#2 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,884 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:45 PM

Nikita Filatov should be on this list.

Edited by Ossi Vaanenen, 23 August 2012 - 12:47 PM.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#3 Bilbro Baggins

Bilbro Baggins

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:47 PM

No Hugh Jessiman?

Posted Image

#4 Brad Marchand

Brad Marchand

Sphincter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,546 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:48 PM

Nikita Filatov should be on this list. Pretty much anyone from 4-10 in 07' should as well.

Are you talking about the top 10 picks of the 2007 draft?

5. Karl Alzner
6. Sam Gagner
7. Jakub Voracek
9. Logan Couture

I would hardly consider these guys busts.
Luc Bourdon & Rick Rypien: Forever Canucks

#5 Canuckian93

Canuckian93

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:50 PM

Sidney Crosby Rick Dipietro

Edited by Canuckian93, 23 August 2012 - 02:13 PM.

[IMG]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a311/travhave/crosby.jpg/[IMG]

#6 coleman26

coleman26

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:57 PM

No Hugh Jessiman?

Yep. List, I deem you invalid.

Brent Krahn as #1 is also kind of silly. Don't get me wrong, he was a bust and all, but there wasn't a lot of talent in that draft. Basically, after #3 you were playing hunches. And he was the #1 ranked Goalie in North America. Al Montoya went higher and has done equally poor since being drafted.

Chistov, Jessiman, Svitov all deserve to be on because they were abhorrent busts in years when there was better on the table. When can we start calling Thomas Hickey a bust, because that kid is going nowhere, fast.

#7 Tom Sestito

Tom Sestito

Probably Not A Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:58 PM

Sidney Crosby Rick Depietro

Posted Image

Edited by TrueStory, 23 August 2012 - 12:58 PM.

Posted Image
Thank you VC!

#8 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,209 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:58 PM

Didn't see a thread. Got this from a hockey Facebook page:

http://hockeyreporte...since-2000.html

Feel free to provide a quote from the article so we can have more context on what we're discussing beyond the title of the thread.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#9 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,340 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 01:01 PM

Yep. List, I deem you invalid.

Brent Krahn as #1 is also kind of silly. Don't get me wrong, he was a bust and all, but there wasn't a lot of talent in that draft. Basically, after #3 you were playing hunches. And he was the #1 ranked Goalie in North America. Al Montoya went higher and has done equally poor since being drafted.

Chistov, Jessiman, Svitov all deserve to be on because they were abhorrent busts in years when there was better on the table. When can we start calling Thomas Hickey a bust, because that kid is going nowhere, fast.

Montoya still has a NHL job.

While Krahn played a total of 12 games in the AHL last year.
Posted Image

#10 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 70,705 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 01:04 PM

They just included draft picks from 2000-2005. Don't see anyone from previous years or so.

307mg00.jpg

#11 coleman26

coleman26

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 01:11 PM

Montoya has a job on teams where they literally had no other options lol. What was he, like, #5 in NYIs system by the time he played? And he's benchwarming this year unless Pavs goes down (which, I'll pray every night that he doesn't)

Not saying Krahn isn't terrible, but a #6 basically being so bad at his job that he can't be trusted to start except in life or death scenarios making the league minimum isn't success. We could split the difference and just agree that neither of them are doing very well for themselves, though.

EDIT: Al Montoya went 20 picks before Cory Schneider in the same draft.

Edited by Coleman26, 23 August 2012 - 01:12 PM.

#12 Tim Thomas

Tim Thomas

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 01:39 PM

jack skille ..... facepalm no skills

#13 coleman26

coleman26

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 01:40 PM

I imagine suffering through Jack Skille's lack of development must have driven many, many Hawks fans to the bottle.

#14 topbananas

topbananas

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 01:50 PM

Potential fades quickly. This is evident with the 10 former Top-10 draft picks below.

They were all once regarded as some of the best talents of their draft class. But as the years past, their expected bright NHL futures faded into careers in lower-level leagues.

General Managers and scouting staffs are often the first to be thrown under the bus for high draft picks not panning out. In some instances, a simple overvaluation of a player's upside could be the case. After all, draft picks are only as valuable as the hands they are in.

