335 replies to this topic

#151 ButterBean

ButterBean

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 04:07 PM

Well first of all Lidstrom was a +21 and has been anywhere fromm +21 to +40 most of his career and is 10 times better then Edler this is a stupid point bringing Lidstrom into this lol
Bieksa is about the same risk defensively as Edler and is quite equal as far as that goes but 5 on 5 Bieksa had more points and given the pp time Edler gets i think would Bieksa would be better.
Bieksa is far more physical and far more important to the team do to his leadership qualities .

If you think that Edler was only bad defensively the last part of the season and playoffs you better stop smoking the dope he has pretty much been horrible since he joined the team years ago.

I meant to say the year before with Lidstrom. There's a reason Edler get's top unit time rather than Bieksa. It's because he reads the plays better and has good chemistry with the Sedins. Bieksa has to rely on pinching a lot and getting secondary assists even strength while Hamhuis is covering his ass 24/7. Bieksa is very reliant on Hamhuis while Edler has shown he can still play well when paired with the likes of Gragnani, Sulzer, Alberts, and Ballard. While Bieksa may be more consistent physically Edler is the harder hitter.

And I was saying this past year was probably his best defensive season to date if he didn't fall off during the last month of the season. You're nuts if you think he was a such a liability all of these years and Connauton, an unproven rookie is better? I didn't know such horrible defensive players got 23/24 minutes a game?

#152 The Big Luongo

The Big Luongo

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 08:20 PM

I meant to say the year before with Lidstrom. There's a reason Edler get's top unit time rather than Bieksa. It's because he reads the plays better and has good chemistry with the Sedins. Bieksa has to rely on pinching a lot and getting secondary assists even strength while Hamhuis is covering his ass 24/7. Bieksa is very reliant on Hamhuis while Edler has shown he can still play well when paired with the likes of Gragnani, Sulzer, Alberts, and Ballard. While Bieksa may be more consistent physically Edler is the harder hitter.

And I was saying this past year was probably his best defensive season to date if he didn't fall off during the last month of the season. You're nuts if you think he was a such a liability all of these years and Connauton, an unproven rookie is better? I didn't know such horrible defensive players got 23/24 minutes a game?

Obviously Edler is better now he's had quite a few years of training at the NHL level but i am very confident given maybe 3 years at most Connauton will be a much better all around defensemen then Edler. Edlers had 6 seasons to better his defensive skills and he hasn't exactly came a long way.
Edlers brutal gaffes and dumb mistakes against the kings were just more in the spotlight in the playoffs he's been playing pretty lousy defensively in all his 6 seasons.

There's a reason why AV called Edler out last season and it's because he was sick of all of Edlers downside killing the team.

I am confident the Canucks won't pay Edler big money and long term to stay and thankfully they just aren't as stupid as some on here are.

He shouldn't get a penny more then Hamhuis or Bieksa he hasn't earned it.

#153 Versace

Versace

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:16 AM

I hope he gets 3 years at a cap hit of 4 to 4.75 but he is going to get 5 to 5.5+

#154 ButterBean

ButterBean

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 01:27 PM

Obviously Edler is better now he's had quite a few years of training at the NHL level but i am very confident given maybe 3 years at most Connauton will be a much better all around defensemen then Edler. Edlers had 6 seasons to better his defensive skills and he hasn't exactly came a long way.
Edlers brutal gaffes and dumb mistakes against the kings were just more in the spotlight in the playoffs he's been playing pretty lousy defensively in all his 6 seasons.

There's a reason why AV called Edler out last season and it's because he was sick of all of Edlers downside killing the team.

I am confident the Canucks won't pay Edler big money and long term to stay and thankfully they just aren't as stupid as some on here are.

He shouldn't get a penny more then Hamhuis or Bieksa he hasn't earned it.

Given the situation were pretty much going to have to give him more than Hamhuis or Bieksa, whether you like it or not. Unless we give him a really long-term deal, he'll probably get 5-5.5m, and I'm okay with that. He'll most likely command 6-6.5m on the open market and offering him 4.6 at max is a dumb move considering were letting a defenseman with the best #1 potential on our team walk away just to keep an extra mill or half.

