Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Report] Canucks to begin extension talks with Edler

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
335 replies to this topic

#331 JHansenFan

JHansenFan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,363 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:46 PM

http://www.vancouver...3332/story.html

Posted Image
Sick Sig Made By: allons-y

#332 RonMexico

RonMexico

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:07 PM

Well fortunately the majority of my arguments were made before this news was made open to the public. Unless you can claim that you know someone in Canucks management directly, and they gave you this information before hand... then you can't say that Edler's injury prone. When there are clauses in deals, they usually take down the value if teams have to negotiate with the player before the deal even goes through. You can recover from injuries, or else Daniel Sedin is worthless since he has a broken foot, Kesler should be traded for a 3rd round pick. We should have given up a first round pick to get rid of Salo, and Hamhuis should be waived, since you know he was injured in the Boston vs Vancouver final.

I never knew this at all. I just brought it up when I read about it. You are correct, you can recover from injuries, however, he has already had back surgery once. Now another back injury. This is a bad sign. Bad enough that a long term is out of the question, let alone one that pays him 6 mil or more per season. Now that he has re-occuring back problems, I fully advocate trading him. Of course, this just makes moving him all that more problematic. This team does not to re-write the Salo story all over again. So talented, now if he can only stay healthy. Been there done that.

#333 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,618 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 01:48 AM

I think Edler will regret not signing a long term deal before the CBA expired. Salaries will come down significantly and UFA age might go up. Of Course it all depends on how much Edler was being offered. I assume he was offered around $5 to $5.5 per year. I don't see him getting any more than that after seeing how serious the owners are with the CBA negotiations.

Even if he gets the same amount its a net loss for Edler. He could already have the extension in his back pocket so he would have piece of mind and even bigger thing is the contract would be guaranteed in case of injury gets worse.

#334 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,585 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:54 PM

Maybe he was injured before the start of the lockout; and terms are agreed subject to his recovery?

I think Edler will regret not signing a long term deal before the CBA expired. Salaries will come down significantly and UFA age might go up. Of Course it all depends on how much Edler was being offered. I assume he was offered around $5 to $5.5 per year. I don't see him getting any more than that after seeing how serious the owners are with the CBA negotiations.

Even if he gets the same amount its a net loss for Edler. He could already have the extension in his back pocket so he would have piece of mind and even bigger thing is the contract would be guaranteed in case of injury gets worse.

#335 firestorm238

firestorm238

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 11:23 AM

Maybe he was injured before the start of the lockout; and terms are agreed subject to his recovery?

It wouldn't matter because any unregistered agreement would be subject to the new CBA which will likely be more restrictive.

#336 Yeria

Yeria

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,400 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:18 AM

Pretty sure that Poile didn't sign either an NTC or and NMC for Weber, so saying he is locked up is misleading.

Now why Poile didn't sign either is anyone's guess but obviously speaks to the idea that he intends to trade Weber with a year or two.

I guess then Luongo has an NTC so MG will never have any intention of trading him. Oh wait...

To say he's "locked up" isn't misleading. Weber signed a very long contract. If that doesn't mean he's locked up, then I don't know what is. Even if Poile decides to trade him as you've speculated, how are we going to get him? Oh right..we can't.
Posted Image
Thanks to Hockey_Crazy for the sig!

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.