The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Big name players never signing with the Canucks

Schneider.Man604

Ok but it would be good to get one or two over the course of 3 seasons, would it not?

The time when we should have gone after a couple of these players was after our Stanley Cup Final. Great teams improve when they are at the top.

We screwed up. We needed some good big pushback players and did nothing.

Sadly we don't look like SC contenders now...........we are not built for it imo.

Ok but it would be good to get one or two over the course of 3 seasons, would it not?

The time when we should have gone after a couple of these players was after our Stanley Cup Final. Great teams improve when they are at the top.

We screwed up. We needed some good big pushback players and did nothing.

Sadly we don't look like SC contenders now...........we are not built for it imo.

(quote edited for brevity)

You really think players would hate playing with them? I'd bet most would rather play with them than against them.

As for the general idea that "big name" players will never sign here, I think people forget some already have. Luongo. Kesler. I'd even add Bieksa (who put up only 5 fewer points than Weber in the same number of games last season) and Edler (who put up the same number of points as Weber last season with only 4 additional games). And Schneider is well on his way to becoming a "big name." Even without haven been an official starter he caused a major buzz with just the remote possibility that he might become available.

And let's not forget Hank and Daniel.They may have become "big names" while playing here and they've shown no indication they want to go anywhere else, but if they did most teams in the league would be frantically tossing over the couch cushions looking for every spare penny of cap space to try to get one of both of them.

The problem is that people seem to want "big name" players they don't already have like some people want designer labels. Just having name recognition doesn't necessarily mean you get a better product, only a more impressive label. The same is true of hockey players. Just because someone is a "big name" doesn't necessarily mean they'll fit in better or contribute significantly more than any other player. Burrows is a perfect example. He still might not be thought of as a "big name" but how many players put up his numbers, play with the amount of heart he does, does whatever his team needs him to do, and only gets $2 million a year?

If we build a team of players who want to be here, who want to play for our team and with our existing players and not just "big names" who want to get the most money they can from anyone anywhere willing to overpay them, I'm good with that.

Our teams garbage in the playoffs no scoring defense disapears why not have a prooven sniper or one of the best defenceman out there we had two fhances in my opinion to get 2 really good defenceman in suter and webber and probably didnt even offer anything because gillis thinks our team will do fine the way it is just like last year...

The reason is that big name players want to sign for exciting teams. Face it, Vancouver isn't really that exciting of a team.

Our captains are incredibly mature, which can be cool, but for a young superstar they are likely looking to have a little fun where they are.

Our coach is probably one of the must impersonal coaches in the league.

Our GM doesn't really take the risks like exciting contenders will. He likes to stick with the status quo.

We have a couple very embarrassing players like Lapierre and kesler.

Gillis needs to build an EXCITING team and do away with this Detroit model. It used to work, but it's a dying model in this era of hockey.

The only thing Vancouver has going for it is mountains and trees. Hockey players are not old farts who want to spend their off days looking at the view. They are young party animals who want an entourage and party it up like there's no tomorrow. Big cities such as New York and Philly are massive cities and a party animals dream. Also in big cities there are more young hot chicks and as young males we want to bang everything that moves. Hockey players are so rich that they CAN bang everything that moves.

But regardless, that's just my take on why big name UFA's don't sign in Vancouver.

The only thing Vancouver has going for it is mountains and trees. Hockey players are not old farts who want to spend their off days looking at the view. They are young party animals who want an entourage and party it up like there's no tomorrow. Big cities such as New York and Philly are massive cities and a party animals dream. Also in big cities there are more young hot chicks and as young males we want to bang everything that moves. Hockey players are so rich that they CAN bang everything that moves.

But regardless, that's just my take on why big name UFA's don't sign in Vancouver.

Not an exciting team? I am not a Canucks fan but Canucks - Bruins series was one the most exciting SCF. The team I watched during that run was VERY exciting. And since when a player like Kesler has become embarrassing? I would love to have such an "embarrassing" player on my favorite team any day.

Hey, it certainly doesn't hurt I'll tell you that much.

I highly doubt Richards, Carter, Doughty or Kane would have signed long term contracts in a city like Nashville. Minimal parties, and a lot of retired country singers. Why do you think Carter was so pissed about going to Columbus? I'll tell ya why! Smaller city which means less parties which means less hot chicks to bang. I'm telling ya pal, I've figured it out.

Maybe players can also see the way the league treats Vancouver. Maybe they don't like the coach. Maybe they don't like the travel Van has to do. Maybe they think the management is weak. Maybe they are afraid of the fans, although sometimes its pretty quiet during games. The management still not retiring Bure's 10 one of the greatest palyers to ever play the game, might turn a UFA off.

Archived