Edited by ButterBean, 27 August 2012 - 01:28 PM.

#155 chompers14

chompers14

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 08:08 PM

According to these "Insiders" talks have gone south.,come'on Evander Kane

#156 chompers14

chompers14

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 08:17 PM

According to these "Insiders" talks have gone south.,come'on Evander Kane

Could you imagine if we somehow traded for Bogosian And Kane., I would FRACKIN JIZZ MY PANTS

#157 Trade Deadline

Trade Deadline

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,474 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:22 AM

Could you imagine if we somehow traded for Bogosian And Kane., I would FRACKIN JIZZ MY PANTS

A pending UFA for their two youngest and most promising players?

:picard:

Posted Image

#158 allkill326

allkill326

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:27 AM

I'm 82-0-0 in NHL 12 Modded Dynasty Mode.
Posted Image

#159 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,763 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 02:57 PM

Edler plays with the Sedins because he's bigger (can cover some of his blunders without even trying) and has better offensive capabilitites, they can keep posession of the puck and don't have to play much defence. Both Bieksa and Edler are weak defensively, maybe it's partly the system that makes them so bad. Meh, I don't know for sure.

"What players need is the right kind of strength and power. That includes learning to understand that leverage and positioning can be just as important as raw strength when it comes to winning battles in the game. It's more about timing and athleticism --and avoiding injury--than it is about how much you can bench press. I don't know how many times I've seen a guy with the physique of a defensive end line up a guy half his size, only to bounce off when he connects. Sure, there is room in the game for big guys who can throw their weight around. But for the most part, players are smart enough to see them coming--and strong enough to protect the puck when they arrive. There are trainers out there who know how to devlop hockey-specific strength--though a trainer can help only if a player follows the program. All too often, I've seen players sign up with the best trainer, but not show up for their workouts and never to reap the benefits."

Bobby Orr - ORR MY STORY Viking 2013

#160 Pistachios

Pistachios

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,913 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 04:39 PM

I think you've gotta ask yourself 2 questions:

1) Is Edler a long term interest for the Canucks

2) Does Edler's value fit within the pay roll structure of the Canucks?

I think Edler is a long term interest for the Canucks. He is coming into his prime, has the ability to be a consistent 40+ point D man and although he has had his gaffe's he is still a quality defender. He did have a miserable playoff last season but c'mon people the guy is human- human error is a reality so live and let learn. For the most part he has been quite reliable (people tend to forget just how good along the boards Edler really is). Put it this way, of all the Canucks D (including Hamhuis) I still would be confident in Edler's play in all situations.

I could see him getting signed to a 4-6 year contract. Value wise, I think the reality is Edler is easily worth 5.5 million a season if not more if some teams are willing to over pay. If the Canucks sign him long term, tthe mutual benefit could be the cap hit coming down a bit i.e 5.2 to 5.3 million. Still, it's a big chunk of money but you need proven top 4 D.

The real question is whether Edler can justify his earnings. If he play's as well as he has so far, then yes, his contract is worth it. Solid D wins cups. If Edler can up his game similar to how the Sedins upped their game after signing their contracts, then he could be a steal of a signing in comparison to other premier NHL Defensemen.

What I'm curious about is how well he can play with Garrison. 2 big guys that if they can play a solid shut down game AND put up some numbers, the Canucks could feasibly have a 1A and 1B type D pairing on most teams (Hamhuis/Bieksa & Edler/Garrison). Not to say either pairing is best in the league in terms of individual pairs, but taken as a whole it could be exactly the step the Canucks back end needs to take to win a cup.

OK now I'm excited! F this lockout and let's get some hockey going!!!!

Edited by SILLY GOOSE, 28 August 2012 - 04:41 PM.

G4fSut.gif

#161 D-Bo7

D-Bo7

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 04:47 PM

All depends what the price tag is.

If Edler and his agent are asking for a Suter like contract, it may force Gillis to see what Edler's value is in a trade.

I personally don't think it's wise to let go of 50 point defenseman like him, because the market for D-men is always thin. And we saw the impact that letting Ehrhoff go had.

Although a Edler for Kane trade would be tempting, I don't think our D could cut it without Edler.

