The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Religion cannot be proven by worldly sciences

Super19

I am a believer in science but I also have a religious affiliation and one of the religious ideologies is that Science is percieved by our senses, our observations of the world around us. Because we are Human, science is then inherently limited by the bounds of the human mind and our senses. It is then possible for god who exists on a higher plain of our senses since he is the creator to exist outside our realm of "science."

I am a believer in science but I also have a religious affiliation and one of the religious ideologies is that Science is percieved by our senses, our observations of the world around us. Because we are Human, science is then inherently limited by the bounds of the human mind and our senses. It is then possible for god who exists on a higher plain of our senses since he is the creator to exist outside our realm of "science."

I think I know what you're saying, but let me put it to you like this....how do you use your own senses, to detect atoms? Do you use 'faith' like religion would have you to believe something that you can't observe without the aid of a material tool or a systematic process such as the scientific process, that religion doesn't have?

Here's an example that goes against your 'bounded by our mind and senses' opinion. You know the static that we use to see on the screen of your television? Remember that fuzziness? Did or does your mind tell you that by observing it, one is able to glean information from it that would lead you to be able to see the background radiation from the Big Bang? Cause a part of that is that....and in the future that won't be observable any longer.

Now, why didn't or isn't your religion able to tell you things like that? You know real-life things, that if known say 2000 years or so ago, would have blown people's minds....like for instance, the earth is round. If your religious book was able to say that 2000 years ago, that would have at least been pretty impressive, right? Tell me, what did your God tell us that we didn't alreacy know?

Logically, it's nicer for people to believe that there's something beyond death. And logically, it probably brings great comfort to those people when they think that their beliefs alone are what determines whether their is an afterlife or not. Oh, and that non-believers will instead rot in nothingness.

That being said, logically, it makes sense for non-believers to think that belief alone does not predetermine what happens to them after death.

Plenty of logic available. But no realization. Just denial.

Religion is for those that believe in hell, spirituality is for those that have been there.

If I had been raised in a society that did not lie to me about the existance of the:

Tooth fairy

Easter Bunny

Santa Claus

I might have been able to believe in a supreme being.

This is much like the "I've seen something in the sky I can't explain, better attribute it to a UFO or aliens" rationale.

The first element to it is that as children in North America, especially more than 10-20 years old, we've been taught that religion is truth, in whatever subjective form comes from the parents or churches we hear them from.

Second, we're told that religious elements are miracles of some type, "God" is invisible, his human form "Jesus" can only be seen to his followers, none of these intangible things can be tested, but the logic behind them and the book that is written that contains things attributed to the real world is tangible enough to falsify thus put to the test of whether or not it's true.

Thirdly, someone already mentioned:

.. and this is called control. The control associated with these made-up things is obvious, and it is just as obvious with religion when objectively comparing it.

Most people rightfully fear death, religion controls that fear and provides a comforting answer, at the same time, adding another fear element that should you not choose their path you will be subject to a type of punishment you've likely never experienced.. thus creating fear of two unknowns -- death and eternal punishment. It's common wisdom that people afraid are easier to control, so add fear of those two unknowns with the comforting feeling of eternal life after death, as well as going to heaven, and you have yourself a wonderful life of self-delusion which won't ever get proven wrong because you'll be too dead to figure out the truth.

Anyhow, as an agnostic, I recognize one thing -- I don't know whether or not there is a creator. On the other hand, I know the mythological creators, whether it be from what we call "mythology" in contemporary terms or the religions people preach and practice, they are given tangible qualities that are easy to debunk with reason alone. The fact that the books associated with these religions in particular that I have in mind were created by people, who subjectively wrote them, subjectively decided how to interpret them, transliterate them, etc., I know there are far too many facets, layers, and people involved in describing things in these books over a long period of time to be able to accurately depict them, there's far too little tangible evidence that these stories involving tangible things happened.

Any analytically objective person pertaining to the subject of religion should outright reject it, and any person not falling to the absolutist game (i.e. falling into a logic trap where the brain wants a conclusion even when there cannot be one) that besets atheism should admit they don't know rather than coming to a convenient conclusion that can, "conveniently" change the same way religion does as time goes on. Science is one of humanity's greatest accomplishments, but logic dictates people, being people, will bring religion with it, so the battle of objectivity and non-absolutes wouldn't end even if the Muslim, Christian, Sikh, Hebrew, Scientologist, Hindu, etc. died out.

Archived