Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Iran moves to legalize marriage for girls under 10 years old

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
222 replies to this topic

#211 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,542 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:27 PM

1/10
Posted Image

i'm not alone; i'll never be

#212 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:20 PM

Anyway, the one that drives me crazy is "inane." That word that is so inherently condescending and dismissive, yet it's the go-to word of choice for many of these people in their "serious" discussions!

Sometimes the word 'inane' is the only word that adequately and correctly describes a post so therefore it is used (appropriately, I might add) as a descriptor for said post. Point in fact........the one I have quoted a portion of. There are more ways than just using the word 'inane' to be' condescending and dismissive' as you have demonstrated so well in your post........aren't you rather strutting around in the pot costume here?.

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 20 August 2012 - 07:26 PM.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#213 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,694 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:00 PM

Sometimes the word 'inane' is the only word that adequately and correctly describes a post so therefore it is used (appropriately, I might add) as a descriptor for said post. Point in fact........the one I have quoted a portion of. There are more ways than just using the word 'inane' to be' condescending and dismissive' as you have demonstrated so well in your post........aren't you rather strutting around in the pot costume here?.

Personally I find so many words vacuous and vapid that I become almost pedantic .. -_-

Edited by Tearloch7, 20 August 2012 - 08:00 PM.

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#214 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,542 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:03 PM

uh huh
Posted Image

i'm not alone; i'll never be

#215 Super19

Super19

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,438 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:21 PM

The worst thing about many of the posters in this thread--other than their disagreeable nature and bland opinions--is their belief that, as Hemingway would say: a ten dollar idea requires ten dollar words

It's unfortunate that some good ideas get tripped up by the buzzwords these people exchange with each other, daily. These exchanges always seem to be in the same 'masturbatory' language that you can find on any forum on the internet, but (ironically) not in a class room, or book or journal worth reading.

Anyway, the one that drives me crazy is "inane." That word that is so inherently condescending and dismissive, yet it's the go-to word of choice for many of these people in their "serious" discussions!

That said, I don't disagree with Bertuzzi Babe in the least: this is how these people actually function! Can you imagine... ?

Posted Image
Posted Image

#216 لني

لني

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,310 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:24 PM

Sent from my iPhone Canucks App

It is not my intent to get in circular arguments with anybody. The reason i have avoided saying anything specific is because i know you or someone else will attempt to find an alternate explanation to my points which i intern will have to defend. I see no point in getting involved with the circular argument that is already well under way in this thread. I simply intended to voice my opinion on the subject. In the end either you accept the possibility of corruption and conspiracy or you don't.

Also i find your comments to be very childish. Does taking what i say out of context, paraphrasing and misquoting it make you feel good about yourself? Grow up.

Logic at its finest.

#217 Remy

Remy

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:27 PM

The worst thing about many of the posters in this thread--other than their disagreeable nature and bland opinions--is their belief that, as Hemingway would say: a ten dollar idea requires ten dollar words

It's unfortunate that some good ideas get tripped up by the buzzwords these people exchange with each other, daily. These exchanges always seem to be in the same 'masturbatory' language that you can find on any forum on the internet, but (ironically) not in a class room, or book or journal worth reading.

That said, I don't disagree with Bertuzzi Babe in the least: this is how these people actually function! Can you imagine... ?

What a hypocritical post. If you were truly a man of your word then you would have posted:

big wurds scur me, hurr durr

#218 Navyblue

Navyblue

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:29 PM

While I agree with what the majority is saying, I feel for the minority in the sense that by now his neck would have been severely broken by the pile on effect. Maybe it's warranted, but still...I think he gets it.

(stop coming back for more mr Jaw :P)

Edited by Navyblue, 20 August 2012 - 08:32 PM.

Posted Image

#219 Super19

Super19

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,438 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:31 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAguP-zY2AA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

awesome
Posted Image

#220 Navyblue

Navyblue

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:44 PM

"Let me clarifly" Hahah

Edited by Navyblue, 20 August 2012 - 08:45 PM.

Posted Image

#221 Canuckerbird

Canuckerbird

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:54 PM

That's not my definition for 'martyr', it's Merriam-Webster's.

He may have sacrificed himself...but it doesn't make him a 'martyr', regardless of your definition of martyrdom.

Sharp, martrydom is not limited to religious beliefs. One can be a martyr for any cause or belief. The term is usually associated with either political causes or religious beliefs. This according to Merriam Webster.
My friend asked me if I wanted a frozen banana. I said "No. But I do want a normal banana later, so...ya."- The Late Mitch Hedberg

Go Canucks GO

#222 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:11 PM

Sharp, martrydom is not limited to religious beliefs. One can be a martyr for any cause or belief. The term is usually associated with either political causes or religious beliefs. This according to Merriam Webster.

Read my previous posts. I proffered as much, however you're incorrect about its 'usual' or primary usage, which would be in the religious context and secondarily in for a principle. That principle isn't relegated only to political ones either.

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#223 sakage.shinga

sakage.shinga

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:38 PM

Let me guess, yet another move to allow those scheming parents to barter their daughters away before the children know any better? Disgusting...truly despicable.
Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.