Nonetheless, it takes two to tango. Regardless of calibre of talent, it takes elite work ethic and determination to make it big at the next level. Not every player is willing to put in the time and effort that is required. The domino effect follows, as they play for the Spangler Cup instead of the Stanley Cup.

Here is a look at the 10 worst draft busts since 2000.

10. Jack Skille, 7th overall in 2005 by the Chicago Blackhawks

The book is somewhat still out on Skille. It's closing fast, though.

It took Skille six years to finally earn a regular roster spot with the Blackhawks. However, the 6-foot-1, 219-pounder didn't live up expectations. So the Blackhawks dealt him to the Florida Panthers in a minor deal. Despite the change of scenery, Skille is yet to develop into an impact forward. He only managed to muster 10 points in 46 games this year.

9. Boris Valabik, 10th overall in 2004 by the Atlanta Thrashers

Hoping he would follow in the footsteps of all-star defenceman Zdano Chara, the Thrashers selected 6-foot-7, 245-pound Boris Valabik in '04.

After finishing out his junior career with the Kitchener Rangers, Valabik constantly flew back and forth from Atlanta to their farm team, the Chicago Wolves. Six years later, Valabik's most memorable moment is losing a fight to the late Rick Rypien, who stood 8-inches shorter than the Slovak native.

Valabik has since played for the AHL affiliates of the Boston Bruins and Pittsburgh Penguins. He is set to become a restricted free agent this summer.

8. Nikita Alexeev, 8th overall in 2000 by the Tampa Bay Lightning

Standing 6-foot-5, Alexeev was supposed to be Tampa Bay's future top-line power forward, capable of scoring 20-plus goals per year. Instead, Alexeev topped out at a 10-goal, 21-point season at the age of 25 for the Bolts.

Alexeev is currently struggling to make a living in the KHL. The Russian native has only scored a combined 12 points in his past three seasons throughout 73 games.

7. Mikhail Yakubov, 10th overall in 2000 by the Chicago Blackhawks

At the 2000 Entry Draft, the Blackhawks held the tenth and eleventh overall picks. They turned to Russia for the future, drafting Yakubov at 10, followed by Pavel Vorobiev.

Although Vorobeiv didn't exactly live up to expectations either, Yakubov's stint in the NHL was the least-impressive of the two. He only suited up for 53 games, finding the back of the net twice.

After trying to make the NHL work from 2000-07 without any success, Yakubov went back to Russia. He currently laces up the skates with the Magnitogorsk Metallurg in the KHL.

6. Stanislav Chistov, 5th overall in 2001 by the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim

Selected directly ahead of Minnesota Wild star Mikko Koivu, Chistov was regarded as the next slick Russian scorer, eliciting some comparisons to the great Pavel Bure. Obviously, this comparison turned out to be off the marker by a mile and a half.

Everything seemed to go downhill after Chistov's 12-goal, 30-point rookie season with the Ducks. After his first year in The Show, he bounced around in the minors and was never able to become a top-line scorer at either level.

Chistov has at least excelled in the KHL. Over the past four years, the 5-foot-9, 193-pound centre has tallied 124 points in 211 games.

5. Alexander Svitov, 3rd overall in 2001 by the Tampa Bay Lightning

Besides the second-overall pick, Jason Spezza, the talk of the 2001 draft was about the three high-end Russian prospects -- Ilya Kovalchuk, Chistov, and of course, Svitov.

The Lightning bought into the hype, selecting Svitov with the third-overall pick, ahead of Florida Panthers centre Stephen Weiss. Besides a couple exciting toe-to-toe fights, there is not much to remember the 6-foot-3, 198-pound centre by in Tampa Bay. Svitov, who now plays in the KHL, only played 74 games in a Bolts' uniform, netting 11 points.

4. Alexandre Picard, 8th overall in 2004 by the Columbus Blue Jackets

Sixty-seven NHL games later, Picard is yet to score his first big-league goal. And at the age of 26, the 6-foot-2, 206-pounder's window is closing fast. If opportunity doesn't strike soon, Picard could be a lifer in the AHL.

