The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What have you paid a lot money for and then immediately realised it was a terrible mistake/decision to buy it?

Caboose

I purchased a Vancouver Millionaires jersey online the day I found out about them. Was also the last day he was in business before the brand was bought out by the Canucks. I quickly realized that I probably had made an error giving a guy money the day he was going out of business without having jersey in hand....and as expected my jersey never showed up.

When I rebuilt the engine on my porsche, I got porsche to recast the right and left exhaust manifold. It was done in their factory in the Netherlands and I paid $2500 a side plus duty. I could have bought the knock off parts in the states for $500 per side. At the time I wanted to keep the engine with original porsche parts but honestly if I sell the car I will not get any more money. So me stupid.

I squeeze every penny and research the item for a while before buying. I go into stores, talk with sales associates, check out the items just to leave and buy it later online. If I felt I didn't like it, I could just return it and I shamelessly buy a lot of things as a sort of trial period. Games and movies are the only things I would not be able to return.

$60 dollars doesn't mean as much since graduating and getting a job but I could easily be let go in this early period so I am not splurging like a lot of my friends are.

You could avoid purchase mistakes by being like my brother-in-law who analyzes every purchase down to the penny and researches endlessly to the point where he ends up either never buying anything new or buying whatever the ratings say to buy regardless of whether its what he really wanted or not. Dude drives me crazy. He has a 6 year old phone and is constantly waiting for the next big thing to come out rather than buying whats best right now. Hes been doing this for over 3 years now. Currently waiting for the i5. But he wont get it cuzz Samsung or whoever will be close to their next whatever and he will keep waiting.

Archived