The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks to begin extension talks with Edler

Meaning trading them for picks, hence freeing up cap space. Thought you would've figured that out without me having to explain it to you.

And how can you say all of my posts are useless when you've only been here for 5 months and I've been here for 10?

You are correct, It would be nearly impossible for me to read all of the 6600 posts that you have created in the last 10 months.

There is a saying: Quality > Quantity

And since you decided to get into the specifics of our time here on CDC I'd like to calculate another stat for you that ties in nicely with the new saying you hopefully just learned.

6600 posts with 2348 rep - 34% (rounded up)

271 posts with 253 rep - 93% (Rounded down)

6600 posts divided by 10 months = 22 posts per day

271 posts divided by 5 months = 1.8 posts per day

The moral of the story is: Shut up and go outside.

Gillis doesn't mess around. Either you take a discount to be here or your gone.

It already came out that they were ready to trade Burrows if he didn't sign his extension.

I'm sure Gillis offered him a fair contract, and him and his agent rejected it to try and get more money. Except all that does is tell Gillis he doesn't wanna be part of this group, so it's bye bye.

Why are some of you so concerned with Edler not re-signing a new contract? Just because a deal wasn't done before the end of this CBA doesn't mean a new deal can't be reached. The max length and term of such a new deal might be different than one under the old CBA, but I dont think it changes much really. Edler seems like the type of player who would like to remain a Canuck player anyway. No reason to worry about him jumping ship. Besides, they have him signed for one more year aswell, lots of time to figure things out going forward.

It already came out that they were ready to trade Burrows if he didn't sign his extension.

I'm sure Gillis offered him a fair contract, and him and his agent rejected it to try and get more money. Except all that does is tell Gillis he doesn't wanna be part of this group, so it's bye bye.

You are correct, It would be nearly impossible for me to read all of the 6600 posts that you have created in the last 10 months.

There is a saying: Quality > Quantity

And since you decided to get into the specifics of our time here on CDC I'd like to calculate another stat for you that ties in nicely with the new saying you hopefully just learned.

6600 posts with 2348 rep - 34% (rounded up)

271 posts with 253 rep - 93% (Rounded down)

6600 posts divided by 10 months = 22 posts per day

271 posts divided by 5 months = 1.8 posts per day

The moral of the story is: Shut up and go outside.

Really? Luongo, Kesler, Garrison,Ballard,Malhotra, and Booth all have either market level or higher contracts. Im sure more negotiating is needed to hammer out a deal. For all we know the Canucks want a 4 year term and Edlers camp may want 6 years with front loaded money. We really dont know.

on topic...

imo the only snag with an extension for edler is term (as a poster said earlier)

i cant imagine edler would want insane cash ala suter but 5.5-6 is most likely what he & his agent are looking for.

it did occur to me though that last years playoff performance may be the wrench in the contact talk...

is it possible mg could be taking a hard stance? say, using last year as a reason to attempt to lowball alex?

I'm just going to destroy your flawed argument from this point. The Sedin's have never been in a scrum, or tried to defend their teammates from a scrum. You don't want them to, because it's more beneficial for the Canucks to have them on the ice putting the puck in the net, after a beautiful tic-tac-toe play, rather then for them to sit for two minutes in the box for pulling out someones tooth. It's the same situation with Edler... you would rather have his outlet passes, and hits on the ice rather then be in the box.

The Sedin's time and time again were said to be soft players who couldn't lead Vancouver even close to the cup, when they couldn't produce in the playoffs such as a couple years ago against Dallas. As for Edler and his big hits? On our run to the cup finals against Chicago Edler nails Kane with a clean hard hit and our forward picks up the puck and there's our transition game at work, There's one on Doughty too when he lays him out in Round 1. It's easy to find flaws with anyone games, and I'm not saying in any sense that Edler has Hamhuis like consistency, but Edler is easily one of our top defensemen. Edler was terrible against the Kings this year... yes that's true but so was our entire defence group. Hamhuis made the play which cost the Canucks, but he's not inconsistent. Everyone has bad games, and even though Edler may be less consistent then other defensemen, but it's absolutely comical how you turn him from a top tier NHL defensemen, to someone who sounds like he could barely crack an ECHL roster. (ex. "cowering defensemen looking lost making tons of errors is not what i want in the playoffs") Whats absolutely laughable about that is how your proposing he doesn't get a penny over 5 million dollars or something around that mark, but then you put that comment about him. Hypocritical.

He's as soft as anyone in the league? I have never seen the Sedins or Gaborik look for a huge hit, but they use their speed or passing in order to make it in the league. Edler has an entire arsenal of weapons from his passing, skating, shot, hits, and his huge frame. I guarantee you that if Schneider was getting beat out of... it wouldn't be just Edler getting in the scrum. Furthermore I think that you put too much emphasis on "scrums, and fights". Little newsflash here this isn't the 1950's when all you needed was to be big to play in the NHL, or else Gerbe would be bandaged in a hospital bed by now. Again referring back to the Sedins... how much better off would we be if they dropped the gloves twice every game? How about if players like Tomas Plekanac, or Phil Kessel dropped the gloves. There are many types of players on a succesful team, and Edler is easily one of our best defensemen. He doesn't need to have twelve scraps on his resume, or have a mean streak in front of our net to be one of our best defensemen. For the record I haven't seen Lidstrom drop the gloves or get involved in huge scrums in front of Detroit's net, and yet people consider him one of the top defensemen in the NHL all time? Absolute joke according to your logic correct, cause ya know he doesn't fight or get mad.

To top if off.... The Sedin's make everyone around them better. Who cares if he plays constantly with the Sedins. Are you going to say Weber sucks, because he had Suter around. How about Garrison since he had Campbell around. How about when people said Edler's offensive output would drop as soon as we parted ways with Ehrhoff. You need good players around you to be a good player, as Rick Nash has shown. Burrows must only be worth about 800k a season, since he always plays with the Sedins? 600k if he didn't know how to PK? Exactly your arguments are flawed and incorrect, and seriously the Sedins are benefitting from Edler as well. He's offensively gifted, and isn't exactly Luongo when it comes to playing defence.

There is no doubt his overall record is good!.Gillis no doubt has a track record convincing guys to play on an internal versus salary hierarchy. But it's not cast in stone; some of it is timing (and he does empower guys as well!).

Here on CDC; we were ecstatic when the Sedin's re-signed versus bolting for free agency. But their deals were heavily questioned up until Hank started leading the league in scoring the next season. And $5 mill per season was seen as a BIG risk for Kesler at the time, but it's also paid off and like Burrows is considered great value.

But Gillis has also been played, or overpaid loyalties in establishing an eclectic and mercurial reputation for dishing out contracts as well. Ask for an evaluation on contracts for Lou, Marco Sturm, Sundin or Demitra anyone?

:bigblush:

Did Gillis give u a sweetheart contract to pick up the messes he left behind?

Archived