#162 Garrison

Garrison

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 05:00 PM

If we wish to trade Edler, he'll have much more value being signed.

#163 Avicii

Avicii

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:10 PM

Who would do Edler, Kesler for Giroux

Who needs defense when you have Giroux :bigblush:

Posted Image

#164 hyflyin

hyflyin

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:14 AM

M

#165 Lonny_Bohonos_14

Lonny_Bohonos_14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:13 AM

POPULAR

Who would do Edler, Kesler for Giroux

Who needs defense when you have Giroux :bigblush:

The Flyers.

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#166 Xbox

Xbox

Formerly Lups

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,715 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 09:30 AM

Why don't you think before you post buddy.You think Edler's only inconsistent play was last years playoffs hahaha i wish!! Wake up Edler has been a crap shoot all over the ice since he joined the canucks years ago!!
Edler gets all his points off the Sedins world class play and is usually lost all over the ice but makes the odd good pass and rare good hit and everyone thinks he's a Norris trophy candidate what a farce lolEdler physical hahaha??Here's a clue there's a way more to the game of physicality then the odd hit Edler throws then runs away scared. How about defending your teammates or your goalie when needed? Getting involved in front of our net at all? Not running away like a baby never showing any emotions? When does that softy Edler ever do any of that?I know NEVER!Hey wake up Edler is overrated and has always been horrible defensively not just last year against LA. Hell Edler's plus minus of 0 say's it all!When you play all your 5 on 5 ice time with the best players in the world the Sedins and their numbers are very good there's definitely something wrong any fool should be able to see that. Maybe you should think some more and watch closer buddy your missing alot.

I lol'd

2yo50sh.jpg

small.pngGM - STHS                                  Sig Cred to -Vintage Canuck-

#167 Burnsey

Burnsey

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,806 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:18 PM

5 years up to $5M a year. That's a pretty decent deal. Maybe a little less (money-wise). Love Edler, has loads of potential and is already a great d-man, can only get better. But don't want spend 7-9M just on potential....

team-canada-jarome-iginla-photo.jpg

#168 Sergei Shirokov

Sergei Shirokov

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 11:56 PM

I think a large part of Edler's problem was the lack of a consistent partner and him having to play too many minutes. (On a lot nights, Edler played 25 minutes a game.)

It should be better this year. Garrison is a very reliable D-man who is capable of playing lots and lots of minutes in a top-pairing situation. Tanev was playing top four minutes at the end of last season and did very well in a shut down role when the canucks had that little streak at the end. Ballard was also playing better this past season and we should see a steady impovement.

When healthy, our d-score is very very well balanced. This will change once injuries start to mount.

#169 VIC_CITY

VIC_CITY

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 11:05 AM

5 years up to $5M a year. That's a pretty decent deal. Maybe a little less (money-wise). Love Edler, has loads of potential and is already a great d-man, can only get better. But don't want spend 7-9M just on potential....

At this point of his career, his next contract will NOT be based on potential. I think we have a pretty good idea of what we have in Edler. He's a # 1-2 offensive D-man capable of putting up 40-50 points/yr consistently when playing with a talented offensive team. He'll also show flashes of physicality that make you wonder why he isn't one of the top 5 D-men in the NHL. But then he'll go on 5-10 game droughts where he plays like a rookie that's afraid to carry the puck, completely forgetting about the physical side of the game and the fact that he has a 95 mile an hour slap shot! Just goes to show how much of this game is mental. So as good as he is, he always leaves you wanting more.

#170 eretz canucks

eretz canucks

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 12:56 PM

Thats how u should always play it- leave em wanting more

#171 The Big Luongo

The Big Luongo

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:02 AM

At this point of his career, his next contract will NOT be based on potential. I think we have a pretty good idea of what we have in Edler. He's a # 1-2 offensive D-man capable of putting up 40-50 points/yr consistently when playing with a talented offensive team. He'll also show flashes of physicality that make you wonder why he isn't one of the top 5 D-men in the NHL. But then he'll go on 5-10 game droughts where he plays like a rookie that's afraid to carry the puck, completely forgetting about the physical side of the game and the fact that he has a 95 mile an hour slap shot! Just goes to show how much of this game is mental. So as good as he is, he always leaves you wanting more.