Along with the likes of Nikita Filatov, Rotislav Klesla, Nik Zherdev and Pascal Leclaire - Picard is a first-round draft choice that the Blue Jackets would like to take a mulligan on. To be fair though, Columbus didn't go off the wall with this pick. Picard was the third ranked North American skater by Central Scouting.

3. Lars Jonsson, 7th overall in 2000 by the Boston Bruins

Jonsson went from being touted as the Bruins' future blueline anchor to never suiting up for a single game with them. This change in plans happened because Boston was never able to sign him because of running into problems with the NHL collective bargaining agreement due to Jonsson already being under contract in the Swedish Elite League.

Jonsson finally made his way over to North America in 2006 when he signed with the Philadelphia Flyers. His two-year stint in Philly wasn't exactly smooth, though. He only played eight games with the Flyers, spending the rest of the time with their AHL affiliate. He later went back to his old stomping grounds in the SEL, where he still plays.

2. Petr Taticek, 9th overall in 2002 by the Florida Panthers

Three strikes and he is out -- the story of Taticek's NHL career, as he only suited up for three games in the big leagues.

Taticek was never able to find the back of the net at the consistent pace with the San Antonio Rampage in the AHL after leaving the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds. Therefore, he never gave the Panthers a strong reason to give him a shot.

After struggling in the AHL for four years, Taticek, who was selected ahead of the Carolina Hurricanes' Cam Ward and Washington Capitals' Alex Semin, went back to the Czech Republic. The 6-foot-2, 190-pound centre has since spent the past six seasons with Davos in the Swiss Elite League.

1. Brent Krahn, 9th overall in 2000 by the Calgary Flames

Disregarding the clear-as-day precedents that show drafting a goaltender in the first round rarely pays off, former Flames GM Craig Button looked between the pipes at the 2000 draft, drafting Brent Krahn, who was NHL's Central Scouting Service's top ranked puck-stopper.

Krahn was coming off a 33-6-0 season with the Calgary Hitmen. On the surface, these numbers look like he stood on his head. However, the Hitmen were a stacked team. This is evident in their 58-10-2-2 season finish. Therefore, it seems Krahn's win-loss stat was inflated. Meanwhile, Krahn's .912 save percentage and 2.38 goals-against-average were impressive, but not exactly top-10 draft-pick impressive.

Obviously, Button's risk of selecting Krahn over the likes of Ron Hainsey, Anton Volchenkov and Niklas Kronwall definitely didn't pay off. The 6-foot-5, 220-pounder never suited for a single game for the Flames, due to not reaching organization expectations and a recurring knee injury. He finally made his NHL debut in 2009 with the Dallas Stars. His one-and-only NHL game didn't go smooth, though. Krahn, who is currently out of a puck-stopping job, let three pucks get past him on 12 shots.

stan smyl 2.0

Posted Yesterday, 09:07 AM

It's not 7.5 per year, Kesler's at 5 million and Malhotra's at 2.5 million

#15 coleman26

coleman26

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:05 PM

I'll also be nitpicky and say that a bad draft pick is one where you waste it on someone who clearly wasn't a good choice. Current examples would be someone like Dylan McIlrath who was chosen when Cam Fowler was available, something like 14 picks ahead of where anyone reasonable expected him to be. A list for 'terrible draft choices' should really only incorporate WTF moments, which has never been illustrated better than when the Rangers took Jessiman when Parise was just, like, sitting there, expecting to be taken. Also, Getzlaf, Burns, Brown, Kesler, Richards and Perry. That's a bad draft choice. Choosing a goalie who doesn't work out is a bust. I don't think busts necessarily mean it was a bad choice. You need a goalie, you take the best one available, especially if the people left in the draft or hit-and-miss, right?

#16 coleman26

coleman26

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:08 PM

or, and as a Jets fan this destroys me, fricken Mark Scheifele. Why didn't you trade down if you were going to do that? Or, like, call an audible because you didn't think Coutourier would be available, and just... take him instead. Terrible choice.

#17 Hobble

Hobble

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,664 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:55 PM

or, and as a Jets fan this destroys me, fricken Mark Scheifele. Why didn't you trade down if you were going to do that? Or, like, call an audible because you didn't think Coutourier would be available, and just... take him instead. Terrible choice.

