The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why is Mike Gillis Demanding Nick Bjugstad From the Florida Panthers?

Sharpshooter

Folks, I've been friggin hard for B-Juggs ever since I found out Luuu may end up back in Florida. And... if it's true MayRay was in a trade proposal for BJ, we wouldn't worry about where he'd fit. Ready for the season or not, let's be honest, where does he fit?

I've said all along, if we can get Shane Doan, get a grade A prospect like B-Juggs from Florida. Heeeeeere we go!!!

Btw, Doan on CKNW..... noooow!

Cheers, GO CANUCKS GO!!!!!!!!

:towel:

Didn't you read the article?

The reason why the Canucks wouldn't really want Bjugstad is because he's not going to help them NOW, which is what this team should care about solely. If a Cup isn't won in the next year, MAYBE two, get ready for a decade of misery. May as well go balls out when we have two of the best offensive players in the NHL.

In light of the Shane Doan interview played on CKNW just now....a great point was raised by Pratt about the bargaining power that MG would have if he signs Doan first and then tries to trade Lui to FLA.

Basically, he'd be in the weaker position, and wouldn't be able to get as much value as he wants. That, I think would severely affect any hope of getting a return like Bjugstad.

However, that depends on the caphit of Doan, but still if the caphit is sufficient then we can't afford to keep both, or could we?

I wonder if we signed Doan for even $7m hypothetically, could we fit that and Lui's contract by moving other pieces and therefore negate any trade advantage that Dave Tallon would have over Gillis if he then wanted to trade Lui to FLA for Bjugstad.

Just thinking out loud here, i suppose.

In light of the Shane Doan interview played on CKNW just now....a great point was raised by Pratt about the bargaining power that MG would have if he signs Doan first and then tries to trade Lui to FLA.

Basically, he'd be in the weaker position, and wouldn't be able to get as much value as he wants. That, I think would severely affect any hope of getting a return like Bjugstad.

However, that depends on the caphit of Doan, but still if the caphit is sufficient then we can't afford to keep both, or could we?

I wonder if we signed Doan for even $7m hypothetically, could we fit that and Lui's contract by moving other pieces and therefore negate any trade advantage that Dave Tallon would have over Gillis if he then wanted to trade Lui to FLA for Bjugstad.

Just thinking out loud here, i suppose.

Well, Florida's initial proposal was Matthias + a 1st rounder in 2013 according to many insiders. According to them, if Canucks don't get Doan, they'll make a big push for Versteeg. If the Canucks do get Doan though, they will try to improve Florida's offer by adding Bjugstad. Florida is already heavy in centre depth, so IMO Tallon would be OK to part with him. But I see Tallon also ask for maybe a high pick or Schroeder.

Whether the Canucks have the shallowest prospect pool or not, adding big, talented young players to the mix makes the most sense - if Doan does sign here, I could care less about getting a roster player in a deal, and Florida's prospects are far more interesting than their veterans anyway.

But really, what are the sources of these rumours.? Who leaked that MG told is demanding NBjugstad? What GM updates media regarding ongoing negotiations? Tallon told someone he offered Matthias and a 1st? Just as likely these are armchairs as they are GMs. I think these rumours are getting closer to what makes sense (at least the Komisarek talk is a thing of the past), but I take the accountabitlity with a grain of salt.

At OP: he's being compared (reasonably) to Ryan Getzlaf with the size and lugging skating style, but I see him more as a Jeff Carter, which could really benefit the team going forward.

I wouldn't want that, I think we overpay.  Sure, both those guys have upside but who trades a starting goalie, a 3rd line winger with 2nd line potential, another scoring prospect and a pick for a 3rd line checking center (granted with upside still) and another blue chip prospect?  

If anything I would hold to the team's demands of young roster player and pick or decent prospect.  Glad to see MG holding to his leverage of having the starter that other teams need; just because the other GM's don't talk about it (holding their cards tight to their chest) it doesn't mean guys like Burke or Tallon don't want to get the upgrade; I hope MG could make Dale fold and include Nick in the deal.

Archived