Posted Image

#32 The Wizard of AZ

The Wizard of AZ

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:56 AM

Bump. But I didn't want to start a new thread.

I just finished reading a couple books you might find interesting.

One was "Breakaway: From behind the iron curtain to the NHL". Really interesting look at how some players defected to the west and how they coped with living. Some interesting insights into the Green Five(Krutov, Larionov, Makarov, Fetisov and Kasatonov) as well as the Stastny's and Petr Klima/Nedved defections as young teenagers..

Another one I'm almost done reading is "King of Russia: A year in the Russian Super league". It's about Dave King's experiences as the first North American coach to in Russia. About how different their training is and some of the players. Talks a lot about Malkin's last year in Russia and post-lockout players like Datsyuk and Kovalchuck. Pretty easy read in Journal Format.

Gonna start reading The Rebel League: The Short and Unruly Life of the World Hockey Association next.

Edited by The Wizard of AZ, 12 November 2012 - 11:57 AM.

Posted Image

#33 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,703 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:51 PM

Enders Game ( I've read thhis about 4 times)

Haven't read any of the other Enders books, but I heard they were making a movie.
Not sure how I feel about it, but the book was great.

#34 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,017 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:48 PM

Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep? by Philip K Dick...will blow...your...mind.

The movie Blade Runner was based on this book.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#35 DarthNinja

DarthNinja

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,717 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:55 PM

Confessions of an Economic Hitman by John Perkins:

Posted Image

The Shock Doctrine by Naomi Klein:

Posted Image

"Have not those who disbelieve known that the heavens & the earth were joined together as one united piece, then We (Allah) parted them? And We have made from water every living thing. Will they not then believe?" (Qur'an 21:30)

rsz_theylive.jpg 11477626583_2368927097.jpg  7649118508_ce3e8a74a1_o.jpg

"Some even believe we are part of a secret cabal working against the best interests of the United States, characterizing my family and me as 'internationalists' and of conspiring with others around the world to build a more integrated global political and economic structure--one world, if you will. If that's the charge, I stand guilty, and I am proud of it.” (David Rockefeller)

#36 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 25,399 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:05 PM

Some good recommendations in this thread that I'll definitely have to check out.

Tennis fans should check out both of Serena Williams's books as well as Rafael Nadal's.

And for non sports, has anyone read the Fifty Shades trilogy? I just finished them (read them on iBooks) and they were really good. I've never read "adult romance" novels before but really enjoyed these.
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#37 theminister

theminister

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,119 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:26 PM

For a classic, The Count of Monte Cristo.

Pretty much every adventure movie you've ever seen was based off of this storyline. This book is eternal.

small.pngNEW YORK ISLANDERS ROSTER - CDC GM LEAGUEsmall.png

2013 CDCGML CUP CHAMPIONS

#38 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,294 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:38 PM

For a classic, The Count of Monte Cristo.

Pretty much every adventure movie you've ever seen was based off of this storyline. This book is eternal.

Pretty sure every adventure movie or book (including Monte Cristo) stems from those old time Greeks who pretty much nailed down all narrative and plot structure, a billion years before the novel was ever formed

Edited by GLASSJAW, 12 November 2012 - 03:41 PM.

rsz_mad_men.jpg

le temps restitué

#39 theminister

theminister

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,119 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:44 PM

Pretty sure every adventure movie or book (including Monte Cristo) stems from those old time Greeks who pretty much nailed down all narrative structure, a billion years before the novel was ever formed

Way to overanalyze and be completely wrong at the same time.

I was recommending an incredible book. Try reading it and you'll know what I mean.

