The Darkest Room

The Last 10 Seconds

The Reiki Man

The Company of Fellows

Truth Dare Kill

The Grower

Shadow

The Dead Tracks

Ok well none of the above. However I do think you should try the first 2 and the trilogy.

Anyway the best sports books I have read are. I haven't read many in truth.

Fever Pitch by Nick Hornby (saw the film which wasn't as good)

A River Runs through It by Norman McLean. Ok it's about fishing.......and growing up but it is a great, if short, read.

The Damned United by David Peace

The Grudge by Tom English (an epic book about character, national identity and two team's will to win. It helped that I lived through it and witnessed it at the time.)

The only books I have read on Music are.

The Commitments by Roddy Doyle

High Fidelity by Nick Hornby (I also saw the film, which wasn't as good)

i haven't read it personallly, but i was looking through the music section of a local bookstore yesterday and saw one called 'EVERYBODY LOVES OUR TOWN; AN ORAL HISTORY OF GRUNGE'

http://www.amazon.com/Everybody-Loves-Our-Town-History/dp/0307464431

this link has a lot of professional reviews.

i've read the 'oral history' book on punk called 'PLEASE KILL ME' and it's pretty good. the oral history books are interesting in that they're told through the bands themselves, or producers, or people who were actually there.

if you're more interested in criticism and just general discussion, there's a book series called '33 1/3.' they are small pocket-sized books, each one dealing with a specific album. i believe there are 85 or so books so far. i've read a few, some are dreadful, some are great.

here's a list;

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=33+1+3

enjoy!

I have Tiger William's biography and its great, but it was published in the 80's so you might have a harder time finding it.

If you're interested in fiction, I would recommend anything by Kurt Vonnegut, particularly Slaughterhouse 5 or Cat's Cradle.

I'm not a big fan of fiction either. If you want to branch out from your "Sports and Music" genres:

- Freakonomics

- (if you like that, the follow-up) Superfreakonomics

- Guns, Germs, and Steel

- No Logo

- Hegemony or Survival: America's Quest for Global Dominance

- Confessions of an Economic Hitman

• 3 months later...

Bump. But I didn't want to start a new thread.

I just finished reading a couple books you might find interesting.

One was "Breakaway: From behind the iron curtain to the NHL". Really interesting look at how some players defected to the west and how they coped with living. Some interesting insights into the Green Five(Krutov, Larionov, Makarov, Fetisov and Kasatonov) as well as the Stastny's and Petr Klima/Nedved defections as young teenagers..

Another one I'm almost done reading is "King of Russia: A year in the Russian Super league". It's about Dave King's experiences as the first North American coach to in Russia. About how different their training is and some of the players. Talks a lot about Malkin's last year in Russia and post-lockout players like Datsyuk and Kovalchuck. Pretty easy read in Journal Format.

Gonna start reading The Rebel League: The Short and Unruly Life of the World Hockey Association next.

Some good recommendations in this thread that I'll definitely have to check out.

Tennis fans should check out both of Serena Williams's books as well as Rafael Nadal's.

And for non sports, has anyone read the Fifty Shades trilogy? I just finished them (read them on iBooks) and they were really good. I've never read "adult romance" novels before but really enjoyed these.

Archived