For the most part you hit the nail on the head.

Edlers game is much more inconsistent then many fans notice or like to admit and patience did start wearing thin with AV last season when he came out and called Edler out in the media as he should have.

Edler is a way too soft and with all his holes in his game is not worth a dime more then our other defensemen and personally if him and his agent want 5 or more i would trade him.

Edited by The Big Luongo, 05 September 2012 - 08:05 AM.

#172 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,335 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:21 AM

For the most part you hit the nail on the head.

Edlers game is much more inconsistent then many fans notice or like to admit and patience did start wearing thin with AV last season when he came out and called Edler out in the media as he should have.

Edler is a way too soft and with all his holes in his game is not worth a dime more then our other defensemen and personally if him and his agent want 5 or more i would trade him.

For the last time Edler isn't freakin soft! Do you not know who he is? You clearly see a different Edler than every one else does.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#173 ccc44

ccc44

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:04 PM

5 mil a yr on a long term deal ? Get real , Edler will easily get 7 mil a yr on a open market that is very thin on D

If the salary cap goes down then his market value goes down but if it keeps increasing players demands will keep on increasing thats something people need to start considering when they see players salary demands increase
Posted Image
SHOTS ! SHOTS ! SHOTS !

#174 George_Costanza

George_Costanza

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:05 PM

For the last time Edler isn't freakin soft! Do you not know who he is? You clearly see a different Edler than every one else does.

Confirmed.

Edler is a physical beast.
Posted Image

#175 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 70,487 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:53 PM

4 free agent defenseman the Oilers could target next summer are Alex Edler, Rob Scuderi, Ian White and Jordan Leopold.

http://blogs.edmonto...ue-next-summer/

307mg00.jpg

#176 Edler's Mind Tricks

Edler's Mind Tricks

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,890 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:32 PM

That's nice?

Hockey Management Intern for UBC Thunderbirds.
Associate Editor for Dobber Sports Network.
Designing a UBC Hockey Management Degree.

#177 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,335 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:39 PM

4 free agent defenseman the Oilers could target next summer are Alex Edler, Rob Scuderi, Ian White and Jordan Leopold.

http://blogs.edmonto...ue-next-summer/

We could target Corey Perry, Kimmo Timonen, Travis Zajac and many more next off season too. See what I did there?

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

#178 The Big Luongo

The Big Luongo

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:49 PM

The guy throws the odd good hit and he's a beast lol

Edler hits then if someone get's pissed off he runs and hides cowering or he goes games without throwing anymore.
I will also add Edler puts himself in horrible position trying to throw the big hit quite often costing goals against.

The guy has never in all his years got involved in a scrum or even entered one with a teammate getting picked on or roughed up even though he's huge it's a laughable lol

What about in front of our net he couldn't be more of a chicken there either!

Hell Schneider could be getting a beating and the guy would skate to the bench like a wuss. He has no personality whats so ever even when scored on its terrible.

He's a soft as anybody in the league.

Haha wow what a physical beast that is a joke.

Bottom line is a cowering defensemen looking lost making tons of errors is not what i want in the playoffs. We are too close to winning it all to have it.

Edited by The Big Luongo, 05 September 2012 - 10:58 PM.

#179 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,335 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:10 PM

POPULAR

Edler hits then if someone get's pissed off he runs and hides cowering or he goes games without throwing anymore.
I will also add Edler puts himself in horrible position trying to throw the big hit quite often costing goals against.

The guy has never in all his years got involved in a scrum or even entered one with a teammate getting picked on or roughed up even though he's huge it's a laughable lol

Hell Schneider could be getting a beating and the guy would skate to the bench like a wuss. He has no personality whats so ever even when scored on its terrible.

Bottom line is a cowering defensemen looking lost making tons of errors is not what i want in the playoffs. We are too close to winning it all to have it.

loool. You are so blind its not even funny.

#180 CHodgson9

CHodgson9

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:33 PM

Posted Image
"You must be the change you want to see in the world" - Mahatma Ghandi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.