The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What We Learned: Maybe Mike Gillis was serious

babych

Oh, and those extra 4.00 years of commitment, too. Those count.

Oh yeah, SAMI made the choice, right? It was all SAMI.

I love guys like you that think that Salo should take 1-year instead of 2, that Weber should sign a 1-year deal so he can become a UFA the following year, etc. You're basically suggesting that these guys really screw themselves over and bend over backwards to accommodate Mike Gillis and the Vancouver Canucks.

Yzerman offered Salo 2 years. I'm sure Salo then took this to Gillis and asked for 2 years, and probably would've been fine with less money. All he wanted was a second year. GILLIS made the choice to say no. You really think Sami wanted to leave? You really think Mitchell wanted to leave in 2009, or whenever it was? Gillis said no.

Did you just awake from a 6-month coma?

I can assure you that it does appear to anyone around the NHL that we have to get rid of Luongo, for a very good reason; we do. He has publicly asked for a trade. Mike Gillis has publicly said that they're looking to trade.

So, yes, you're correct in that it'll have an adverse effect on his value. Even worse is that fact that Luongo holds all the cards, and I personally believe that he's told Gillis that he'll accept a trade to two teams: the Blackhawks, and the Panthers. That's it. Which leaves Gillis fighting for scraps from basically only the Panthers, because he doesn't want to send Lou to Chicago, for obvious (sort of) reasons.

Make no mistake, we're already trading him when his value is IMMENSELY down.

Did you not read the rest of my post?

I said the best way to boost his value again is to show the NHL how valuable Luongo actually is and play him in a tandem with Schneider. It is what would be best for the Canucks and best for Luongo's value. Better to have a tandem of 9M goalies up until the trade deadline, then trade Luongo for some serious assets after teams see how good he still is than rely on Schneider all season and playoffs long, and get hardly anything for Luongo in a trade before seasons start.

Salo did make the choice did he not? Gillis said he told him as long as he was healthy he'd sign him to one year deals as long as he wanted to play here. The fact that Salo chose the two year deal maybe indicates that he isn't so confident in his own ability to stay healthy. No matter, Sami chose the Tampa deal, Gillis didn't choose it for him. Lidstrom ended his lengthy career signing one year deals. If Salo really wanted to be here he could have done the same.

If Salo didn't want to leave, Gillis had already assured him of his job security within the team. He'd keep giving him one year deals as long as he wanted to play, he said that specifically. If Salo wanted more term so if he were injured and unable to keep playing (at 35+ remember) so he could make money and sit while his contract was on our books, then that was his choice.

Any effect would be MINIMAL, because even if the player were to stand out, other teams would take notice and adjust. Think about it. Go ahead and try to put Manny Malhotra on the Sedin line. Heck, that'll surely lead to him scoring 30, right? Players generally are who they are. You can't "create" a superstar, that's a bunch of bologna. Mike Gillis isn't Vince McMahon.

And BTW, if there's ANY truth to that, Cody Hodgson would've been playing a lot MORE than he did. As I recall, people were complaining pretty loudly at his lack of usage, because he was very, very effective when he was playing - not because of Gillis & AV having him take faceoffs against certain people, but because he can pass, shoot, and he's very smart.

He didn't light up the goals & assists category, but look a little deeper. He had 51 shots over those 20 games, which is far more than what he had proportionally with Vancouver. That's encouraging. Shots lead to goals, it's typically a game of odds. In addition, I think he didn't get a single point in his first 10 games, even, so that'd mean that he had 8 in his last 10.

There are signs. You know it, and I know it. The kid is going to be a STUD.

On the contrary, i think King of the ES represents what most Vancouver Canuck fans are like:

-I'm impossible to please until we have a cup.

-It's doom and gloom all the way because of our cupless history.

-This and that i would've done differently.

-Why hasn't this and that been done yet?

-Blah, blah, blah, our GM and coach sucks.

-Blah, blah, blah, our team also sucks.

-Nevermind all other teams having the same expectations and follies, this is the only team that matters.

-It's August and i'm bored.

Did you not read the rest of my post?

I said the best way to boost his value again is to show the NHL how valuable Luongo actually is and play him in a tandem with Schneider. It is what would be best for the Canucks and best for Luongo's value. Better to have a tandem of 9M goalies up until the trade deadline, then trade Luongo for some serious assets after teams see how good he still is than rely on Schneider all season and playoffs long, and get hardly anything for Luongo in a trade before seasons start.

Archived