Scheifele is hardly a bust yet. He played a lot of hockey last season, bulked up this off-season, and played very well in the 4 games series against Russia. When the Jets selected him, they knew he'd be a year or two away, so we will see how he performs this season or next.

#18 coleman26

coleman26

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:02 PM

I'm not calling him a bust. I'm saying he was chosen so far out of position that it will never justify it. Jets could have traded down to the 20's and gotten Sheifele, and then the kid would never have to play his entire career with people mentioning how the Jets 'should have' taken Coutourier. I can't imagine league interest was boiling over to such a point that taking Scheifele that early can ever be justified. I like him, I've liked watching him play, he was just a bad choice where he was chosen.

#19 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,317 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:59 PM

If the player's name is not Aladeen then he is a bust!
Posted Image

#20 shiznak

shiznak

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,406 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 04:01 PM

Jeff Skinner was ranked in the 20's by Central Scouting and the Canes picked him with the 7th overall pick.

Look how well Skinner turn out for them.

BaOiJ02.png

#21 coleman26

coleman26

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 04:06 PM

Well played. If Scheifele ends up being Jeff Skinner-esque in any way, I'll weep.

#22 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,421 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 06:15 PM

Too early to fully write him off yet.

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#23 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,421 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 06:18 PM

Scheifele had a great pre-season last year and performed even better in junior this year than last.

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#24 coleman26

coleman26

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 06:23 PM

I'm not anti-Scheifele. I've been following his progress closely, actually, and I'm really pleased with his development. It's just one of those situations where, they walk up at #7, and Coutourier is sitting there, and everyone's drooling over him because he's basically a sure-thing, and they go 'well, we could take this top tier prospect that fell into our laps, or we could roll the dice on this guy that we see potential in' - If the Jets had traded down to, even, 15, picked up a 3rd rounder along the way, they could have gotten Scheifele anyways. I just think that passing on Coutourier and hoping that your guy will come through to you is a risky play, especially for a team that is not as strong both in the NHL and in their prospect pools to justify it. I feel like, if I were in that position, I have a lot of needs and Coutourier will fill one. Scheifele might.

TL:DR - I don't think Scheifele is bad. I think Coutourier is better and I would have picked him. Like I said earlier, it's a McIlrath/Fowler situation. I don't think McIlrath is trash, I just think it's a bad decision to walk away from a superior player because you had your eye on someone.

#25 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,789 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 06:47 PM

My list (for whatever reason I already had like a half written up list of the worst picks of all-time, so I just did a little bit of work to make this one).
Lars Jonsson gets a bit of a pass since Boston was rewarded a 2nd round pick in 2006 for compensation for being unable to sign him. The compensation pick wasn't very good (Yury Alexandrov... yeah), but added onto the fact that 2000 was just an awful draft year, I felt like I would cut him some slack.

Blake Wheeler (RW) drafted 5th Overall in 2004 by the Phoenix Coyotes
Like Justin Schultz this year, Wheeler became a FA after completing University, where he signed with Boston. A good player, but a bad pick for the Coyotes.

Thomas Hickey (D) drafted 4th Overall in 2007 by the LA Kings
LA went off the board to select Hickey, and picked him ahead of defenceman such as Karl Alzner, Kevin Shattenkirk, and Ryan McDonagh. Has struggled in the AHL, and is low on the Kings depth chart. Time has began to run out.

Mikhail Yakubov © drafted 10th Overall in 2000 by the Chicago Blackhawks
The last of a long list of poor top 10 picks in 2000, Yakubov never lived up to his hype of being the next Russian star. He put up 12 points in 53 games before bolting back to Russia in 2006.

Nikita Filatov (LW) drafted 6th Overall in 2008 by the Columbus Blue Jackets
Had issues with coaching, and after 3 uneventful seasons Filatov was traded to Ottawa for a 3rd round pick where his struggles in the NHL continued. His NHL career likely ended as he signed a contract in the KHL earlier this year.