#40 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,294 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:52 PM

uh huh

rsz_mad_men.jpg

le temps restitué

#41 flapjacks

flapjacks

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:03 PM

Into the Wild

Anybody have recommendations for books like Into The Wild? I've been meaning to read again during my spare time but I haven't done so in so long I don't know what's really that good anymore. I'm not much for fantasy/adventure books, I enjoy ones that are just about life and stuff. If anybody could recommend a book, that'd be great! Thanks

#42 The Wizard of AZ

The Wizard of AZ

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:25 PM

Anybody have recommendations for books like Into The Wild? I've been meaning to read again during my spare time but I haven't done so in so long I don't know what's really that good anymore. I'm not much for fantasy/adventure books, I enjoy ones that are just about life and stuff. If anybody could recommend a book, that'd be great! Thanks

I'd recommend From Yale to Jail if you haven't read it. It's about David Dellinger, best remembered as one of the members of the Chicago 7 trial. Chronicles his lift from being raised in upper class Boston to marching with Refusing the draft in world war 2, marching Martin Luther King Jr, to protesting and visiting Vietnam.

Posted Image

#43 Ovech Trick

Ovech Trick

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:47 PM

iHugo (Hugo Chavez, biography)

Malcom X (autobiography)

Che: A revolutionary life (ernesto 'che' guevarra, biography)
Posted Image

Capitalist Hockey League - Minnesota Wild GM

#44 gmen81

gmen81

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,713 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:51 PM

Some good recommendations in this thread that I'll definitely have to check out.

Tennis fans should check out both of Serena Williams's books as well as Rafael Nadal's.

And for non sports, has anyone read the Fifty Shades trilogy? I just finished them (read them on iBooks) and they were really good. I've never read "adult romance" novels before but really enjoyed these.

My wife really enjoyed these books, but she actually enjoyed the ones by Sylvia Day better. I don't remember what they are called though. It's basically the same idea as 50 shades.
Posted Image

#45 theminister

theminister

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,119 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:59 PM

There is a pretty obscure book called First Overland which was written from the diaries of the Oxford Cambridge Expedition chronicling the first people to drive from London to Singapore in 1955. There isn't a great life lesson in it other than to give a snapshot of an adventure by young men in a completely different geopolitical landscape. It's short but it's fascinating.

http://en.m.wikipedi...rland#section_6

Edited by theminister, 12 November 2012 - 07:00 PM.

#46 Ovech Trick

Ovech Trick

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:05 PM

John Carlos - The Sports Story That Changed The World

John Carlos is an African American former track and field athlete and professional football player, and a founding member of the Olympic Project for Human Rights. He won the bronze-medal in the 200 meters race at the 1968 Summer Olympics, where his Black Power salute on the podium with Tommie Smith caused much political controversy. He went on to equal the world record in the 100 yard dash and beat the 200 meters world record. After his track career, he enjoyed brief stints in the National Football League and Canadian Football League but retired due to injury. He became involved with the United States Olympic Committee and helped to organize the 1984 Summer Olympics. He later became a track coach at a high school in Palm Springs, where he now resides. He was inducted into the USA Track & Field Hall of Fame in 2003.
Posted Image

#47 Alchemy Time

Alchemy Time

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,797 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:14 PM

The hunger games series

Wildly overrated, I just didn't get the hype. With the first book it was boring for the fist half, the second's er...boring-ness lasted almost 3/4 of the book, and in the case of the 3rd, the action didn't pick up until, like, the last 100 pages, along with the fact that they were written in present tense (something near unforgivable in my opinion). Honestly, the only thing that these books had going for them was that they had a good idea behind them.

P.S.But honestly, the only reason I read all of them was to find out the ending, which, frankly, sucked. Also, Katniss was one of the most over-emotional characters in books, EVER. When Haymitch, in Book 3, asks "Boy troubles?" she goes and hides in her closet and cries for a WHOLE DAY.

Edited by ER15, 12 November 2012 - 09:11 PM.

Posted Image

#48 Ovech Trick

Ovech Trick

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:22 PM

I don't know anything about music or sports book, maybe you should try ones about people climbing mountians and stuff, those are pretty good. I usually read current events and classic literature myself.
Posted Image

#49 Cromeslab

Cromeslab

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:39 PM

"I'll Never Get Out Of This World Alive" by Steve Earle.This book is fiction but is kinda music related,not only is Steve Earle a great songwriter,but he can write literature as well.

