The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Retire Luongo's Number?

Jägermeister

222 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Good points.

What you have mentioned however is also a testament to his up and down playoff performance. His inconsistency has been staggering at times, to the point I think where the coach wouldn't know whether or not to change goalies from game to game. An example would be trying Schneider in games 4 and 6 in Boston during the SCF. That's hindsight for you anyways.

With the plethora of injuries to the d and notably Kes and Hank up front this team would have needed a 24 year old rookie in Ken Dryden to beat this Boston team. Back then,Dryden had Lapointe,Savard,LaPerriere,Harper,Boucher and Murdoch. All were said to be healthy.

Bieksa -hurt by a Peverly or Boychuck blatant ,heavy two hander to the back of the knee.No call.

Hamhuis-out in game 2.

Ehrhoff-shot up to play.Could not take a hit or deal a hit or he risked serious,further shoulder damage.

Rome -out. Tanev,a rookie with zero goals is playing.

Alberts-playing hurt alongside the rookie Tanev.

Edler-two fingers broken from a Boston slash.Could barely hold his stick.No call.

If you have to win by fluke goals, then you don't deserve to win. The fact of the matter is it really didn't matter who was in net, the offence wasn't there and we were going to lose anyway. The score may have been more respectable but the result would have ultimately been the same.

Luongo's play was always supplemented by the quality of d men in front of him.

That is true of almost any goalie -anywhere.

The Canucks had one d man that was not injured and a rookie that has never scored an NHL goal left to play against Boston.

Give up the hatred and smell the salt.

When I think of that series all I remember was intimidation .breaking backs,slashing to injure and running Canucks to literally kill them.

The Bruins were brutal thugs and yet the Canucks made one borderline hit on a Bruin and Rome served the longest suspension in NHL history.

And that is why Gillis is seriously upsetting this fan by throwing Luo out and under the bus.

Luo and this team(with an addition or three) in front of him would win a cup,given a SCF encore.

When I think of that series all I remember was intimidation .breaking backs,slashing to injure and running Canucks to literally kill them.

The Bruins were brutal thugs and yet the Canucks made one borderline hit on a Bruin and Rome served the longest suspension in NHL history.

And that is why Gillis is seriously upsetting this fan by throwing Luo out and under the bus.

Luo and this team(with an addition or three) in front of him would win a cup,given a SCF encore.

Naslund in the latter portion of his career was not beneficial to the club? The guy was second in goals in his final three years, behind Daniel. And third in points for his final three years, behind the twins.

C'mon, don't be biased now.

Funny, Mark Messier was 2nd, 2nd and 3rd in scoring for the Canucks (on a far worse team) during his three years here (despite significant injuries during years 2 and 3) and I don't see anybody defending him (and he didn't suffer through a 17 game goalless drought like Naslund did). C'mon, don't be biased now.

The difference is keeping your team in it. If you're within a goal your team cam make a push. When you're down 5 it's already over. That was the difference between Lou and Thomas. Thomas kept the Bruins in every one of their losses to us. To the bitter end they still had a chance. We didn't in our losses. I wouldn't fault Lou the least bit had he kept us in the games we lost. Even still the bulk of the blame goes to injuries. But those numerous injuries left us with Lou as our only real hope. And he bounced between a Vezina nominee and a Cloutier impersonator.

You won't win many games in the finals if you need to score 5 or more.

Archived