Stanislav Chistov (W) drafted 5th Overall in 2001 by the Anaheim Ducks
Just 1 season after being drafted, Chistov showed promise by putting up 30 points in his first NHL season. Over his next 2 seasons (he played 2 in Russia in between) he put up a combined total of 31, before returning to Russia for good.

Brent Krahn (G) drafted 9th Overall in 2000 by the Calgary Flames
Regarded as one of the next big Goaltenders, Krahn never became anything more than a big goalie (6’4 232lbs). In 1 career NHL game, Krahn has a GAA of 9.00.

Petr Taticek © drafted 9th Overall in 2002 by the Florida Panthers
The struggles for Taticek began quickly after being drafted. His numbers in the OHL did not improve, and he then went on to futile production in the AHL the years after. Taticek got a brief 3 game stint with the Panthers in 2006, but never played in the NHL again.

Alexandre Picard (LW) drafted 8th Overall in 2004 by the Columbus Blue Jackets
Many people point to the Blue Jackets struggles with drafting Russian prospects early in the 1st round to be a big reason in their futility, however Picard was proof that it didn’t matter where they drafted players from. Picard has had 5 stints in the NHL, his last in 2010, and has put up 2 points in 67 games.

Alexander Svitov © drafted 3rd Overall in 2001 by the Tampa Bay Lightning
Svitov was a can’t miss prospect, though his offensive game was suspect, he was a big body not afraid to throw his weight around, and had been playing against men in Russia since he was just 16. However Svitov was taken away from the game of hockey for nearly a whole year by the Russian Army, and his game never recovered from it. He played in 179 games with the Blue Jackets (after being traded for Daryl Sydor) before returning back to Russia.

Hugh Jessiman (RW) drafted 12th Overall in 2003 by the New York Rangers
The 2003 draft is considered to be one of the best of all-time. Numerous superstars and all-stars were selected in the 1st round, along with a handful of respectable depth and role players. And then there was Hugh Jessiman. After a dominating performance in his Freshman year in Dartmouth, it seemed that Hugh was going to be a force in the NHL for years to come. However, his game began to slip, and 2 years later Jessiman only put up 2 points in 12 games for Dartmouth before leaving to play in the AHL, where he has spent nearly his whole career. With the exception of a 2 game call-up that could almost be marked as a sympathy call, Jessiman has never graduated into the big leagues.

Edited by Jagermeister, 23 August 2012 - 06:50 PM.

Posted Image

#26 Jason Garrison

Jason Garrison

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:07 PM

I would say Brent Krahn. Hugh Jessiman is up there.

JG
Posted Image
Credit to Henrik Sedin

My PS3 NHL 13 Be A GM Online League. LINK: http://forum.canucks...two-spots-left/

#27 buddhai

buddhai

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:09 PM

ryan parent?

#28 brewdog

brewdog

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:12 AM

Rick DP would top my list, just because of the money he has been paid in comparison to his return. High draft picks bust all the time, but at least most disappear without a wheelbarrow full of money.

Since signing his 'lifetime' contract, he can arguably be said to be earning $375K per win, based on some quick math. By comparison, if we had paid Luongo $375K/win over the same period of time (6 years), he would have earned an average of $14M/year.

DP also boasts a lifetime 2-7 record in the Playoffs. Two Playoff wins! He's going to be 31 years old in a few days. Even if he had been healthy these past several years, his game would probably naturally be leading into decline due to his age.

#29 sQuish

sQuish

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:45 PM

Didn't see a thread. Got this from a hockey Facebook page:

http://hockeyreporte...since-2000.html

Seriously a pet peeve of mind... is it really that difficult for you to also paste the article in the thread instead of forcing us all to click your link and load another page? I mean really...

#30 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,210 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:22 PM

Seriously a pet peeve of mind... is it really that difficult for you to also paste the article in the thread instead of forcing us all to click your link and load another page? I mean really...

Are you incapable of clicking the link? You aren't going to break a sweat doing so

I mean, are we actually complaining about this? lmao. I'm not sure if you're just trolling or actually being a cry baby but then again I've also seen similar posts from other people. I guess I'll have to paste the article next time to avoid the tears of certain posters.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.