The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Religion cannot be proven by worldly sciences

Super19

That's because you keep talking out of both sides of your mouth.

"I never said Atheism is a religion, but I'm saying that it sure as heck looks like one" *wink wink*

Right now, it's just the two sides of your mouth you're speaking from.....keep this line of nonsense up and I'll have no reason left but to conclude that you're speaking from another orifice.

Hey well if I were to say religious and atheistic organizations don't resemble each other I would be lying. To say there are no similarities (take for example my original list of checks) is to just be lying to one's self.

Are there really no similarities between them in your mind?

Atheistic organizations don't try and convert people to share a similar view, they don't think their ways are the right ways, the don't share common values or ideas (ex. Science is the only way to know truth, humanism, secularism etc.), or ask to donate money to what they perceive are worthy causes, or band together to promote shared interests (see Kryten's example of why they organize).

edit

Anyway I'm out for a bit to quote a certain movie character:

"I got better things to do than dick around with you all day"

;)

Hey well if I were to say religious and atheistic organizations don't resemble each other I would be lying. To say there are no similarities (take for example my original list of checks) is to just be lying to one's self.

Are there really no similarities between them in your mind?

Atheistic organizations don't try and convert people to share a similar view, they don't think their ways are the right ways, the don't share common values or ideas (ex. Science is the only way to know truth, humanism, secularism etc.), or ask to donate money to what they perceive are worthy causes, or band together to promote shared interests (see Kryten's example of why they organize).

"Dr. Haidt believes that religion has played an important role in human evolution by strengthening and extending the cohesion provided by the moral systems. “If we didn’t have religious minds we would not have stepped through the transition to groupishness,” he said. “We’d still be just small bands roving around.”"

http://www.nytimes.c...=rssnyt&emc=rss

Your problem, like the other pot-stirrer, who chimes in once a day with his atheism is a religion bullcrap, is that you're trying to assign similarities between the people who make up the label Atheists...which is actually a broad range of non-believers and agnostics and the people who are defined as being religious, or followers of a religion.

That does not make non-belief the same as belief, with regards to the doctrines of the supernatural.

If an atheist is stubborn, like a religious person is stubborn, that doesn't make non-belief the same as belief in the supernatural, and therefore make atheism equal to theism or certain theologies.

Again, it's a complete logic fail on your part. But, if you want to keep talking out of your backside like TOML on this point, please be my guest. Your table for two at the idiotic eatery will be ready shortly. Try the chef's mockery, it's delicious.

Again, being an atheist who doesn't "organize" (at least not with other atheists), I couldn't say for certain but I'd wager it has something to do with my earlier post:

When religious groups are actively funding, infiltrating, interfering with and generally @#$%'ing up governments despite previous attempts and laws to separate them from governance, it would make sense that like-minded, atheist individuals might band together to actively combat those influences.

As such, organizations which have atheist members have likely sprung up. If anything that would place them closer to a political movement or special interest group than a "religion" IMO. Particularly as their is a distinct lack of worship, deities, dogma etc normally associated with religion.

See I don't disagree with anything you've said here. We could compare atheistic organizations to political groups the same way I've compared them to religious groups and organizations.

A group of people with similar ideals trying to promote them over another group with different ideals and beliefs. The biggest difference is that religious groups tend to want to include God or the Bible in every decision they make (ex. gay rights or abortion etc).

*Waits for Sharpshooter to come tell me that atheism does not equal a political party* :P

That's a pretty big difference!

And yes I compared them, that doesn't mean I think Atheists in general are a political group anymore than I think Canucks fans are (or a religion) despite the obvious similarities. So what exactly is your point? Do you even have one beyond that there are "loose parallels" between groups of like-minded/"goaled" individuals? Do I need to find a "Captain Obvious" meme?

Your problem, like the other pot-stirrer, who chimes in once a day with his atheism is a religion bullcrap, is that you're trying to assign similarities between the people who make up the label Atheists...which is actually a broad range of non-believers and agnostics and the people who are defined as being religious, or followers of a religion.

That does not make non-belief the same as belief, with regards to the doctrines of the supernatural.

If an atheist is stubborn, like a religious person is stubborn, that doesn't make non-belief the same as belief in the supernatural, and therefore make atheism equal to theism or certain theologies.

Again, it's a complete logic fail on your part. But, if you want to keep talking out of your backside like TOML on this point, please be my guest. Your table for two at the idiotic eatery will be ready shortly. Try the chef's mockery, it's delicious.

Archived