The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Flames prospect charged with assault

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=402588

FLAMES PROSPECT FERLAND CHARGED WITH ASSAULT OUTSIDE BAR

CALGARY -- The Calgary Flames say left-winger Michael Ferland, 20, has been charged with assault as a result of an incident outside a bar in Cochrane, Alta.

The Flames said Tuesday in a statement that team officials met with Ferland, who was drafted by Calgary in 2010 and played with the WHL Brandon Wheat Kings, and are taking steps to learn more about the incident.

RCMP officers called to a disturbance early July 29 outside the bar found a man had been pushed to the ground.

Police say a man who tried to assist the victim was struck in the face and knocked unconscious, and suffered a fractured orbital bone around the eye.

Investigators say Ferland, of Brandon, Man., is charged with aggravated assault and assault, and is to appear in Cochrane court Sept. 4.

Due to legal considerations, the Flames say the team is unable to provide much comment about the situation.

"While embarrassed, Michael maintains he is innocent with respect to the charges," the statement said. "The organization will support Michael as he moves through the legal process."

I hate it when people jump on the backs of these young guys when they make mistakes.

As much as I can't condone his actions, we don't know the whole situation.

Live and learn I say. If he is found guilty he will be punished one way or another.

I hate it when people jump on the backs of these young guys when they make mistakes.

As much as I can't condone his actions, we don't know the whole situation.

Live and learn I say. If he is found guilty he will be punished one way or another.

But it sounds like he either pushed the guy to the ground, or a friend did, and he intervened when someone else tried to help the dude on the ground.

I doubt they would charge him with both assault and aggravated assault if they didn't think the charges would stick, there probably was a few witnesses too.

Archived