The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mason Raymond gets some NHL.com lovin'

BernieMac

Cmon man, like him or not this is sooooooooooooooooo wrong. He always looks to pass, especially compared to his line mates in Booth and Kes. Despite popular belief, and there are stats to prove, he can often be found close to the net causing problems for opposing defensemen. Just look at the Bos and LA series where he was the only noticeable threat. He is the fastest player on the team and among the best defensively.

Sounds about right. I would agree that Raymond is slightly better than the average NHL left winger - flame away haters - he's a good two-way forward who has understandably struggled, and is a below average cap hit. Booth at 39 puts him in the top 10 among 2nd line LWs - pretty generous imo. When you consider that the Canucks also have Higgins, who can do it all, and who I value more highly than Booth, particularly when you consider his cap hit - as well as Daniel, who is obviously in the top handful - and Burrows, who is a natural left winger playing the right side because of the Canucks over-balance on the left and lack of natural right wings - I'd say the Canucks are probably the best, deepest team in the NHL when it comes to that position.

Him being a just missed means that that he is not one of the top 50 left wingers which means he is not one of the best 150 forwards in the league (when you factor in the top 50 C and LW).   This means he sucks.  Can everyone please just realize that he is aweful.  This team will be better when he is not on it anymore.

How many chances should we give him? Seriously? I refuse to support him and have always hated the way he plays. He is a selfish player. He NEVER passes the puck. He takes poor percentage shots that never have a chance over passing to the open man. He can't skate properly, nor can he stay on his feet. He is afraid to go to the dirty areas. He sucks on Defence. Please...somebody tell me why we are supporting this plug? I cannot wait for the day that he is no longer on our team!

Agreed, the Canuck's brass have spent so much time on "lost projects", such as Raymond, Pyatt, and Bernier. Meanwhile, our patience was severely thin for players like Grabner and Hodgson.

Hansen was also given the short stick being regulated in the AHL, press box, or 4th line. He only became a regular in the lineup after the departure of Bernier and Pyatt.

Like Luongo, he has been giving a hard time. I mean it wasn't so long ago that he had a breakout 50 point season. He had a rough season the year after and obviously last year his points went down again, and a big reason of that probably would be his back recovery. The same happened to Kesler and Manny and neither of them have been given the same treatment (by the fans) as Raymond has.

Also, may I point out that Raymond could (and reminds me of) be like Bieksa. Was hated for a few years and rumoured to be traded for 2-3 years, and then all of sudden had one strong year and since then has been one of the best d-man we've had. Raymond could very well be the same. He, like most young players (the guy is still only 26) needs a little work and developing and then he can be great for us. Lets not forget that Burrows was a guy that was in his late 20's before he became the great offensive player he is now. Some players take longer, let's just wish the guy the best and lay off him a bit, that may also help him focus a bit more.

If Raymond is just missed at $2.1 mill, imagine if many had their wish and we had traded Schneider for Malone and his salary ($5 mill by memory?)??? I can imagine the greeting he would actually get from CDC!

That should put in perspective that Raymond ain't that bad. He is a peripheral player, meaning he plays well off the talent of others and adds complimentary skills (speed, back checking, some goals). The key for his return is a return to play making effectiveness for Kesler (or someone else). The problem is guys expect him to carry a line, but he is not the guys that handles the puck.We all know he gets knocked down when he tries. We just have not had the balanced line up that guys like Raymond need.

http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=640458

Mason Raymond got listed in the "Just Missed" section for the top fantasy left wings in the league. Meaning Mason Raymond is in the top 50 left wingers?

Perhaps some are hating on him too much? I realize the list is about potential stats this year. Would sure be nice if Raymond lived up to that this year.

Also, David Booth is there at 39th. That gives us 3 LW in the top 50?

Gooo Canucks!!!

Him being a just missed means that that he is not one of the top 50 left wingers which means he is not one of the best 150 forwards in the league (when you factor in the top 50 C and LW). This means he sucks. Can everyone please just realize that he is aweful. This team will be better when he is not on it anymore.

How many chances should we give him? Seriously? I refuse to support him and have always hated the way he plays. He is a selfish player. He NEVER passes the puck. He takes poor percentage shots that never have a chance over passing to the open man. He can't skate properly, nor can he stay on his feet. He is afraid to go to the dirty areas. He sucks on Defence. Please...somebody tell me why we are supporting this plug? I cannot wait for the day that he is no longer on our team!

Like Luongo, he has been giving a hard time. I mean it wasn't so long ago that he had a breakout 50 point season. He had a rough season the year after and obviously last year his points went down again, and a big reason of that probably would be his back recovery. The same happened to Kesler and Manny and neither of them have been given the same treatment (by the fans) as Raymond has.

Also, may I point out that Raymond could (and reminds me of) be like Bieksa. Was hated for a few years and rumoured to be traded for 2-3 years, and then all of sudden had one strong year and since then has been one of the best d-man we've had. Raymond could very well be the same. He, like most young players (the guy is still only 26) needs a little work and developing and then he can be great for us. Lets not forget that Burrows was a guy that was in his late 20's before he became the great offensive player he is now. Some players take longer, let's just wish the guy the best and lay off him a bit, that may also help him focus a bit more.

Archived