Posted Image

"Where you've been is good and gone,all you can keep is the gettin there"Townes Van Zandt

#50 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 25,399 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:53 PM

My wife really enjoyed these books, but she actually enjoyed the ones by Sylvia Day better. I don't remember what they are called though. It's basically the same idea as 50 shades.

Nice, I'll def have to check them out
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#51 Hume

Hume

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:30 PM

Wildly overrated, I just didn't get the hype. With the first book it was boring for the fist half, the second's er...boring-ness lasted almost 3/4 of the book, and in the case of the 3rd, the action didn't pick up until, like, the last 100 pages, along with the fact that they were written in present tense (something near unforgivable in my opinion). Honestly, the only thing that these books had going for them was that they had a good idea behind them.

even the idea is pretty damn recycled.

http://en.wikipedia....iki/The_Lottery
i've no idea what i am talking about! you'll go to hell for what your dirty mind is thiiiiiiiiiiiiiinkin'.
(i'm trapped in this body and can't get out.) how come i end up where i started?.
REASONABLE AND SENSIBLE.

#52 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:52 PM

I highly recommend Headhunters by Norwegian author Jo Nesbo. (I also recommend his Harry Hole detective novels series).

And the movie based upon the book is also terrific.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1614989/
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#53 Alchemy Time

Alchemy Time

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,797 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:04 PM

Hey, I'm gonna hijack this thread for a sec. My brother is a big reader, and I'm planning on getting him a book for his birthday. He's turning 13 and his favorite books have been the Alex Rider, Artemis Fowl, and Percy Jackson and The Olympians books. Any ideas?

Edited by ER15, 12 November 2012 - 09:05 PM.

Posted Image

#54 Hume

Hume

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:26 PM

Hey, I'm gonna hijack this thread for a sec. My brother is a big reader, and I'm planning on getting him a book for his birthday. He's turning 13 and his favorite books have been the Alex Rider, Artemis Fowl, and Percy Jackson and The Olympians books. Any ideas?

if he hasn't read any of the series of unfortunate events books, hook him up with the first one of those.

super funny and clever books, full of literary references and stuff. those books gave me my love of literature.
i've no idea what i am talking about! you'll go to hell for what your dirty mind is thiiiiiiiiiiiiiinkin'.
(i'm trapped in this body and can't get out.) how come i end up where i started?.
REASONABLE AND SENSIBLE.

#55 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,654 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:39 PM

Ok well none of the above. However I do think you should try the first 2 and the trilogy.

Anyway the best sports books I have read are. I haven't read many in truth.

Fever Pitch by Nick Hornby (saw the film which wasn't as good)
A River Runs through It by Norman McLean. Ok it's about fishing.......and growing up but it is a great, if short, read.
The Damned United by David Peace
The Grudge by Tom English (an epic book about character, national identity and two team's will to win. It helped that I lived through it and witnessed it at the time.)

The only books I have read on Music are.

The Commitments by Roddy Doyle
High Fidelity by Nick Hornby (I also saw the film, which wasn't as good)

The Commitments is a great movie as well.

GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#56 Alchemy Time

Alchemy Time

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,797 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:15 PM

if he hasn't read any of the series of unfortunate events books, hook him up with the first one of those.

super funny and clever books, full of literary references and stuff. those books gave me my love of literature.

Loved those books. Sadly, my parents already own them and I read all 13 of them to him when he was 8, so no.

Edited by ER15, 15 November 2012 - 08:16 PM.

Posted Image

#57 Fathoms

Fathoms

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:31 PM

Life. Death. Legend - The Biography of Jim Morrison.
Steppenwolf - Hermann Hesse (nothing to do with the band, but very archetypal)

Edited by Fathoms, 15 November 2012 - 08:32 PM.

wordings...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.