings/Re-signings: C

Not to jump on you and others who are getting impatient (even I am waiting for something to happen) but grading the offseason "so far" is ridiculous. It won't be known how the offseason moves or lack of moves are going to pay off until at least training camp. This is especially true this offseason with major changes via trade known to be ahead. There are still decent free agents out there as well.

The one thing I think everyone regrets, at least sentimentally, is the loss of Sami Salo. The Jason Garrison pick-up looks to offset the skillset if nothing else. We will have to wait and see if our D-core stays the way it is or if there are more signings to come.

Well outside of top 5 ranked players it's hit or miss only time will tell.

as for offseason signings, I would give a 'C+' for the Garrison signing imo @ 4.6M would of been a great signing... if he was more proven, hard to base from one year and not like he is a young player either ... but hey he could prove me wrong and do great this year.

as for not using up all the cap. I don't mind, because with a new CBA coming up, having cap space availability might be a good thing, and teams stuck near the ceiling with long contracts might end up in a regretfull possition.

Archived